Register now to get rid of these ads!

Built my pops a 40's SPRINT CAR for christmas, STREET LEGAL, Flatty powered... PICS!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joshua Shaw, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Damn its been a hard two months. Nov. 1st I decided to build my dad a 1940 flathead powered fullsize sprinter. He has a 1969 Nance sprinter but like 99% of them, its the real deal and can't be driven just anywhere anytime..
    So, When i ended up with a complete 37' chassis, engine/tranny and all I thought, "it would be cool to build a turn key, street legal sprint car to run around town in.
    I have been dying to post build pics on here but this project was TOP SECRET!! I didn't know who might see it and mention something.
    I gave it to him tonight 95% done.. I still gotta paint it, get a seat stitched, and polish the stainless headers. BUT IT RUNS AND DRIVES!! We made a few hard laps around the shop parking lot throwin lots of gravel!!
    I drove it on the road Sat. IT HAULS ASS!!! Just the blip of the throttle and she's sideways on DRY pavement!! I cant wait to drive the shit out it this summer... when i can get my ol' man out of it!

I'd say I got Christmas, Fathers Day, and his Birthday wrapped up for a while!!!!

Joshua Shaw
    P.S. I gotta thank my Fiance Beth for paying the bills the last two months so I could do this!!

ENJOY..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brewsir

brewsir

that's a pretty awesome xmas gift....but I'm curious...where's the lights and legal stuff?

3. sociallydistorted

sociallydistorted

I was wondering the same thing. That is definately the best gift I've seen in a long time. Well done!

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

When I started this build I just wanted to build it and move on... But the more I built it I realized That I needed to build a few more to sell. I now have two ordered... Replica's of old cars long gone.
    In doing so, I thought abuot how hard dad and I are going to run this thing, and how many hours you can wrap up in an aluminum body... So I spent three weeks at night at a buddys fiberglass shop and built a mold for these bodies. I now own the mold. I plan on having these bodies available this summer at Swap meets and shows.
    I was also clever enuough to split the mold down the middle of the body so I can make "Halfs" to paint and letter up for the ULTIMATE WALL HANGERS!!!

[​IMG]

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

now that's damn cool.... can't wait to see how it gets all finished up...

6. Dirty2

Dirty2

That is nothing but great !!!! Too Cool !

7. joshua,
    that is really cool any wonder your dad is smiling. i hope now it is no longer a secret project maybe you can post the buidup pics.
    thanks.
    Al.

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

95% finished... Ha Ha. That includes lights! The tailights are early Chevy, they fit under the rear shocks next to the header hidden, the headlights will be 2" by 3 1/2 " drive lights. the front shock mounts are actually a steel box made for these. They will shine out between the spring and axle. The car is wired for it all just didn't get time to do it.
    Its titled as a 34 plymouth sedan... Works for rat rods.

Thanks guys.

Joshua Shaw

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

That is extremely Bitching. How about some youtube video of it getting sideways???

10. noboD

noboD

Wow!! Lucky Dad.

11. chilimac

chilimac

That is awesome.It has got to be a blast to drive,it will sure make people look twice ripping down the road.

12. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I've got a flatty with four deuces that would look killllllller in that.

Cincy ain't far, hmmmm:cool:

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

So, what are these bodies going to sell for? When will they be available? How do we order one? where do we pick one up? I'm not excited at all, can you tell?:eek::cool::D

Frank

14. john56h

john56h

How come I never get anything like that for Christmas? I was good all year too!

Well, my Wife did buy me a vintage Midget slot car model for Christmas last year...does that count?

Great job...someday I'm going to build something similar to that.

15. gas pumper

gas pumper

Corngrower32, we're gonna need more pics to see the mechanical details, you know how we are:)

Are you running an open rear or are they locked?

Hand clutch?

Great car, and well done. thanks for sharing!

Frank

16. tattfrog

tattfrog

My Dad would have loved it.Great Job,Your Dad is a lucky man.

17. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I was going to stop by the shop Saturday, I was down the street helping my buddy take apart a '46 International he just bought and was out beatin' around the in the '35. Keeps looking better everytime I see it! I'll holler at ya after Christmas, I still owe you $20 anyways!

18. NealinCA

NealinCA

Bitchin' car. Nice proportions and details. I looks just right.

Neal

19. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Very Kool, Should have gave me a call, my wifeys work has a chopper gun!

20. TV

TV

That is one sweet sprinter style car. You and your DAD should be very proud. Very nice work.--TV

21. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Wow!! That turned out nice.......I wish I had 2 months of free time to work on my cars....
    The only things I would change are:
    -The front spring, get something without the posies dimples to make it look more period correct, posies makes a retro spring.
    -Change the spring shackles and get some with castle nuts and zirk fittings.
    -Get a round brake pedal, something pre 1940, lots out there available.
    -Build a rear trans mount, you really need something solid there where the torque tube connects.
    -Get a generator mount with a clamp, that mounts onto the front of the manifold---then you could run another straight copper tube to match the right side with the left, instead of having it off center.

It looks great!

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

23. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

thats really cool Josh. Hope to see you and your dad soon.

24. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

25. any chance you want to be adopted???

26. Ebert

Ebert

Great job!!!! What a great thing to do for your pops!!!
    Merry Christmas!

27. myke

myke
    from SoCal

That thing is cool!

28. dechrome

dechrome

That is a very nice car and a great gift for your father.
    I have a similar flathead powered sprinter that is street driven. It has been drag raced in the 80s but with a bolt in rollbar and a lap seat belt it didn't seem smart. I have driven it at IRP with the Midwest Oldtimers vintage Club which was a real kick. Thanks for posting. I will try to post a picture.
    deChrome

Attached Files: