Register now to get rid of these ads!

Four door 1949 lincoln

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irondoctor, Dec 24, 2007.

1. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I bought (cheap) a 4 door Lincoln a while back and don't know what to do with it. I have noticed a few articles in mags and a few posts about making a 2 door out of a four door. This Lincoln is a hard top so I think it may even be easier than some of the conversions I have seen. I would of course have to extend the front doors as it would most likely be difficult to find a pair of 2 dr. doors. Anyone have a 2 door Lincoln that would be willing to measure the door length?
    Did Lincoln make a 2 door hard top? Any thought about this?

2. The thought of a chopped 4 door hardtop is making my dick hard....

3. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Sorry to get you all worked up But after surfing around for some pictures I don't think its a hard top. It is a cosmopolitan and just has the fancy chrome all around the doors. I have only seen it a few times. Still sitting where i bought it.

4. Thats okay...I,ll just go wash it while there are no wrinkles in it!

5. jeffrob

jeffrob

post some pics, I would leave it alone and drive it, 4 door hard tops are definitely cool..........

6. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Here is my old 49 4dr its in Finland now! [​IMG]

7. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

^ Thats is a good looking car. I would not change too much from stock and have a very good looking mild custom. Any pictures of yours?

8. chopped

chopped

I'm not a fan of 4 doors but, I'd make an exception in this case. It's never going to be sleek & sexy but will make a cool "Big Ass Cruiser".

9. Spooky

Spooky

I LOVE Fordors.

Especially hardtop 4-drs.
    This thing is begging to be dropped, skirted and just a minor shaving front and rear. Lower in the ass end of course.

But on the 4-dr VS 2-Dr front, let's drop it already.

There are highs and lows in the field for both sides. 2-dr sedans from the 60's can be asstacular and 4-dr sedans(Dodge Pheonix circa 1961 for example) that suck just as bad.

My opinion.

10. pics man ! pics you gotta feed the machine ..

11. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Well if it were anywhere near as nice as Busted Knuckles car I would just drive it and be happy. However it is a rusty heap, I said it was cheap. I need to build rockers and patch the floors. It has no motor, trans, or interior. What got me thinking was that 51 Kaiser that was posted on the 18th. Wow what a transformation. I will get some pictures and posted soon.

12. build it and ratmotor will come!!!!! lol

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A Lincoln is a Mercury in a tuxedo so build it as a classy four door mild custom and watch the heads turn! There are hundreds out here who would jump to own such a car, I'm sure.

14. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Keep in mind: He's already said it's a Cosmo-that is an entirely different body than the ones that look like Mercs. It still might make an interesting custom but it sure ain't going to accept all the proven Mercury cliches.

15. I have bought a '49 Lincoln coupe from Miami. It is due to arrive here Jan 26th. I am in New Zealand.
    I will hunt out some pics and post them here.
    I intend to go down the Merc custom route with a few twists.
    It still has the original 337 flattie and auto as well.
    Not sure whether to keep them or not at this stage.

Cheers.

16. Pic here now.

Attached Files:

17. that's the two door...nice..

tok

18. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I have a 51 four door and they are about the only 4 door I like. I've had others for practicality, but would have rather had a 2 door. Those 4 door Lincs and Mercs are nice.

19. StrickV8

StrickV8

just drop it, skirt it, and shave it. it'll make a cool sled. we hope to do this to our 50 someday.

Attached Files:

20. I have owned a hot flattie powered '49 Merc fordor in the past.
    Also a custom pink and flamed '51 fordor Merc. 302 c4 lakes etc.
    Now is the time to step up and go the chopped and dropped Lincoln coupe way with my new '49.
    A lifetime waiting for the perfect vehicle to be creative with...

21. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Is it a 2 or 4 door? :confused:

22. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">More doors can be just as cool as two doors if done right! Rags
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

23. evilgenius

evilgenius

oh my. that thing just SCREAMS old school lowrider.

24. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Nothing like a Merc.

25. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

I may be mistaken but here is how it was explained to me in the past more than a few times. What we all know as the "49 Merc" was designed to be a Ford, what we know as the "49 Lincoln" was designed to be the Mercury. I have no idea as to why this was done. The only thing I can see possible was the dropping of the Lincoln Continental in 49 , 48 being its last year untill a few years latter when it returned.