Register now to get rid of these ads!

GREAT AMBR news!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Dec 21, 2007.

1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Don't know if it's already been said- or if it's a secret- but just heard the Ala Kart is in for the big trophy at the AMBR to celebrate the 50th anniversary of its FIRST win!!! (yeah Barris haters and hecklers- it won TWICE in '58 & '59 and didn't compete the third year so the owners cousin could have a shot- with another Barris prepped car- can you top that?).

2. John Denich

John Denich

That is great, I can't wait to see it!

John

3. Hey Jim, I happen to be a Barris heckler and think this is REALLY cool news! Maybe it is the start of a change away from overly smooth paperweights!

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Is it true if you win three times with the same car, you get to keep the trophy. if so, the ala kart has no chance.. I an not see them giving that trophy away

5. you make barris heckling sound like a bad thing!!:D

6. Spooky

Spooky

Howza Bruthas-

The Ala Kart in full contention?

Let's see-
    It was made by someone else besides the owner.

Has modified wheels.

Has a different engine.

Custom paint and was fabbed beyond beleif.

Oh, and was built by a builder with quite a lot of reputation behind himself.

Wouldn't it be kewl.........

7. turdytoo

turdytoo

I thought that cars in the sweestake catagory could only be shown for two years without a major change in the old days. I really doubt that Richard Peters didn't compete for the AMBR so Chuck could win. I also remember stories of Chuck actually driving his '29 to high school at Clovis before it got Barrisized and became the "Emperor". Anywho, the Ala Kart is a legend, and if it wins it will be politics as usual.

8. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Most greats are not fully appreciated until they are gone. We're not talking about a guy that made ONE Rudy truck clone (an event worthy of great HAMB praise)- But George Barris!!! Don't know why the "new guys" feel so inclined to knocking him around- made so much of what we love today happen- more than most will ever know. Love the saying lately- "Without great risk there is no great reward" To me that's George Barris. Out of HUNDREDS of cars they can't all be Hirohata's and Ala Karts- but plenty of fine ones I will spend the rest of my days lusting over.

9. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

That's what I've read more than once- that Barris didn't want to split his votes and possibly lose altogether- so the Ala Kart was retired in its still prime.

10. What are the chances that Ala Kart will make it up to the show at the cow palace in SFO?

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Like it or not it is the...........ICON HOT ROD.

12. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Not good- it's going on display in the NHRA Museum for a while after the AMBR.

13. metalman

metalman

First off, I think it would be great, I'm tired of the AMBR and Ridder cars of the last few years but who's kidding who? The Ala Kart might of been state of the art in 1958 but no way it could compete with these high dollar builds competing today. I'm talking car show standards ( you know, the stuff the judges look at) and not style.

14. It was the most famous hotrod in the period that all consider the prime time of traditional hotrodding. To bring it to it's show condition is a worthy and commendable thing. My hats off to all concerned with this showcar. I just wish I could be there to see it.
    I had a chance to buy it in the seventies, when it was in Mesa, and I thought he wanted too much money. My bad.

15. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I don't think anyone would want to restore it to a state where it could beat a Chip or Troy creation (are those even hot rods? More like Detroit dream cars dressed like rods- not a dis, but not what most of us like), but if there ever will be a people favorite that the average guy is rooting for it will be the Ala Kart- even though it was the super high tech of its day. I cannot see any of the entrants from the last dozen years experiencing that same kind of appreciation in 50 years- I can't even remember (or care) who won 5 years ago.

16. Spooky

Spooky

Awright-

Here is a stab at the whit underbelly of the whels that make things turn. But what if we here united on the HAMB stand UNITED with ONE voice to coerce the judges somehow to vote the Ala Kart into the winner's circle?

17. metalman

metalman

Amen, but unfortunatly AMBR isn't a peoples choice award. Interesting point. I too could of told anyone about who won in 58/59 but can't name the winner 5 years ago, nor do I remember which car. Kinda sad for these guys spending all that money for just "5 minutes of fame"

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I saw the Ala Kart in NYC in the early 1960's and would like to see it again, what are the dates for the AMBR show?

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

AMBR 2002 winner ...
    It started life as a real, original Henry Ford 1932 Ford roadster. It belong tp Paul Trussel ... He lives about 5 or 10 miles from my home ... here in South Carolina.

I think it is the LAST real decent looking ... almost driveable AMBR winner :)
    His 32 5W ... is in the background ... and it is just as nice ...

20. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I hope the display has the"foil" covered jack stands that the original did.

21. eticket

eticket

Oh come on Modesto isn't that far, I am up in Dublin, and I'll do the same thing I did for the rainy Cruise For a Cure :) Drive down to Bakersfield on Friday night, then blaze on down to AMBR. I would have done the same thing for the Mooneyes show, but I was stuck working the whole weekend. :(

Mike

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Jim, I have to disagree with you. The work that the Barris brothers did from the late '40s to the early '60s was spectacular and absolutely defined the whole class of Kustom cars. From the time of Sam's death and George's involvement with showbiz, I think the quality of work with Barris' name on it went straight into the tank. I admire the early stuff immensely and give both brothers huge credit for accomplishing it, but I believe that George's activities for the last 40 years are an embarrassment. Pioneer or not, he has put his name on a huge volume of shit. Shame on him.

As for the Ala Kart -- it was a remarkable piece of work in its day, and certainly stands as a milestone show car. There is no philosophical difference, though, between the over-the-top execution of the Kart in the '50s and a Foose creation of the new millennium: both are bucks-up, impractical creations with features piled on merely to impress show judges. And Chip's stuff, frankly, is better designed.

If the Ala Kart won the GNRS in this millennium, it would be like awarding an actor an Oscar for a current performance because of his past work, not what's happening now. I hope that doesn't happen.

23. I agree with 50Fraud, I think it is excellent that this icon is competing again. Would be nice to see more of this in the future. -MIKE:cool:

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I want to see the Ala Kart again, but having it compete with current cars, is the same as A.J.Foyt winning the 2008 INDY 500 in a Watson roadster.

25. turdytoo

turdytoo

If the Indy 500 was run by NASCAR, It could happen. Don't think politics is in car shows? We won "Best of Show" once and placed second in "Best Open"at a show one time. When I questioned an official as to how this was possible, his reply was that they did'nt want to make the ******'s mad.

26. 50 fraud nailed it.
    I used to be a Barris Basher, now I have Jim A and the Torquepeters to take his place.

27. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

AMBR show is at Pomona now, I think. Wasn't '99 last year for Cow Palace?

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I have nothing for you and others to bash other than my respect to a man who has made Kustom kars his life for the last 60 years and turned on millions of people to them. Just because Joe Namath can't still throw an 80 yard pass, take tackles or has hawked panty hose doesn't diminish his early greatness as a Football player. Others may have done it better- but the path was laid by George Barris, period.

Everyone that that thinks I'm off-base on this please share your personal idols and let me take a crack at them- and maybe I can take some personal shots at you and your vehicles while I'm at it, seems to be a lot of fun to some of you, I'd like to see what I'm missing out on! (DISCLAIMER: That last part was purely sarcastic for witty remark impaired- I leave the real bashing to the uninformed).

29. hollenbeck32

hollenbeck32

Hey Guys
    Yes it is going to be in contention for AMBR at the Grand National show in Pomona, Just think What if? after 50 years
    It will also be displayed like it was in 58' and yes with the foil covered jackstands.
    It will be displayed along with Brother Sam's Merc.
    It should be a cool display.

Later
    Darryl

30. I think it's great that a car/truck that many of us could come close to duplicating now is going to show up & compete for the big one. It doesn't have a chance in hell against today's competition & standards but it is cool that it will be there..... if for no other reason than to make the judges take the time to look it over.

Now, what would really be cool is if the whole field was of similar build quality as the Ala Kart. I just finished reading the story on the Orange Crate in TRJ. That SOB won it twice with a Zolotoned interior.

JH