Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody Remember "The Old 67 Speedway" Garland Tx

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32HiboyRoadster, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

I should have look closer at your post and noticed that you were going today. I live less then 10 minutes from there. I would have joined you.

I went back and looked at the dates the original track was open.I think my parents would have been like 15-17. Ill ask my mom and see if she remebers.

2. Anderson

Anderson

This is the most amazing post I've seen on here this year. I've lived around this area all my life and while I'm certainly not old enough to know about any track there, it's awesome to know one was. Very cool!!

3. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

want to go poke around some more. I can go early Sat morning?

I also emailed the Garland Chamber of Commerce to see if they have any record of that area. May not get a answer but worth a shot.

4. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

I bet they would not let us run there again. Thanks for the pic's.
    Robert

5. 32HiboyRoadster

32HiboyRoadster

Very cool. I'll let you know if Jim finds anything at his Mothers this weekend. Sure would be interesting if somebody had some pictures.

6. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

Im going to go look on saturday. I remember there is also a old track like this on the Texas/Okl border. About 8 years ago my dad took me out there becasue he used to race there. You could see the turns still and the old light pools. This would have been in the late 60's or so. Closest big town is Bonham. I cant remeber if the road is 69 or 78

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

I never heard of it but I know a lot of old dirt racers that I will ask. SUPER post !!! I used to do hot laps at the OLD Devils bowl .

8. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

dont you drive past it ever day?

9. Anderson

Anderson

I'm going to have Wayne break out his little black book tomorrow to see if he can find anyone with more information or possible pictures.

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

I remember J.R Gilreath and Dean Danieals (sp) used to be 1st and second at the old Bowl and thunderbird .

11. malkintent

malkintent

this kind of post makes my day.
    thanks for the investigation.
    nice to see them government laser platforms up there can be used by us layman as well.

he

12. Dirty2

Dirty2

Yea , I bet Loden will know about it.

13. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Really cool post! Makes me want to see some more aerial shots of what used to be...

14. chicken coupe cook

chicken coupe cook

Old pics of the original Devils Bowl off of Buckner Blvd
    behind the Buckner Drivein in S. E. Dallas!

[​IMG]
    Count the 32 fords!

[​IMG]
    Alot of vintage tin was destroyed! Devils Bowl 1950.

[​IMG]
    Original sign from the Devils Bowl before it relocated to Mesquite, TX.

Don

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

You got to have more pictures than that !!

16. chicken coupe cook

chicken coupe cook

Hey Dirty2
    i have alot more racing pics!
    what are you looking for?
    i'm a big fan of dirt track racing!

Don

17. chicken coupe cook

chicken coupe cook

18. Rusty

Rusty

Man that is awesome, Sorry I did not get to go, Sure kicking myself in the rear now. Thanks for posting

RUsty

19. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

are you going to go to your Dad's shop tomorow morning? ill meet you out there. This is just so cool to me. I always read on here when people from other areas post stuff like this. But when its in your own back yard it makes it even cooler

20. Dirty2

Dirty2

21. 32HiboyRoadster

32HiboyRoadster

Here's an email I got from Jim (the owners son) this morning after he saw this post.

The Devils Bowl, when it was on Buckner, would have been about 6 miles from this track (US 67 Raceway).

Still looking for pictures of this track. Thanks

22. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

If amyone is going to go out there. Be carefull. Wear long pant and boots. I saw a few snakes and the grass is really high.

There really isn't much to see (just a bunck of dirt and trees) but it is still cool. Have fun and be safe.

23. Drove by the spot of the track today, and almost ran into somebody on 30 trying to see down there from the freeway... great post.

24. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

haha white 4 wheel drive cab and a 1/2 Ford with black tool box and head ache rack you almost hit?

25. Road King

Road King

If your looking for info on old Texas tracks, The old guys hang out at the Texas Speedzone. txsz.com then go to Texas racing history forum.
    Road King

26. H.a.m.b. Rules!!

27. Elrod

Elrod

Yesterday I stopped by my friends house, Ed Sissom. He was a big time dirt track racer in the 40s and 50s in Dallas, Waco, and even did some racing for about 6 monts up in Missouri.

I asked him if he remembered a track off of HWY 67 and Zion. He paused for a moment, and then said, "Oh yeah! I raced there a few times. Right off the highway on the left side?" (if leaving Dallas, that would be correct)
    He went on to say, "I remember that the track was really wooded. There were trees all around it. Even the infield had trees all in the middle" I asked, "How would spectators see across the track?" He replied, "The trees weren't that thick, and you could see the racers coming around."

I said that people on the board thought the track was there in the early 60s. His son, Buddy raced in the 60s, and Buddy said, "I don't remember that track at all." Ed, who raced in the 40s said, "No.. That track was much older. It was there right after the war in the 40s, but wasn't there very long." I asked if he remembered who ran the track, and he didn't.

He did say that JT Shacklet ran a track in Crandall.

28. Frank

Frank

Man, I would have loved to join you guys. Sounds like fun. That's really close to me too.

29. mykwillis

mykwillis

not much has changed. LOL! who dosen't like to drink, race, talk shit and fight? :D

30. 32HiboyRoadster

32HiboyRoadster

Here's a picture of a flyer/handbill that Jim located at his Mom's this weekend. The Big Town Mall opened in 1959 and was the first indoor air conditioned shopping center in this part of the country.

Attached Files: