Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lee Chapel / Tornado Speed Equipment ... definitive post??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, May 5, 2007.

1. autobilly

autobilly

Loved reading you'r catalog Jimmy.

2. Check out the Ford Wheel adaptors for 75 cents each! Not a new idea like many of us prob thought!

3. Insane Rob

Insane Rob

I personally love old and new land speed record cars.
    They have a certain mystery behind them and such fluid beauty. Everyone knows how to go down a drag strip, but not that many people know what it takes to go down a patch of salt or dirt.
    Even the script and logos on them are nice.
    They will always be my favorite types of race cars. Well that and prototype and production indurance cars like the Bentley Speed 8 and the Austin Martin DBR9 that ran Le Mans and Daytona...well I cant forget the Auto Union Grand Prix cars either. But I better stop before I keep going.
    All I have to say about the parts and car is hope the original catalog and information never disapear because that will be a great loss of really cool stuff.

4. mcload

mcload

Way too cool for words!

P

5. Wow...awesome post guys

so who's got some current photo's of these tornado parts, surely some of you 'collectors' have them locked away for a rainy day?

Cheers,

Drewfus

6. Zombilly

Zombilly

Wow This is great stuff!

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Andrew, On my other computer I've got a picture of the new Tornado side plate for a Stovebolt 6. The trouble is that its layed up big time, so it'll take a while to get it up where I can display it.:(

8. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

CARL SCHMID of stockton cali is the guy he has LEES wrecked race car. whats left of it. He has been and old car parts dealer for years. he can be reached at. 209-931-3361.

jimmy six and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. akjim

akjim

Man, do I love H.A.M.B.!! Great info on the tornado.......
    What was the name of the streamliner with the tall dorsal fin? I thought it was one of Herbert's, now no so sure.

10. Von Franco

Von Franco

Now this is what it`s all about thanks just to cool ..........................

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. akjim

akjim

Ok, the fog has lifted.....I was thinking about Bob Herda's streamliner....gorgeous!!

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

This is one car that needs to be restored for future generations to enjoy. Anyone up for it???

13. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

As an Oakland resident, I did a local "history of hot rod shops" photo post about 4 years ago... Among the pics were Mor-Drop axle shop (still there but now a crappy repair facility) and I drove to the E. 14th location of where Lee's was-- Its now a Chinese Nail Salon. Alas, no built flatheads left in the alley! :D

I'll try and dig up the photo later...

jay

14. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Wow great post. Thanks for the catalog scans!

The v8 flathead coversion was available up to 16 to 1.

I really really want that 3 carb linkage set up.

15. XKTbird

XKTbird

This post is great .... some may not know the early history of Lee Chapel .... He opened the second speed shop in California, opened right after George Wight's Bell Auto Parts, in Los Angeles (in the twenties!) according to the late Dean Batchelor .... The cigar-chompin' Chapel ran an early Chevy roadster at places like Muroc .... there are great photos of Lee's Chevy and his junkyard/speed shop in Dean's book American Hot Rod .... It was not until taking some time off running midgets that he moved to Oakland .... You see, he was known early on running a junkyard that would, in addition to parting out regular clunkers, part out race cars too. -Brian Weatherman -Boulder Creek,CA

Carter likes this.
  16. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Andrew,

this is what I'm buying - a Tornado side plate for the Stovebolt 6.

[​IMG]

and no there aren't any more of these.

17. MDK

MDK
    from Belgium

Hello;:)
    I am looking for any photos B / W and color of record car (land speed record) LeeChapel Tornado
    There exist a number of alternative red and yellow, blue and white, blue and yellow and can be of different color :confused:

Thanks for your answer

Marc de France

18. MDK

MDK
    from Belgium

I found two photos, but not very good quality

[​IMG]

19. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Here's a pic of 1143 E. 14th St in Oakland I took about 4 years ago, in search of Lee's:
    You'll notice the big warehouse on the right (1139)- Perhaps that was the Tornado machine shop?

[​IMG]

Little driveway between went to a back parking lot:
    [​IMG]

Lee's Ad w/ address:
    [​IMG]

20. unkamort

unkamort

Dosen't seem to wanna let me add an a pic of an old decal...

Ah! Got it in after 'edit'

Attached Files:

• lees.jpg
      lees.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 and stanlow69 like this.
  21. sr

sr
    from Monterey

I just picked this up today. I am getting the riser intake runners and bolts and the generator mount later in the week. Thought you may like to see this. The old timer let me go through some of his old speed parts. It was a great day of hunting.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and razorback like this.
  22. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Anyone have or know where I can find one of these steering arms /

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. banjorear

banjorear

Cool. I just picked one up on E-bay yesterday. When you get the risers can you tell me how tall they are? Mine doesn't have them and I would like to get some made.

Thanks.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found this photo in the 1952 issue of True's Automobile Yearbook

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and stanlow69 like this.
  25. MARIELLA

MARIELLA

Hi Ryan:

I am new to this, but can you spread the word. Lee Chapel's Speed Shop, parts of the Tornado Streamliner,and lots an lots of parts are now owned by Carl Schmid. His address is 6101 East Ashley Lane, Stockton. Ca. 95215, U.S.A. His phone # 209-931-3361. He does not have a computer, so call or write to him. My Dad, Bob Allinger, built the body on the Tornado, and after 60 years it is amazing to find Carl lives about 20 minutes from me. I was able to visit him yesterday, and get a personal tour of his collection. Hope this helps some of you.
    Mariella

Carter and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. Mariella, If you have any pics of the liner body being made or up to date ones, please post them here, we'd all love to see them

27. Anyone know if the steering arms that lee made had different drops? Like some were bent at the 90 and so had 1 inch drop, 2 inch ect..ect..