Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Roach Rod and the Ego-Rama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Dec 15, 2007.

1. A few weeks ago I came across this on YouTube... thought "Man, that was fun!"

After some reflection... the BEST part about it was driving around with my brother and a great bunch of guys and gals... not to mention all the love shown to get me there from guys on the HAMB.

What do I have to show for it? Some pictures, a plaque, a jacket... and this great video taken by my brother and edited and put to music by Sean from the Strangers.

And memories.

For those that haven't seen it, or those who forgot... enjoy a little retro Roach Rod...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcRfvUGL67k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcRfvUGL67k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. GREAT!! Whenever some shit-for-brains talks about restoring or recycling, I wip out the before pics of the Roach Rod. This IS what rodding is about. Build it, drive it, break it fix it better, repeat.

Any recent shots? I know it started a shit storm last time.-MIKE:D:cool:

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Good memories for us too. Thanks to you and the HAMB for letting us go along for the ride. What ever happened to the dash?

4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cool..............my favorite shot of the "RR" is the shot of you going sideways on the dry lake bed with the "peace sign".

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

5. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks Sam, good memories.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

7. Ahhh... the donut video!

That's DRD57 laughing... and Cal Tanaka going for a RIDE!

Sam.

8. jerry

jerry

Still have the coon tail and alternator here!

Thanks for the memories.

jerry

9. Assdragger

Assdragger

I was just watching the donut video a couple of days ago and thinking ,...What a bas ass little ride that was!!

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Boy, that sure does bring back some memories. You built that thing right here on the HAMB and took us for a ride to the EgoRama. It pegged the "cool" meter and showed that it doesn't take $50,000 to have fun in an old car. Thanks for the flashback.

Frank

11. ShortBus

ShortBus

I think that was the last time I drank Maker's Mark.. good times

The donut video was better in person!

shot this last month. hmmm
    [​IMG]

12. the vids gone :(

13. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

that was RAD!!!

is there a video of the HAMB engine blow up thing????....

14. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

I can see it fine.

So is the original build up gone forever? I'd love to read it. I just went through everyone of the posts that search brought up. I think I just found the true inspiration for my T roadster project. That little car looked perfect. I am assuming from shortbus's post that it is on its way back to one piece?

15. Peace sign? I thought that was an 'Up Yours!' ;)

Great memories, Sam. It sure was a huge effort. Is that Big Don Palfreyman under the hood of his '34? Was he on it the same year as you, or DRD57?

High test 63 likes this.
  16. Yep, that's Old Farts and Old Fords Don Palfreyman.

I sure miss him... he was fun to hang out with both on the Ego Rama and also the Hot Rods and Haute Quisine SoCal cruise in 2000... (where I scored the RR body for $50 the night before the Father's Day Roadster Show)

Codeman... I think the original build is gone forever... I didn't have enough sense to save it. I think it was one of the first "comprehensive" builds on the HAMB. I can remember doing how-to's on setting up the front axle, building the frame from an old T-bucket frame, doing the rear crossmember (miter joints) building the body, building the deck lid, track nose, grille, and rear '36 wishbone... oh, and the Sam-o-Ram... there may have been more... it was fun, and I think a lot of people, including me, learned from it.

Sam.

On my first road trip... to Bakersfield with my bro-John.
    [​IMG]

Just minutes after getting the call from Rod&Custom saying I was in the Ego-Rama
    [​IMG]

RR and Don Palfreman's '34 on the road to ElMirage
    [​IMG]

17. So Richard Nixon, only cooler! :)

Ah... the Sam-O-Ram, I remember it well. Bead blasting the billet so that people would think it had puh-tee-nah. LOL

18. river1

river1

here are some pics i still have saved

Attached Files:

19. river1

river1

some more

Attached Files:

20. river1

river1

i was there for the birth of RR i couldn't believe you were going to make a car out of those pieces

Attached Files:

21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

who does the song in that video?

22. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Is that video from Ego Rama a few years back when you guys stopped at Industrial Chassis? I was there that night when Steve bent up the aluminum hood and you were making a bracket for your car Sam. Of course I was just a wide eyed kid at that point.

23. bonechop113

bonechop113

The song in that video is " The Ghastly ones" they are a killer band.
    The song is called " Haulin Hearse"

24. now it worked for me and thanks for the pics

25. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

That is awesome. The Ego Rama is what got me to the HAMB. Seeing your's, Bob K's, and Denise's cars in there made me go "WTF is HAMB?"

Sorry I wasn't here sooner. What a wasted youth...or at least my 30s.

26. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Ha, had no idea that the owner(s) were on here. Neat.

This is (I might be mistaken) where the body was found and had some bullet holes in it? I might be mixing up the story, but I followed that EgoRama.

27. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

thanks man!

28. I can't believe you have those pictures river1!!! I don't even have those anymore!

But yep... the body was bought for $50... and had the bullet holes in it.

Sam.

29. Yep!
    I remember that night well... I was worn out, and half asleep!

But it was fun hanging out with you guys!

30. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Hot Rod purity.
    Gotta hand it to ya Sam...you didn't follow a single trend...you just built a T to run hard and get put away wet EVERY time you drove it.
    Oddly enough...build one like that and you'll get a nostalgic HOT ROD every time!
    Who knew!?!?

Very cool Sam. ;)

Excellent to see those pictures survived. They NEED to be made a permanent part of the HAMB.