Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wanna see "Single stage flat black painted cars"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercjoe, Dec 16, 2007.

1. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Here's another DuPont Hot Rod Black, with a gloss firewall
    [​IMG]

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yep, sprayed that with a 1.4 tip gun, thinned with Acetone. Hit it early in the morning during summer, done in a driveway. The hotter the metal gets, the more tiger stripes so I got it when it was still cool out, but daylight creeping.

There is no secret that I know of, what I should have said was letting it sit outside forever. Some areas will stain like the drip rail runoff, I just washed it every so often. Having a garage to keep it in would be kickass.

I sprayed my Merc with the same mix, but with a bigger tip gun (1.7) but actually liked the way the 1.4 tip laid it out better. The car was filthy in the pic.

[​IMG]

This was my old shoebox from 2 yrs ago (different 51 than above), this was cheap assed Laquer primer from ebay. Hot rod black I think, it was literally like $30 a gallon or some shit.

[​IMG]

Im not saying this is better than paint or anything, Im just trying to help with my old cars Ive done that fit the questions...so before some jackass calls this a rat rod thread or some shit...just throwin it out there.

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I shot this using Duponts HotRod Hues flat black a few of years...Its held up very well and was an easy paint system to use........Only draw back its pricey and I could only get it in quarts at a time, it was a new system when I used it, I have no idea if its come down in price?......Its held up to the sun and a reclentless beating at the DragStrip..........I would price the John Deer Blitzt Black first.......Littleman

[​IMG]

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

Here is a photo of my '53 painted with flat black single-stage enamel. (PPG, I think, but I can't remember it was a couple years ago.)
    And here's why I won't paint another car flat black: you can't rub out any scratches, it holds dust like a freakin' magnet, and bugs stick to it. The car I'm working on now will be gloss black, so I can touch it up at will.
    On the other hand, in heavy fog or light misting rain the upper and front surfaces get shiny and it makes for a really cool effect, especially under street lights. Since that happens about 1% of the time I drive the car, I'm a gloss-paint convert.
    Flat clear doesn't look the same as flat black enamel, because the clear is smoother and gives an almost ghostly look (which I actually prefer).

Attached Files:

5. EdselRich

EdselRich

ok ok ok obviously i've pissed off a few of you guys with my comments. obviously they came out differently than what i meant. i've own dozens of hotrods/customs half of them were single stage the other half were rattle canned. i didn't mean that single stage meant rattle cans. if you noticed i was one of the first post on the thread i was just waitin' for all the "traditional rat rodders" to get on here. sorry if i offended anyone, truly a big misunderstanding

6. BadLuck

BadLuck

here's mine done in "Trim Black"....ok..its not actually "done"!:)[​IMG]

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

He gets rid of it, haha!

Thats not single stage, hell its not even paint, 1.4 inch paint brush more like it...

Haha, kidding...

See more flat black cars @ www.ruffrodders.com

8. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i think this is one of the best responses i've ever read on here!!!

9. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Nice Champagne color, but what is that black object in the foreground.
    Nice car man.

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Thanx Dread...I had a thread on it here...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228367

Seriously tho, thats probably the first time Ive seen that Murano parked on all 4 tires. The neighbors are nice people, but straight from like Kenya or something. I think they saw the Jeep commercials and figure you are supposed to park like that if you have a lil' SUV...half on someones lawn and shit. Whoo0o0oeeee....

11. This is 10 year old DP90 (PPG)
    It's really tough, but it gets kind of chalky with time. Seems like it was about $100/gallon. Next time it will get a black base with a flat clear unless I have the coin to put it back to red/white like it was originally...
    [​IMG]

12. mercjoe

mercjoe

1) Price.
    2) Easier job

Flatenned clear , for some unkown reason gets extremely expensive down here.

Basecoat also's more expensive than single stage.....

All the way more $$$$$$

13. Are you refering to SEM trim black? Cause that stuff is great! I wish it came in other colors!

14. lots of cool ass rides and all the perfect black..

15. mercjoe

mercjoe

Yeah man, nobody talked about cans. This is a close to pro paint job
    with single stage paint. That means, no base/clear painting technique

16. Rhino1958

Rhino1958

Who really gives a fuck, as long as its road-worthy!

17. mercjoe

mercjoe

That was my main concern.
    But this things were tell by guys with really poor uality jobs and cheap paint.
    What do you all other think about not being able to fix scratches, no can clean the freaking dust out of it .....

Whats your experience ?

18. mercjoe

mercjoe

Thanks all for your comments guys.
    Hope I made the right decision. All PPG products including primer.

Hope doesnt get chalky, hope to be able to clean the dust out of it, etc, etc.

Thought than kind of problems were just present with primer, sad to hear from a couple this also happens with flat paint.., even PPG stuff.

D.

19. Clark

Clark

The RPU I posted is painted with PPG concept single stage. I could get you the formula.

The RPU is my father's. He drives the piss out of it. He even got into some road paint with it. What a pain to get off we actually had to pick at each little spot to get it off. Didn't look too bad afterwards.

As far as not being able to fix mistakes....don't make any. I like the way most of the flat stuff sprays. Seems to lay out nice without running. Dirt in the paint must not be as noticable either.
    Clark

20. mercjoe

mercjoe

By the way,

Wanted to give very special thanks to Matt (slddnmatt) for his incredible patience and help about how
    body mounts should go on my car and also paint.Really really Cool guy and what a painter, awesome jobs..., most of
    you must know him, for who dont..., give him a try.

Thanks also to Overspray for his advice on primer and paint.

Thanks Guys !!!
    Diego

21. mercjoe

mercjoe

Ive already bought the paint clark, thanks. Its a PPG, tha sample read 92' BMW (never saw a bmw painted like that though)

Dirt not being noticeable is good.., but is it easy cleanable ?

Thanks !!
    D.

22. [​IMG]not the greatest, but it did its job.

also....this was done with Krylon Ultra Flat
    [​IMG]

23. BadLuck

BadLuck

Yep..thats the shtuff!!

Attached Files:

24. HELLMET

HELLMET

i'll 2nd that sem trim black is good stuff. it has an etch to it.it sticks . ps... i dig your hard top whats the scoop ? bagged or hyros. cool car any more pics. billy

25. BadLuck

BadLuck

Thanks....Yeah its on bags...currently swapping out the camaro clip and putting the original front clip on so I can install a Mustang II.....Check my profile under threads...I posted a few update pics in some of them....future plans are swapping the Trim black out for some flake!!:)

26. So how well does the trim black hold up? I asked our paint supplier about it today, and the price is CHEAP compared to OMNI, or PPG.

27. Retrorod

Retrorod

I don't even remember what this was, I applied it before running off to Viva a few years ago so the car would be just one color. I haven't got around to doing real paint yet. I love popcorn.

Attached Files:

28. ronrob75

ronrob75

Gloss black single stage with flatner in it

[​IMG]

29. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

30. mercjoe

mercjoe

What about maintaining it guys ? cleaning,etc. Waxing ?!