Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1955 Chevy Gassers Owners Wanted? Post them Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hi guys,
    Like the title of the thread says 1955 Chevy Gasser Owners Wanted! Post Them Pics! Lets see what you got and how you got there! Post pics of the cars and some of your ideas and thoughts of how you got to where your car is today. Or post some pics of cars that you have seen in the past or owned in the past! My project is coming along but I need some inspiration (ie tire size and wheel backspacing). So have at it and lets have some fun with this thread!
    55gasserkid

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    Deuces likes this.
  2. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

3. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hey,
    Thanks for the ideas. Come on fellas:) I would love to see some of your set-ups.

4. twochops

twochops

If it turns out as good as Tom Daniel Badman 2
    you will have a winner.
    TwoChops
    --------------------------------
    left click to enlarge

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

There are some tri-five gasser pics on my link below.

6. raffman

raffman

How about former owners? I really miss this one, been a couple of years but I get asked about it all the time[​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  7. 8.5" rim... 3.5" backspace 30 x 12.50 M/T ETStreet cheater slicks...

275 /60's are for street rods... not drag cars.

Cut the wheel wells and have someone who knows what they are doing hammer and dolly a 90 degree lip... like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Butch M likes this.
  8. Paul Y

Paul Y

Sam,

Every time I see your car it makes me smile. Really, really nice.

P.

9. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hey thanks SamIyam raffman, and Two chops for the pics,

SamIyam what you have done to your car is exactly what I am looking for. I appreciate that you included sizing so that I could get even more info. Very sool that you had a lip or dollied a inner lip. I would love to run a drag slick but up here in Canada. I would be getting pulled over left right and centre. Are you running longer shackles and did you move your springs inboard? or are you running a stock set-up? LOve the pics and ideas fellas keep them coming.

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

there are many ideas on this subject, just pick what is right for you , we do them all the time for people and they all are a little different for each persons taste, depends on the yr you are looking for . the early sixties and late sixtes were diff in approach... good luck

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  11. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

This is my baby at the HAMB drags just before we broke the trans mount. Six months to put it together, four passes at he HAMB drags, one broken trans mount, Priceless.

Attached Files:

Deuces and Tickety Boo like this.
  12. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

13. hershambob

hershambob

this turned up at a meet in london this morning
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

exterminator and slack like this.
  14. JamesG

JamesG

My favorite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Back in the early 70s we bent conduit around a 55 gallon barrel and welded it around the wheelwell as the outside lip.

16. EdselRich

EdselRich

55 was always my favorite year for straight axles just looks the best imgonna be sure to keep a good eye on this thread. you never know one of these days i might have one on here

17. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Thanks for the pics James. "Mr. Chevy" is a renegade being it is a hardtop and has stock rear wheel openings.

My website has some more pictures that may give you even more ideas. The car sets on a heavily arched rear suspension but it does work well, however the rear tires are on the tall side for it. (11.50-30.5-15) They are mounted on 15x8 ET's with a 3.5" backspace.

18. reichart90

reichart90

my 55 was raced from '62 til the early 70s. never had a straight axle but the front end was blocked
    [​IMG]

got some skinny fronts for it now and nicer front tires

19. eric

eric

the boys from Dice Magazine drove this thing from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. anyone have larger or better pics??/ thing is cool as hell!!!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  20. 55xgasr

55xgasr

I've cut a few radiused wheel wells and depends on the stance of your rear end and tire height.

My '55 was already radiused but kinda crude so I "messaged" them into a better shape with what I had to work with.

My '55 is running 15x8.5 American 200S "Cokebottles" or "daisies" I think the backspace is 3.5" or maybe 3 5/8". I'm running on M/T ET Street (have grooves) 13.5 x 30 x 15 as I recall. It looks killer on that 8.5 rim, just like the pics I have of the original TLB car with lots of sidewall bulge and 11" of rubber. I have a Camaro 12 bolt and added longer studs and 7/16 wheel spacers to move away from my original traction bars made back in the 60's. It was very tight before. I like the radiuses almost perfect circle but you have to modify slightly. Mine are not perfect circles but as good as the previous cut would allow.

Take a string and tie around the end of a pencil, leave the string long enough to go around another pencil or dowel. take the wheel off - on jackstands put the dowel in the center of axle and roll the string around the pencil till you get the distance you want. Then pencil in a guide. tweak as you go to stay with the dimensions. I ran out of room towards the front so have to make the circle slightly taller than wide. Then run fine line tape along this scribe. Lay more tape outside that with fat masking tape to protect paint from jig saw. Use a grinding wheel to start the lower edges where they roll under and are not flat. Use the jigsaw to cut the radius. Go very slow and you minimize the chipping of paint. Touch up the outer edge with black paint if needed whre any paint slightly chipped. Works for me everytime - knda old school but works great!

I have also done a car with the trim in place and "split" the spear. This can look good too if you do it right.

If you have a guy that can add the rolled lip, do it it will add strength to the quarter but not necessary. Mine is fine without.

Hope this helps....................

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  21. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my Gomad. It has the stock radiused wheelwells. Nomads used to have that from the factory.
    I think the rims are 10x15 and the tires 275 or 295. I have to look, I'm not sure at the moment!

I love the yellow one!!! Really cool! It's got that two lane blacktop feeling!!!

22. Louie S.

Louie S.

This white car is TITS!!

23. The radiused rear fenders were done by Paul Rouse in 1967... it has stock springs, and ladder bars and floaters... which puts the axle about where a stock one would be, as it has the wagon leafs... I did a body off and did the suspension and roll bar.

24. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

hollllyyyyy chit. yeah anymore pics/info on this one??

25. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

The England based magazine called "Custom Car" did run a coverage of it 2 years or so ago.

A rilly cool bomb!!!!

26. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

WOW!:):)
    Man I put this thread out and have gotten amazing response so far. I totally want to thank all of you for all of your help and support that you have given me so far. Hopefully we can keep this thread alive. I would also like to thank lots of you for private messaging me support and details about what works, what doesn't, and what to watchout for.
    55Gasserkid:D

27. 55xgasr

55xgasr

Your red car has the perfect wheel well in my opinion. Nice car & love the scoops......we talked earlier this year and really dig your '55! NICE

One afternoon take your front bumper off...I bet you'll never put it back on!!!

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

How about a cool 56 and a cool drawing of a 55

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  29. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

This one is in Norway:eek:

A good friend has it now, along with his other cars.
    Last count was: a chopped 54 chev 4 dr, the gasser 55, a 64 chev impala lowrider, a 62 slingshot dragster, a Plymouth Arrow funnycar,
    a 69 or 70 cadi cab!:eek::D
    All in great chape all running!

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  30. SHRUM

SHRUM

Yeah I drooled when I got my dice and it was in it. I show it to my buddy all the time to try to get him to do some lace panels and such.