Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 chevy truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motorbreath, May 15, 2007.

1. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Anybody got an idea on the radiator fill? im pretty much set on a pressure relief (lever) cap and a fill point that is the highest point of the cooling system (t'd into one of the hard lines) just fill that pipe and hit the relief lever to vent air, might be slow, but it should work.

But if you have a better idea I'll listen.....

now who has suggestions on where to start on putting the front end on this thing?

2. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Heres some pics of some progress, stuff i did and hadnt loaded pics till now
    radiator fan shroud and gas tank mount
    [​IMG]

bedside
    [​IMG]

another angle of the bedside, I didnt have a nice place to build it off the truck so i built it on the truck and im going to make it removable later on, also straighten it up some too, its a wee bit crooked in a spot
    [​IMG]

bedsides, tailgate, and mockup of tail light(64 impala) the angle of the part between the gate and the side matches the angle of the lights and makes the centers flush with the tailgate
    [​IMG]

gate down, dont even know why i put hinges on it, but i did, not like i can use it for anything..
    [​IMG]

i know its not all square and even yet but i didnt have another way to build it, so i did what i could with what i had and will fix it once i get some more important stuff done, should have some pics of the front suspension just about done before too long....

p.s. when it gets cut loose to make it bolt on, its going to be lower on the truck, and i believe im going to be lowering that tank too....

3. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

almost forgot to add the floor pans, coming along too
    [​IMG]

4. richcraft.spl

richcraft.spl

Yes, this build is badwater as hell and not my style, but at least he is trying to build somthing with no shop or tools . If you guys get off on bashing people you can bash me . Go build a hotrod you bitchs instead of trying to build your post count.

You live & you learn by trial & error

Mike whitney

5. budd

budd

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=j>[SIZE=-1]Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go. T.S Eliot[/SIZE]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. poop!

poop!

it looks sooo sick

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

DO IT YOUR WAY MAN! Keep it up.

Joshua Shaw.

8. HEBE GB

HEBE GB

Quote corngrower32
    "I build Hot Rods profesionally, for a living. I've had cars on the covers of the biggest magazines going and guys here have busted my balls and told me how wrong what I was doing was..."

Well aren't you special

9. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

i appreciate the feedback, good and bad, when this thing is drivable its not done, its just drivable, then i get to change this and that and that other thing over there that we wont talk about at this point and time... Ive got SOOOOOOOO many ideas still to do on this thing, and ive got stuff to fix, hopefully none of the fixing is stuff that i dont know about, but im sure something will happen somewhere, might be bad might be really bad might just be minor. Im glad some people can see what im working with and that im actually trying to make something decent with limited resources and im learning on the way. I completely understand people not liking this style or even just this particular truck or just me, and it doesnt bother me, cause there is stuff and styles and certain vehicles i dont like either, but i can still appreciate the effort or the idea behind it. So now that my really long rant is over, hopefully its understood how much I appreciate the help, advice, kind words, criticism and opinions of everyone who has replied on this thread. And to those who have said this is the worst thing ever built, just keep in mind, its not done yet and it might get worse so hold off on that judgement till its done 5 or 6 years from now and then if you still hate it that much, get a life and get over it you've wasted too much time thinking about it;).

10. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Anyone want to work in my garage?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ redneck tree stand? got it up on this stand to finish the floor up, hopefully it will be done soon.

And now some more fuel for the fire, there temp tires, came with the wheels, going to get some newer not so spares soon before its driven

[​IMG]

Havent got the caliper brackets yet, and I havent moutned the radius arm yet either, just kinda hanging out there a bit, probably going to have to bend it just a little bit to help with some clearance probs
    [​IMG]

The paint is not final in any way, just wanted to see what it would look like so without even masking it i spray bomb'd it, not quite decided on it yet, maybe once i get some center caps for it

[​IMG]

and you can see the mess, and the one of the wheels i was going to use as a temp till i found something closer to what i wanted, but now i got the wheels, so i'll have a set of cragar soft 8's and some tires for sale soon

11. budd

budd

if i ever get down your way i want to go for a spin.

12. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I can't honestly say that I would like to work in your garage, but would like to say that It is nice to see a guy stick to his convictions while going thru all these trials and errors. Thanx Ryan for allowing this thread to continue because it will be a tribute to see antihuman complete this. Stay with it antihuman, you have more patience and composure than I will ever have . Gerry Moe

13. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Quote by HEBE GB

"Well aren't you special"

Thanks for making my point...

JD

14. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

cant we all just get along?:rolleyes:

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

I can't believe no one has backed up there and loaded all them parts up!!

16. EdselRich

EdselRich

thinkin' the same thing... ... he must have a big ass dog

17. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

No dog, but...

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i71.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/antihuman81/Akfire2.flv" height="361" width="448">

18. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I started working outside about a month ago doing some bodywork on a $100 Mustang I bought off my cousin, trying to make it a $500 Mustang, too much crap in the garage to move it in there.

But snow? Haha, my garage is pretty drafty itself, and its pretty rough with a heater in there, can't imagine having to build a floor pan in the snow.

19. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

I got a garage!, well not exactly, but hell anythings better, its a canopy style 10 X 20, no sides though, but its a start, i got to get that nova out the way, and get the other wheel on, and get that thing set up. But ive been coughing, feverd, all that jazz for over a week now, so no progress. I got a reamer for Christmas, I made my mounts for the radius arms to go to the frame and actually have the tie rod ends fitting the holes :rolleyes:. I've found a guy local with a 700r4, im hoping to get that from him, get a 3000 stall converter for it and maybe just maybe get a bit closer to done. I decided to go with the 700r4 because with that overdrive i should still be able to drive 65 at about 2600 rpm with the right sized tires (5.44 gears out back). I also got some autoloc door latches for Christmas too, so thats going to help once it get a little closer to that stuff. Still need alot of time and $ to do this though so unfortunately its not going anywhere soon. Maybe since i got married the taxes will help this thing get rolling. If any of you guys are ever this way id like someone who can actually look at it to give me some ideas and advice, the pics seem to leave out things.... doesnt quite look the same in the pics as it does in person, well at least to me....

20. 46highboypu

46highboypu

Anti...
    I am going to add some pictures of the chop in progress here. With my dialup it takes 2-3 minutes to load each page of this thread but it's been interesting. Us short strange truck guys will just have to stick together.
    My two friends cut 4" out just at the bottom of the back window where the cab is flatest. This makes the window centered top to bottom from the back. It went down and lined up dead on. They lined the inside with metal from the cut to reinforce at the joint. I think you can blow up the photo enough to see that the post were off just the width of the post. It took three cuts to line them up. From the front they matched well and only need to be level for the glass to lay. Even though they are friends I payed and within the budget they cut it and tacked it all together so that I could do finish welding (such as I can) and then I filled over it.

Attached Files:

21. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

46highboypu: Looks killer. Nice garage area too. One day, far far away I'll have one...lol:rolleyes:

22. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Set the cab on the frame today after getting all 4 wheels on the ground, got to make some cab mounts to get that thing sitting correctly, then i got to "adjust" the bed down a bit, riding too high i believe, got a few(ha ha, more like a million) other things to do as well
    [​IMG]

23. 383 240z

383 240z

Coming together pretty nice, I wish I had the time to work on mine, but I got 2 other cars that have to leave the shop first. I did score a 39 hood for my truck I'm not sure if it will bolt up straight away ( I haven't picked the hood up yet it is a long drive away and he will hold it until I head out there in the spring) Still looking for a suitable grill. Keith

24. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

383 240z, keep me posted on the 39 hood, I've been thinking about doing something like that, but don't know if the hood would be long enough, I've yet to measure a stock hood, but I've thought about using a stock 40 hood, comes to a point up front, but i don't know about the length, but i do like the look of the front end minus the fenders on the pre 40's

25. btbowtie

btbowtie
    from KY

I love your thread! Always glad to see updates!
    I have acquired a 46 Chevy truck cab for free just need to pick it up! Pretty rough around the edges but hey the price is right!:D
    Plans are to build something like the one pictured below with 40 Chevy hood, grill shell and with original lights?
    Your truck is looking cool keep us updated!:cool:

Attached Files:

26. btbowtie

btbowtie
    from KY

I am not a photo shopper but I did do a little Microsoft paint. This is more like I would like my build to look like. Shorten bed and took some out of the front end. Cleaned up hood area a little.:cool:

Attached Files:

27. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

btbowtie, maybe cut off the lower parts of the hood sides along the curve?, might make the front look "lighter", kinda looks like most of the truck is there, if that makes any sense, give it more of an opened up look too, but thats just my .02 :D and trust me its not worth half...

28. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Well, my Boss WAS an asshole, but I quit today. Damn, now I need a new job.

29. bowtiejohnny

bowtiejohnny
    from Modesto

No matterhow you build that truck cab, I love that style. I think your plans are pretty kick ass!!!

30. 46highboypu

46highboypu

So did you score the parts you PM'd me about? Mine is still in body shop limbo but the grill is out for powder coating and I'm trying to build the lakes headers.