Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about flathead flywheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rlcowboy40, Dec 14, 2007.

1. rlcowboy40

rlcowboy40
    from mass.

can i run a 1946 flathead flywheel on a 1950 flathead block with a castiron adapter and a 1939 tranny thanks

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Probably not. Ring gear location fore and aft is different between '32-48 and '49-53, and there is a strong possibility of problems with starter en and disen gagement...
    the difference is small, and it is possible it might work, but if you go for it fully check out starter function on a stand before putting it into a car. Screw that, just get the right wheel. They're not rare.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Listen to the man. Been there-Done that, Not worth the hassle.

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

ditto.

Check out this thread, I had the same problem.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48514

I ended up buying a late flywheel (from a hamber) and having it redrilled for a lighter 9 inch clutch. I've put about 10K on this setup, works great.

Rich

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another prob, likely covered in that thread (had some coffee, fog starting to lift...).
    I think the early wheel is the one with gear forward, and configuration can hit block or oilpump drive cover on late engine...again, possibly solvable, but more trouble than getting right piece...

6. 36tbird

36tbird

While we're on this topic, is there any big deal to shaving the old flywheels? Is it just a matter of having a lathe big enough to swing it and then use a cutting blade to shave off that bell? Of course, I would get the thing balanced afterwards.