Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Hat Man

Hat Man
    from Omaha, NE

A tool box I picked up the weekend at a flea market. Check out the decal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

I just saw one simular to this one over the weekend. also a handy andy tool box. the guy was asking 25 for it. went down to 20 bucks... I still walked away from it although I thought it a very cool box!!!

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i have that very same one out in my lil shed!!!!neat!:)

4. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yeah well, my dad was an alcoholic...and he passed that on to me!:(:p

i wouldnt get to worked up kev...your shop layout is about as friggin cool as it gets bro! amazin! course, all them bitchin rides helps to!:cool:

5. That is sweet!:eek: :eek:

6. That is even sweeter!:D

7. You did a fine job:)

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have an older Kenndey tool box that my father left me. It is a stacked unit. I really can't tell how old it is because they have had that trademark brown for forever. I am powdercoating it soon. I know I should keep it brown and used looking but since I plan on using this for the rest of my life and there are some spots where the paint is lifting. I thought now would be a good chance to powdercoat it black. Most things I would just keep it's vintage integrity but I though my father would have liked it black. Any thoughts on changing the color?

9. 95gtSTANG

95gtSTANG

Ok guys let me give this thread a little a little prod.. here is my recent 20 dollar aquisition. I am in the process of figuring out what kind of paint to use. I was considering some sort of acrylic eureathane but I am still researching. I will keep this updated..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wingnutz likes this.
  10. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

You can buy the Wrinkle brown from Kennedy.

11. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

caffeine...i love that box...I also love those kennedy 520's. My buddies been hording some up for me after i did this to the first one he asked me to paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wingnutz likes this.
  12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Funny you should say something about it 29 sedanman. I actually pulled my wife from powdercoating the Kenndedy Box black because I thought I should focus on buying other tools that I really need. I think I may just keep it brown now that you say the paint can be ordered through them. Thanks Buddie!!!!!!!!

13. Bugeye13

Bugeye13

Actually not a Hoffman but it is a Simco. The compartments are not big enough for 1/24 slots but good for formula style 1/32. These were sold for tackle boxes I got mine with shotgun shells in it. I also
    use mine for a paint box. Hoffmans are better quality than these I also have a couple of those. There some useless knowledge for you.

14. This one was made by Yarder Mfg.Co. of Toledo Ohio around 1920.It was used by a sign painter from Toledo from the early 1920's to the 1940's.I acquired it last year from the guy's grandson.I had thoughts of using it but when I got into cleaning it out,I decided to preserve it as is.Aside from a light cleaning and renewing the brushes (more than 60)inside,it is just as I received it.

I have several examples of Kennedy and old Craftsman boxes;both tool and machinists and one from Poland that was given to me awhile back.I'll have to get some pictures of those.I also have several old tackle boxes that I have spruced up.My current paint box is a J.C.Higgins "eyeball"-style box.

One of the wildest boxes I have is an old Shapleigh Hardware/E.C.Simmons salesman's box that has SIXTEEN fold out trays.

Attached Files:

marsurfboards likes this.
  15. 1Rob2

1Rob2
    from California

16. raaf

raaf

here's mine, not sure what it is...

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      26.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      28.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Damn...that's a nice tool box. look through this entire link, and do a search for one other on here about old or vintage tool boxes. On one of the links there's a chart that gives the year for the different codes...I think the code/part number is stamped somewhere on the back of the box, but I'm not sure.
    The bottom box is the exact same style as one I have from 1940...though I think they used that same style well into the '50s and maybe '60s. Mine doesn't look half that nice though. The top box is definately later than mine, but it matches the bottom.
    Very, very nice.
    -Brad

18. 1Rob2

1Rob2
    from California

Thank's Brad

The tool box had been stashed away in a storage container for who knows how long. When they said Trash It I had my truck backed and load before they could spit out another word.The stuff the Goverment calls junk!

19. cantcutmustard

cantcutmustard

I don't know if the photos loaded or not. I got this box from the estate of a master mechanic. I was told by a fellow that said he was a member of the Craftsman club that it was from the 1930s. I have tried to research it but keep ending up with blanks. I would appreciate any info on this box. Also you folk have some fantastic boxes. Sorry folks my files are too big and i'm not smart enough to change them.

20. cantcutmustard

cantcutmustard

Wow nice box. What kind of fool would trash that one. Thanks for saving it.

21. Mrraceinc

Mrraceinc
    from Phoenix AZ

22. HydroClyde

HydroClyde

this one gets my vote....from one "old tool" to another...

23. boldventure

boldventure

This is the bottom of my Dad's tool box. I've emptied it out dis-assembled part of it and I've bought paint and stuff to restore it.

A few years ago I cleaned up the top unit but was never satisfied with the paint. Gonna fix that too. Dad always has 2 lbs. in that 1 lb. bag, I'm going to get an intermediate box, paint them to match and work this drawing int the top cover somehow.

I have the sign from the place Dad had after WWII. I'll clean it up and that well go up near the tool box.

Attached Files:

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Cool sign!
    Rather than buy an un-matching intermediate box, keep it the way your dad had it, and use the box for storing specialty tools like wiring tools, punches, body tools, etc. Stuff you don't use regularly, but that you gotta have.
    I've also used my old Snap-on box as a "project" box. For instance, when I was rebuilding and modifying the front hubs on my '54 Buick, I had all the new bearings, brake hardware, etc. stored neatly in the top box. If you ever start a project you know is going to take a while, that has a lot of little parts or something, having a nice organized box to store them in makes the project easier--especially if you start it and can't get to finishing it that week. Or year.

-Brad

25. Chad s

Chad s

Here is my 1924-25 Snap On Dealer box. During the early-mid 20's Snap-on attempted to sell their tools at hardware stores, an idea which failed, but the truck delivery system proved to work quite well!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

[​IMG]
    Looks like mid 80's to me.

27. unkamort

unkamort

My pile...KRA series. 50 drawers

Attached Files:

28. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

Here's a couple boxes I've been practicing on. I'm not very good. One is an old circular saw box and the other an old craftsman toolbox. No clue how old but they're both found items that cost me nothing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

29. Here's a vintage tool box with vintage tools included that I acquired since this post was started.All tools date between 1920 and 1930.Included is a set of 4-point sockets in 1/2 inch drive,a set of sockets in 7/16ths hex drive,and an unusual combination hex breaker bar/T handle.Also included is another set of 1930's era tools I picked up awhile ago.Duro and Indestro were the same company.

Included in the set was a Snap-On T handle that has the logo in vertical letters instead of angled.This was only used between 1920 and 1930.

Cost of both sets was a total of $19.

Attached Files: