Register now to get rid of these ads!

'55-'57 Chevy ball joint spacer question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chop32, Dec 9, 2007.

1. chop32

chop32

I have a pair of old Genuine Suspension "C" type ball joint spacers. The instructions say to install them at the upper ball joint for increased travel.
    Has anyone here ever tried them at the lower ball joint?
    Since the lower ball joint points downward, this would move the bottom of the spindle lower, raising the car.
    Ive already installed aluminum spacers at the upper ball joint for any clearance issues.
    Is there something here that Im missing?

2. Larry T

Larry T

I don't think I'd do it. It looks to me like the lower balljoint has a LOT more stress on it than the upper one. I don't know if the C type spacers could handle the pressure.

3. racemad55

racemad55

Outlawed long ago by N.H.R.A., bad choice to use!

4. chop32

chop32

That was one of the bigger concerns that I had...better safe than sorry!

5. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

jvp

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  6. They were originally used in early drag cars as a way of getting more front suspension travel. Weight transferred to the rear made for better traction on the strip.

7. chop32

chop32

The spacers also provide the needed clearance when you use a taller spring...without them your suspension would be pretty much toppped out with little or no upward travel available.

8. gofast62

gofast62

i have a few sets new in the box's

9. Larry T

Larry T

Are they marked "meets SEMA Specs 9-1"? If they are do you want to sell a set?
    Larry T

10. Henry J

Henry J

HEY, I'm very interested in a pair for 55-57 Chevy. I used to run them in several cars of mine...never had any problems. Let me know if can purchase a set. :)

11. And as a related question.....I have installed stiffer springs on my 57 as well as the aluminum spacers. What I need now is a longer front shock! Anybody know the part number for a GM front shock that is longer than the stock 57 shock when fully extended???? I tried figuring it out at a shock dimension page but my head started to hurt......

12. I went through the same thing- I ended up buying shock extensions. The extensions were on clearance, maybe $4.00 at Checker/Autozone or someplace like that.

13. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

I don't have the C type but I do have ball joint spacers and taller springs & shock extenders in my 57, no problems here.
    Duke
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

That is such a BITCHIN car! One of my all time HAMB favorites. HotRod to the max!:)

15. Henry J

Henry J

Duke,
    Give me the low down on the springs and shock extenders....what did the springs originally fit? Where did you buy them? You're '57 is Bitchin!!!

16. Dmystix

Dmystix

Duke
    "VERY" nice 150, always liked them the best, not cluttered up with all that extra chome(SS), LOL.
    I have a 57 210 2 dr wagon, I have tracked down all the trim to make it a 150, including the windshield corners. It still has the solid upper bj spacers, which will be coming out, for a stock type susp rebuild, along with a fuel effecient built 305, along with a manual 4 spd overdrive, for highway driving.
    Again, very nice 150.
    Don

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  17. Duke, did you cut the coil springs at all? I'm still haveing problems getting them in Carlg

18. Mine has 63 Chevy 9 passenger wagon 409 springs.Took a bit of work but I got them in there! It feels like the shocks are hitting the end of their travel on a bump.....

19. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

The springs I used are for a 63 Impala heres the part # TRW CS 6004 , I bought them at Advance Auto parts.
    My buddy made the spacers but theres a guy on ebay selling them.
    The Shock extenders are from Summit part # MRG-1290A

There is a tab on the side of the frame that has to be removed, leave the top of the tab on the top of the frame, install new upper control arm bumpers in the tabs while your there. Yes the ride is a bit stiff and has a bounce to it but I love it!

ill be happy to talk to anyone needing help doing this.

Duke
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Henry J

Henry J

Thanks for the info Duke!
    I used to have a couple of cars I raised up like this back in the 70's...a '70 Chevelle SS and a '72 Nova. I used the "C" type ball joint spacers and spring stools. I never had any problems with them. I can't seem to find any spring stools and I forgot who even made them....so I guess I'll have to get taller springs.
    I have several "C" type ball joint spacers I copied...made them out of billet steel. They fit later model Chevy's that the ball joint ends aren't tapered. In case anyone's interested I'll sell some.

BTW....you have an awesome 150! You'll have to come to the Hamb drags at MoKan with it....:D

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Ball joint spacers cracked more a-frames than you can ever imagine. Sure, it was installation error or whatever, but the history is there and I, for one, don't want to go through that again.

22. Im looking for a set :)

23. My dad had a pair of them, he ran on a daily driver for years with no problems. I have used them and had no problems. I would like to see what the failure is that people are talking about.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  24. freddys57

freddys57
    from CA

What coil springs did you use. The height is really nice. Old school stance is what I'm looking for, and you have it on this beast.

25. Picaninny

Picaninny

They look and run great..!