Register now to get rid of these ads!

manifold for the raised block Desoto Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 mopar_fan, Oct 28, 2007.

1. dehudso

dehudso

Thats very cool that you thought about all that. Some serious time and effort went into this setup. I'll be watching.

2. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Well that was certainly a feke-in' education;)

Thanks Pete

3. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi Stan,
    Knew someone from the UK would appreciate the play on words. You might have to explain to the use of the word up you end of the world for those in the United States.
    Always loved the TV series “Father Ted”
    Just waiting for conformation the foundry has cast the first one, bit like an expectant father.
    Cheers
    Peter

4. panic

panic

I don't think you're going to get a useful tuned length out of this without making it impossible to fit under a hood. These engines are all 3.80" stroke.

5. henryj429

henryj429

Do you have a casting yet? I will be in New Zealand for probably the first and only time in my life the first week of December (a layover in Aukland on the way to Perth). If you have castings, I'd consider buying one. I could machine it myself. If there is any possiblity of this, send me a PM. By the way, in my Engineering career, I've designed a lot of castings and I've seen a lot of nice pattern work. It sure looks like you've got a talented guy working on this!

6. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Yes you could be correct, the stroke is 3.8” and the runner length could be a compromise. That is why I will be getting some dyno time before these things are offered up. I could be that I’ve made a reasonable investment in a manifold that will be a total dog or it might just be usable enough to interest a few keen guys.
    When I first started kicking this idea around I was looking for a manifold to fit my 330 in a 38 dodge coupe, I didn’t think about fitting it in a stock engine bay but I know they have a lot of room above the engine. If the work and fit then that is a bonus.
    Cheers
    Peter

7. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

How long are you staying over in Auckland? Yes he is very talented, just chasing to see if we have the first one out. Will send you a PM
    Cheers
    Peter

8. Stan

Stan
    from UK

If you have to explain a joke its never quite as funny, so I think we'll just chuckle smuggly to ourselves on this Peter:D

Keep the updates coming, its the highlight of my day.

9. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Update as promised.
    Did the return trip to pick up the Hemi and visit the foundry to check on progress, only five hours each way. had hoped I would have been able to pick up the first one at the same time but probably being unrealistic. Expecting to see it by this weekend.
    Cheers
    Peter

10. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi update on the manifold, attached are some photos of the first manifold from the foundry :D , its is in its raw state, straight from the sand, yet to be fettled. no those water ports are not oval it’s the flashing around them that needs to be removed.
    Going to tidy it up and trial fit it to the motor to ensure we don’t have any crazy distortion before we do another. It has a couple of faults but the guy at the foundry is looking at locations of vents etc and we should get an excellent finish.
    Will let you know how it goes :)
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

• one.JPG
      one.JPG
      File size:
      114.8 KB
      Views:
    • two.JPG
      two.JPG
      File size:
      94.2 KB
      Views:
    • three.JPG
      three.JPG
      File size:
      116.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Hi Peter, I've been following your thread for awhile. The casting looks very nice, I'm sure most of us couldn't even find the flaws! Nice to see someone using their talents to give back to the hotrod community.

If I'm understanding you correctly, there are goin to be different tops avaliable for the intake? Single/double 4bbl possibly? That intake would fit a 57 341 De Soto? Good luck with your venture, I wish you nothing but sucess!

12. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Just a note, if it would have been designed for the low block, one could have used spacers to use with the tall block. Great manifold!

13. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Correct on the removable top, should have stuck a photo up that showed that better. We are working in having the other two tops available when I stick it on the dyno. Yes it will fit the 341.
    Thanks for the positive feed back, success measured in the fact that I will have a manifold that will serve my purposes and be able to make it available to others. This will never make me rich.

Cheers

Peter

14. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Another good point, unfortunately I only had a 330 and was selfishly looking at my own needs. We are investigating the possibility of making this fit the low block hemi. Think we can manage it without too much pain. I have been offered a low block manifold and will be doing some work in that area as soon as I have sorted out this one
    Cheers
    Peter

15. budd

budd

ok i'll ask, what did it cost you to have the pattern made?

16. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Good question budd, I hope you won’t be offended if I keep that under my hat for a while. Would hate the wife to see what I spent on it :) :)
    Depends if you take into account the development time etc the actual woodwork was reasonable but at current costing I’m going to have to move a few to recoup my investment
    Cheers
    Peter

17. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

To show the removable top and manifold

Attached Files:

• four.JPG
      four.JPG
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
    • five.JPG
      five.JPG
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
    • six.JPG
      six.JPG
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
  18. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Original dual quad manifolds are pretty darned hard to find and when you do find them they are cast iron with very few exceptions.
    This is an original 56 Dodge D500-1 manifold made by Kekaefer marine for racing
    [​IMG]
    Good to see someone making more high performance parts for Desotos. Should I put a hemi in my 56 Desoto? It has the original flathead 6 in there now!

19. Man lookin good, sano work and kudos to ya for follwing it thru, it looks like a nice piece !!

Height issues? nah, not in my Deuce that runs sans the hood. BTW, Ill take mine with the 6-71 blower mount !!

Keep us posted on how the dyno session pans out and on prices.....pleease !!

Rat

20. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Looking really really nice Peter. Love the idea of removable tops. My order will be the 3 deuce top, but its nice to know that you could go to a blower in the future.

Do you mind me asking what you do for a living Peter? I'm assuming you have an engineering background?

Stan

21. oh...uhm...wow!that looks absolutely killer!!!I really like how it looks vintage in it´s design,and the logo and text are the icing on the cake.
    if I had a desoto engine,i would probably have to buy all tops,just incase I change my mind on carburation.
    now,when will the dodge and chrysler versions be available,and the dodge/plym poly version?*smile*

22. Abomination

Abomination

YOU NEED TO CONTACT THESE GUYS:
    http://www.hothemiheads.com/

Set pricing, and hit 'em up for a few orders - they'll likely buy a few from you. Good on ya!

23. Abomination

Abomination

A 318 Poly version would sell, actually.

~Jason

24. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Well Stan I’m a hotrodder that fills in the day as a business analyst for a telco. Played at engineering for sometime and have many good friends in the field.
    Always got these crazy ideas running around in my head so I figured it was time to start working on them.
    As a sideline do a search on Tim Finn and check out his song “ Couldn’t be done”

Any particular wrapping paper you want that in?
    Cheers
    Peter

25. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Thanks for the positive comments sweedester. Wanted that old school look to the manifold, just don’t think modern shapes suit these motors. Thinking about the poly version I see there is a large poly following so you never know :)

26. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the positive encouragement, had a trial fit on the hemi and it looked good. Just going to skim the surfaces and see how it fits.

27. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Well Peter if this is you playing at engineering, god knows what you'd come up with if you put your mind to it ; )

As for the wrapping, I think I'll just go for bubble wrap.....about half a mile of it!!

28. malkintent

malkintent

i just wanted to say
    as an amature car guy and sand casting play aroundy guy
    great thread and amazing molds and parts. cudos
    mal

29. ward3162

ward3162

Just saw your pic's. I'm interested in the 3x2 setup for my 341..........when do you expect to get some performance numbers? Great Work.

30. George

George

WOW! If that has the factory part # on it, I've heard only 2/3 known to exist!