Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm lazy and bored...let's talk about how to get motivated!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Dec 7, 2007.

1. john56h

john56h

It's snowing, I'm home from work early...and I'm bored, but too LAZY to actually start working on some of my projects.

Any tips on how to get motivated and/or stay motivated on your automotive projects?

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

The only way I keep motivated is to see these youtube videos of guys starting and driving their cars... and making progress.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just make a "punch" list. Hang it on the side of whatever you are working on. Scratch off 1 thing at a time. Helps me get things in perspective.

4. dorksrock

dorksrock

Hmm... i like this idea... I too am having trouble getting motivated to do something productive on my T-bucket lately... maybe its because im all out of money? :D

I have to agree also with the youtube videos... I see people starting their cars for the first time, and I just want to go out to the garage and do something... I have the time... just not the money... :rolleyes:

Jordan

5. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

yep I have to agree with Roothawg on that...make a list. It helps to show progress. And if you really need help, watch MadFabricators a couple times...that always makes me want to build something.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

There's always something that can be done , even if you are broke.

Make the "crap" list of things you are putting off, do them all in one day. That way you can move on.

7. Mopar34

Mopar34

All I got to do is look at the calendar and see how many days I got left until the next rodding season. That motivates me to get off my ass and start working to get the cars back on the road.:D

Don't know what I will do when I move to Florida and there's no end to the rodding season and no winter down time to work on the cars.:(

8. Yep. I do the same.
    Three months till Billet-proof Fla. Gulp!

P.S. you'll be going too far if you move to Fla.,stop around North Georgia.

9. Misfit

Misfit
    from Upstate NY

I make a list too. It helps me remember what I need to do and to buy stuff ahead of time so I have it when I need it.

If I have no money, I just to something else on the list that just takes time. There's always rusty parts to sand blast, paint to be stripped, old parts that need to be taken apart, welding that needs to be finished, etc.

The only way I get motiviated is to get the heat cranked up in the garage as soon as I get home at night and change into my work clothes. Have some dinner, chat with the family and then into the man cave.

If I sit around too long and it gets too late, it's all over.

I know it sounds corny, but I have the TV on in the garage too and have it tuned into what ever motorhead show I can find. Helps keep me motivated.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The cold this week seriously zapped my motivation. Supposed to be mid 60's tomorrow, I'll be able to get some stuff done again. But a list helps.

11. dorksrock

dorksrock

Now that I think of it, I do have some stuff that could be sand blasted, and I could build a crossmember for the transmission... Hmmm... Im starting to get motivated already...

I have a radio in the garage (I think most people do now) and I pop in one of my favorite CD's and crank it up... that also helps motivate me... Having a cleen shop (something I have a hard time doing) also helps me form getting frustrated and giving up on something, because I cant find a tool, or a part, or what not... so more gets done!

Jordan

12. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

I find that if I just make myself go in the garage I will usually do something. It's getting started thats the hard part. Once I start, I will usually finish unless I run out of time. Sometimes I just go in there to look at my project and I will do something. Even if it's something small. Anything that moves you forward is good progress.

MIke

13. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I was watching TV today and decided to bring in my old Raders and hit them with some steel wool while I watched TV. Soon I got all excited by the shiny shiny and ended up out in the garage for the next two hours actually doing stuff. Sometimes seeing a little result is all it takes.

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

Yer Killin Me Dude!
    It was 10 below this morning ... as long as the tools don't freeze to your hands, there's no excuse!:D

15. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Buy some new parts...
    After I spend alot of precious, shoul-have-been-used-for-other-things money, on metal objects...I find it MUCH harder to just let them sit in a pile!
    A list helps, too...but I re-write them all day, everyday, anyway...
    I also like to set completely un-obtainable goals, too...so I feel the pressure, ya' know...

16. DRD57

DRD57

Force yourself to work on your project for 30 minutes every day whether you feel like it or not. Ususally that's all it will take to get you on a roll and you'll end up working for hours. Once in while when the 30 minutes is up you'll quit for the day and that's OK.

Going for a ride in someone else's hot rod usually does it too.

17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am totally weird I guess:eek: .....I go to the can and read my old car rags. I found these pics today, got motivated and I am ready to work my ass off at the garage on Saturday. :cool:

My age is showing...these came from the June 65 issue of hot rod

Attached Files:

18. Harris

Harris

I've been stalled out for a while now, that is until yesterday when a couple of buddies convinced me to enter a car show - on SUNDAY!

It's a bullshit carshow, and my model A's in a bunch of pieces- gonna enter as "under construction." The plan is to take my frame, body, and assorted other crap and line it up as if it's in the garage. My friends and I are gonna try and make "best display" by setting everything up to look like an outdoor garage.

Just finished cleaning/painting my engine that I've had sitting for God only knows how long just waiting for me to get off my lazy ass.

Fear of public humiliation is a great motivational tool. I hate my friends.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm with Don. Sometimes no work clothes. Sometimes it's just a planning session filling out the to do list and listing parts and bolts needed. Just getting out there can revive the juices. If you are consistent about it, it's amazing how much you can get done with only an hour a day. Once you see a little progress, you want to do some more.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I was burnt out for a while due to too many projects and too many breakdowns over the past summer. I never get bored just burnt out.
    I always tell my kids now in there late 20's and 30's.
    Its all a matter of what you want in life. Set your goals and work your ass off to get them. As long as you are accomplishing something you will get there providing you dont run out of time and take a dirt nap.

21. tylerb

tylerb

I know exactly what you guys mean. I live in North Georgia and my shop (if you could call it that) is just a roof with 3 of the 4 sides open. When it gets cold (or extremely hot) it is hard to find motivation to do work. I try and pace myself and do a little work then go inside and take a break for a few min either to warm up or cool down

22. 55cad

55cad

Heres an idea, turn off the computer, go out and do something. Its one thing to be staring at a computer if you're at work(like I am), but come on, you came home early! Get out there!

23. Painterman

Painterman

I found this at a garage sale. It's one of those menu boards from a restaurant. You write on it with a grease pencil. It erases with a cloth. I make a list on it and wipe them off as I complete them. When it's empty I write more stuff on it. I also come on here and look at what everyone else is doing and it motivates me to make progress so I can post it for all to see!

Attached Files:

24. titus

titus

i watch american graffiti, it gets me all fired up.

jeff

25. john56h

john56h

I find that once I get the shop organized and move onto an actual aspect of the project....things start going pretty quickly. It's a lot easier to walk up to the job at hand and pick up where I left off yesterday or so. Tools are already out, supplies on hand, etc...

"Engineering time" sometimes slows the process down a bit, but I like to thoroughly think out the proper solution to every problem that arises...before cutting and welding. I also like to try to anticipate how this work will affect future work. Not to mention that the engineering time might be a bit extra long to accomodate my desire to do everything as cheaply as possible.

26. heat the garage , the cold will make you want to stay in the house everytime.. or just buy more booze! i quess i cant be much help as i suffer from the same symptoms

27. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I forgot about that one...that one ALWAYS works!
    I can't even sit through the whole thing anymore, I end up pausing it and going and working on something...

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

well LA DE FREAKIN DA so you sit on your ASS
    and watch TV to get motivated?
    time to get off your ASS
    and get with the PROGRAM

or you'll wind up 35 years old, THRICE divorced, and living in a VAN down by the RIVER!

29. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

30. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

the key to sucess is standing up.