Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metal Flake Tech...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Conder, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Conder

Conder

Attached Files:

2. Damn that's cool. Great pics.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

that tank is awesome!!!

4. BadLuck

BadLuck

Conder..you rock....I too, am a sucka for flake...very cool article......considering attempting the roof of my 52 soon!We'll see how that gos :(!!

5. McKee

McKee

Nice!

Attached Files:

6. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

painting an enitre car and painting a gas tank is a big difference...

kinda like the difference between painting yer ol ladys toe nails and painting a gas tank....

7. Conder

Conder

The Cadillac in the background was done the exact same way...

Attached Files:

8. Nicholson

Nicholson

"NOTE: This example, right here, illustrates the difference between the COMMERCIAL art and the FINE art approach to a custom paint job. In commercial art, the artist is paid to create something exactly as planned (by him or someone else) in a cost effective and timely manner. In fine art, an artist starts with a basic idea, then the piece evolves, changes, backs up, goes forward, etc. etc. until it's done"

I can't get anything done in a cost effective or timely manner...maybe thats why I'm broke.
    Conder, great tech article. Your paint work is awesome!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  9. Conder

Conder

I really appreciate the comments folks. For the record, every job I've ever done that I really dug was partially financed by me. I'm sure many of you do the same thing...Here's to ya!

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Unfortunately, ya. The customer will never know how much extra time and money went in to the job than whats on the invoice, but thats what makes jobs go from good to great. Cool thread keep updating.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Outstanding Condor! That frame is wicked......
    Having a vinyl plotter, I've used masking in it to cut out designs, but never thought of using the transfer tape as a mask, afraid of bleed thru.....gotta try it now, I've got a shit load of it...haha! And sitting on the 'puter making a design takes too much time.....I prefer working "on the fly"....

I just did a friend's bike (actually, it's still at my place, gotta polish it this weekend).....and yeah....once a job is all masked off with a design, it looks sick.

12. hooligan1

hooligan1

I have a couple questions about shooting flake. Short of buying an agitator spraygun. What is the best way to keep the flake evenly distributed in the cup? What size tips are needed to properly spray flake and does the size of the flake matter to which tip is used?

Thanks

13. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Condor you make it seem all too easy! I know I'll prolly muck it up the first try, but your tech definitely makes me wanna give it a go.

14. CAS

CAS

Wow. That's really cool. Great way to sum it up. I always like seeing how other people lay the flake.
    Great job!!!

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Great work man, thanks for the insight...

Maybe read the article? He pretty much tells it all... tip size, stirring up until he shoots, the shimmy, the shake...

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

I WANT TO KNOW MORE! i'm eating this stuff up. always been a fan of Conder's art, paint, everything. was doing some searching for custom paint and Conder in particular when i came across this little tid bit. very well written Tim and very thorough. but i just want to know MORE! more about how you do outlines and more on the shadows you always seem to have that make your flames look like they are standing right up off the vehicle. more on EVERYTHING. i feel like a junky who needs a fix.

17. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Awesome. Can you show how to do "Fish Scales"?

18. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Also, let me see if I understand the Pearl Orange step. Do you spray thr orange, then tape off the outside edge of the orange and use that as the "outline" istead of striping it later with a brush? How do you keep the tape symetrical when laying it over the orange? Because I dont see the orange outline on the final product.

19. Conder

Conder

There is no brushstriping in the Bikernet story. I intended to use masked outlines on that job, but changed my mind while writing the article. I wound up burying the flames in clear, sanding everything flat and then coating the work in MetalFlake Spray Mask. I then hand cut each flame outline with a #11 X-Acto blade and sprayed down H.O.K. KBC-11 Apple Red Candy...After all that was done I coated it all in H.O.K. UK-11 Candy Apple Red.

If you try the tape technique and want to control your lines, try using 3M Fine line "green" tape. I use 1/16". Slightly overlapping the edge of your outline tape over the basic flame tape will let you know where you are on your layout. Use the back of your fingernail to burnish the tape. Be sure to do your layout in a very well lit space.

Haven't been on here in a while - haven't updated the site in a while either, but if you want to see more go to "current Work" and click on the pictures. - www.condercustom.com - Thanks!

Attached Files:

20. ...Conder, thanks so much! Great work as always!