Register now to get rid of these ads!

winter project,,,shoebox daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

bought this 50 coupe from a hamber back in july,,finally got settled in the new shop and starting to mock up the car,,,plans are for a mild kustom daily driver. back in july, i welded in a 50 merc shell, removed the license guard on the trunk, filled the hole from it, installed one of the 41 lincoln door buttons it will be getting....then it basically sat while i moved to a bigger and better shop,,,,,,,,today i pulled it in and mocked up a couple more of my ideas for the car......the car will be getting canted 53/54 buick headlights,,a 50s studebaker accessory rear license guard (will sit higher than the mock up pics show,,needs to be ground and shaped)...louvered hood,,,and possibly 58 ford side trim or 56 desoto side trim (not decided on that yet) the grille will be either a 49 merc or a floating kaiser bar (52 i think)....heres a few pics from today...

Attached Files:

2. Lookin great, love the Buick headlights!

3. Spike!

Spike!

Awsome! That new place is so clean!

Spike

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks,,,,its a GREAT place,,
    heres a couple of pics of my office,,

Attached Files:

5. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Damn you were a busy man....

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

That cars uglier than I am!

Wait that didn't come out right.

I am uglier than that car.

Ya, thats it.

Nice.

7. 50fish

50fish

Love the front end, real head turner.

8. Flop

Flop

lookin good . nice work man . im almsot ready to chop the pontiac . gapped the door i got from ya today. to bad you were out of that old shop ,man was that place cool.... and what ever happened to your caddy?

9. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

im not much of a custom guy but man that thing is cool. really changes the look of the car. nice shop too.

10. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Looks a lot better now. It's really taking form. Are you going to run it with primer or paint it ?

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

it'll get painted,,,,leaning towards that real pale green from the 50's..almost all of the car companies had one,,ford, buick, caddy, olds,etc,etc...
    thanks for all the feedback guys..

12. head light look great! nice job

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks,,,,,the headlights will look even better after i weld them on,,hahahah,,,right now they are just mocked up with duct tape....

maybe i should do a tech thread on kustomizing with duct tape....

14. Flop

Flop

i did the same thing with my 53 caddy lights on the front of my pontiac!!!

15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahaha,,,,i had the 49 quarters duct taped to the 41 caddy for weeks so i could study the flow and make sure they were gonna work,,,

16. EdselRich

EdselRich

looks good now if only i could somehow get all my stuff in your shop and get all your stuff on this crappy gravel driveway i work on life would be good on second thought leave the shoebox you don't need it

17. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">nice job, Rags
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18. Looks good so far, always love pics of another shoebox.

19. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

i almost bought that heap and boy has it come a looooong way. looks great.

20. scoottattoo

scoottattoo
    from Nevada

I have a 50 coupe myself and it looks like a great job on the shell. Very clean out back too. As much as I hate to be the only one to say so but the lights arent doin it for me. Love the lights themselves, its the canting that gets me. It seems as if a lot of mods for a custom have this way of making these shoebox's look european. I personally am going to do all I can to remove the european feel from my car. Although different and still cool, I think an upright approach would give you a steeper look "stiff upper lip". The canted kind of softens this to me. Just my opinion. Diggin the rear gaurd big time though. Keep on it.

21. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

A true fifties custom indeed with the canted headlights.

22. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

yeah man,,thats what im going for,,,its hard to be original..most things have been done before,,,,,,i cant recall ever seeing this done though..............

started cutting the metal tonight and fitting up the buckets,,,i have the first bucket almost ready to weld to the fender,,i will need to make some very small filler pieces, but the fit was surprisingly good,,,,,,when i get a little further along i'll put up some progress pics.......

23. Nicholson

Nicholson

I'm building a '49 coupe for my dad. I bought some '53 Buick headlights back in February and have yet to get them installed. I was going to do the same thing. Cant the headlights and build a custom grille. Instead I've been working on the floor pans and taillights. Now I feel like a copy cat.....I really like the looks of your car, great job.

24. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Just wondering if your going to let people eat and drink in it? :rolleyes:

25. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

It's pretty hard to be original with a shoebox ford but I think you're pulling it off. I can't wait to see it done. I'm a sucker for piss green too. I was sad to see the caddy go but the new one will be every bit as cool and you got the caddy far enough along that the next owner can do it. I'm a fan of more cool cars on the road.

26. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks,,,the shoebox will be my daily,,,,,it was tough letting go of the caddy,,but was what i needed to do at the time,,,i moved to a bigger and better shop, bought some equipment i needed, and was able to get the 40 merc convertible i had been bugging my friend to sell me for the last 20 years,,,i feel like i did ok,,,,,,,
    ive got some killer plans for the merc,,,need to do this daily driver first,,,,then get my girlfriends 48 hudson club coupe onto a late model chassis,,,,then onto the merc,,,,,

27. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

yup.....im gonna set up one of those all you can eat chinese buffets in there...

28. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston