Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine vs Motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powerplant, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After searching and finding nothing but still assuming it has been discussed before, I still need to know....what does everyone have between the frame rails that produces internal combustion, makes noise and propels the vehicle... a engine or a motor?

The reason I bring this up..... it is one of my pet peeves. I know it is probably stupid but after being on the board for a little while now I notice terminology is scrutinized in other arena's so why not throw this one out there for some flaming.

My opinion: Motors drive windshield wipers. Unless what propels your car has a huge battery bank for power.... you have a engine that propels your vehicle and not a motor.

It is my observation that most folks refer to them as motors but I don't think there is any thought put into the term before it is used. So what is the consensus? Engine or Motor?

2. Mill....

3. turdytoo

turdytoo

What ever Webster says if your trying to prove a point, if we're just talking, who gives a shit.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

if it bugs ya, next time ask for lube oil

5. Ha!!

Sorry... but a mill grinds stuff up. I work in a coal fired powerplant... our mills grind up coal.:D

I am guessing I opened a can of worms that has been opened many times.

I imagine there are 1000 slang terms

6. Dirty2

Dirty2

A powerplant .:confused: :D

7. 8flat

8flat

Engine = internal combustion
    Motor = electric

Feel free to mix that around at leisure.....

8. Ole don

Ole don

It has been beat to death a thousand times. Engines, motors, if they make a vehicle move, call it what you like. Most people wont care, and those who do need more to do.

9. ascenttm

ascenttm
    from HERE

An Engine.
    Because a Motor is electrical.
    And Gas is a vapor, so you can't fill your car with gas from the Gasoline station.
    But I really don't care, unless I'm confused, then nobody cares.

10. Hmmmmmmmmmm . . . I kind of like the looks of a traditional "Flat Motor" in a rod . . . never heard it called a "Flat Engine" :D

Call it what you like - as long as you like it and it's cool . . .

11. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

So, Detroit should be called Engine City, not Motor City?

And Tamla Engtown music will be more famous than Tamla Motown? :)

And the heavy rock band; Motorhead, well, what can you say.

12. Larry T

Larry T

At least it's a traditional misuse of the word, not a modern one like some of the other stuff you hear---bobber pickup, gassers without fenders, etc.
    But at the end of the thread, no one is gonna change the way they think, talk, or type because of what's here.
    Larry T

13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

To all of the nitpicking anti-motor people, do some research. An engine is just one type of motor - so either term is correct.

It's like you're smugly saying, "That isn't a mammal stupid, it's a horse!" Well guess what genius... semantics makes hot rods boring.

14. Interesting, I have a mill and it cuts metal.

Nothing quite like starting an argument just so you can win....

15. Thumper

Thumper

Well.........It all depends on what section of the country your standing in at the time. Down south here....the folks that have been born and raised here (me)..we call them motors. Folks over on the west coast and up in the northern region generally call them engines. The correct terminology is engines. But I could give a rats ass. They will always be motors to me.:D

Sounds kinda fucked up calling a Motorcycle an "Enginecyle" .

16. Yea unless its not really a mill. 9 your shit and my shit are called a mill, the rest of these guys it remains to be seen:D:D

OK so on the the monster big question of the day. Motors are electric.

That said I as likely to call the beast a motor as not and I don't really care if anyone thinks I'm stupid or not. It just really doesn't matter to me.:rolleyes:

But motors are electric.

now onto bigger n better things.

A locomotive that is steam powered has a steam engine. so why is there no distinction between the internal cumbustion engine and a steam engine when it comes to shortened terminology??? Both are engines. Right??? :confused:

17. I throw up the white flag, sorry to ruin everyones day. You all are right.. I need to get out to the garage and get some work done on my ride rather than worry about this crap.

18. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Engine is not powered by electricity. A motor can be.

19. I heard an interesting description for a steam engine a while back.
    An external combustion engine - with full torque available at 0 rpm.

Am I correct in thinking that a gun is an open cycle adiabatic heat engine?

Ya know, some interesting stuff could come from a silly post like this . . . long as we play nice....:D

20. Tech week over already??:confused:

Dammit :mad:

21. Hey this is tech. Sortof.

9 I hadn't heard that about the steam engine interesting.

Here's another one for the books way back before there was wvwe an engine made they called catapults, battering rams, siege towers and other intruments of war engines. Although i don't think they were ever called motors.

Problem with these posts is that they have a tendency to bring out the drama and someone always ends up whinning to Ryan or one of the moderators.

As a matter of fact I'm starting to feel so violated right now has anyone got any cheese?

22. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

An engine MAKES power.. A motor USES power...

23. turdytoo

turdytoo

Amen.

24. bobscogin

bobscogin

Both convert a form of energy into power and the ability to perform work at a specific rate, thus the terms can be used interchangeably. The biggest difference I see is that "engine" is a noun only. "Motor" can be a noun or a verb.

Bob

25. i need a beer! and maybe a shot..

26. BenW455

BenW455

Its an engine. But when Richard Petty gets out of the car and says "we blew the motor" whos gonna argue with the King.:)

27. DrJ

DrJ

To begine with, language and the definitions of words aren't "carved in stone" we have a fluid language in which words can and do change in definition over time and in regional use.
    Just think about the various uses of the word GAY over the past century...

The truck I drive came with garish chrome spears on the sides of the hood that say "GENERAL MOTORS TRUCK."
    I have them hanging on the garage wall now.

GM is not GE.
    GE deals with electricity, and mortgages...
    AMTRAK has diesel powered electric GENERATORS that power the Electric ENGINES.
    And the Hybrids are sometimes refered to as having a power plant...
    Borrowed that one from the local hydro/electric generator much?

I find the MOTOR/ENGINE difference to be more regional than definitive.
    Ya won't hear bubba sayin "The engine broke in my stock car."
    My Texan Dad called it a MOTOR so I usually do too.
    That's the way I learned it, so that sounds right to me.
    Them "damn Yankees" up North might or the pickle people who have their driver deliver them in their Packard to the Automobile Concourse probably call that thing they never personally touch an ENGINE... :rolleyes:

I think using MILL might be Gray Baskerville "HOTROD JIVE" but it's definitely the hotrodder's name for that thing under the hoo.. between the rails in front of the hoodless firewall.
    Yea, a MILL grinds coffee... It's also the name of a tool that can also surface heads, hogg out billet, or weaves cloth.

I got my license to drive from the California Department of MOTOR Vehicles... Not Department of ENGINE Vehicles.
    Didn't the British originally call a (they were steam powered) Farm Tractor a "Traction ENGINE"?

I don't think Motor is electric and Engine is gas holds up because model airplanes use Rubberband "Motors".
    I think motor is just a relative of the word "motivate".
    I just used a
    SEARCH ENGINE for "ENGINE" from English to other languages
    engine noun

a machine in which heat or other energy is used to produce motion
    (notice it says: "or other energy")
    Example: The car has a new engine.
    Arabic: ????????
    Chinese (Simplified): ???
    Chinese (Traditional): ???
    Czech: motor
    Danish: motor
    Dutch: motor
    Estonian: mootor
    Finnish: moottori, kone
    French: moteur
    German: der Motor
    Greek: mhcan?, kinht?raV
    Hungarian: motor
    Icelandic: vél, hreyfill
    Indonesian: mesin
    Italian: motore
    Japanese: ????
    Korean: ??, ??
    Latvian: motors; dzine¯js
    Lithuanian: variklis, motoras
    Norwegian: maskin, motor
    Polish: silnik, motor
    Portuguese (Brazil): motor
    Portuguese (Portugal): motor
    Romanian: motor
    Russian: ?????????
    Slovak: motor
    Slovenian: motor
    Spanish: motor
    Swedish: motor, maskin
    Turkish: motor, makine

but from the same source "motor" doesn't seem to get translated to "engine". it says;
    motor noun

a machine, usually a petrol engine or an electrical device, that gives motion or power
    Example: a washing-machine has an electric motor; (also adjective) a motor boat/vehicle.
    So I have to think that MOTOR is a more common term in World languages than engine for that thing that powers a vehicle.

HAPPY MOTORING!

29. :eek: I have a motor in my car, I know because the state charges me motor fuel tax. Could the state ever be wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.