Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Gasser straight axle Puddin style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShakeyPuddin55, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Again, a lot of the nuts and bolts are still from mock up.

Here is a nice shot showing how the steering turned out. The cool thing about making everything yourself is you can move stuff around until it fits. You can also see where we used the factory steering column with the DD steering shaft and two U joints:

[​IMG]

2. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

3. Wowcars

Wowcars

One of the great things about you and this car, your willingness to share. A while back I asked about the engine and you unloaded more than I could comprehend. Most guys clam up about their hardware. My hats off to you. This is one of my favorite HAMB cars. Keep it comin!

4. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Not really related to the straight axle install, but I had already purchased a new door from a HAMBER and it was primed and ready to go on.

Showed here still with the rusty and smashed door:

[​IMG]

5. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Shown here with the motor back in. As you can see I had junk valve covers on and had put a fresh coat of paint.

[​IMG]

For the fuel tank mounting, Mike made a bar and bolted it to the frame and I used the Moon style spreader bar brackets. Note the tank is completely behind the front crossmember. NHRA tech specifies it must be inside the frame rails of the car. It would never fly sticking off the front like you see on a lot of faux gassers.

I remember wanting to do something more creative for the tank mounts, but it works and looks pretty clean:

[​IMG]

6. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

With a motor and mid plate combination, the engine and trans can still move back and front (flex) under hard acceleration or braking.

We added engine travel limiters on each side. Mike made everything. We added mounting brackets to the stock motor mount bosses in the block and welded tabs to the frame. The limiters are adjustable and made with 2 spherical rods ends. All of this hardware was chromed also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cshabang

Cshabang

thank you sir for a kick ass post. I love the steering arm trick...how about some part numbers....haha

8. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I don't think you guys would mind if I covered the flip front end set up.

I asked around for ideas on this also.

At first, I started with this old 1 piece glass nose since my front sheet metal was banged up from the wall.

We bent up some steel tubing and ended up using the front spring perch bolts as a pivot points with these adjustable rod ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Appleseed

Appleseed

I don't care if some guy shows us how to make a space shuttle from old milk jugs, this post wins Tech Week.

10. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Here she is rolled outside for the first time in months:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flip front end:

[​IMG]

11. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

12. This car gives me goose bumps!

You and your buddy did a phenominal job.

Absolutely awesome!!

BloodyKnuckles

13. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I just wasn't feeling the glass nose. HAMB classifieds to the rescue! I bought this complete steel front end from Vic Young out of Camarillo. Vic has a gasser style 55 being built by the HAMB's Kiwikev.

Mike welded it up to make it a one piece and used the bar he bent up from the glass nose.

I wanted old school function here. Race car stuff... not show car stuff. It turned out fine in my opinion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

So was your friend with the chrome shop able to bake the pieces (to get the hydrogen out) or did you have to take them somewhere else?

15. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

This was a tough decision, but I decided to go ahead and cut up a perfectly good hood so the injector stacks would pop out the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

The weather was good and there was a nostalgia race coming up at Speedworld, so I spray bombed the front end with a rattle can, hung the new door. And got ready to go racing:

Shown here at the track, first time out with the axle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Here it is the same day at the track. That is Mike in the burnout box telling me to heat em up.

You cant believe the nerves I had with this all new front end the first time out. I never made a partial pass. I went balls out. Mike was very confident in his work and told me to just do it.

I know a lot of you have seen this video, but here it is again: 9.76 @ 133MPH.

18. Agh * Ack * Arghhhhhhhhh!
    Damn! Too much!

19. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Fantastic tech on the awesome job done by you guys.
    What a sweet frikin car!! Thanks

20. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

A few months later at Pinks All Out:

Now with the weathered paint, Two Lane Blacktop look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gettin it done at the 2007 CHRR with a 9.73 @ 133MPH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Awesome work and great pictures with explanation.

22. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

Awsome thread. Love the car. What angle did you use at the kingpin. I've read that 10 degrees works good. Your set up obviously works well.

23. fitzee

fitzee

Great post.Been popping in all day to see the finsh.This car is just too cool.

24. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

What is the width of your front springs? Are you using a sleaved rubber bushing or brass bushings in the spring eyes? What size are the eye bolts?

Thanks for the great post! Looks Good!!

25. What thickness is that moly axle?

26. BigWigRaceCars

BigWigRaceCars
    from Austin, TX

Great work! Thanks for posting. Really enjoyed this one.

27. Chandler Racing

Chandler Racing

That's a baaad '55!

28. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

very, VERY nice work, and the pictures speak VOLUMES...excellent post!

EDIT: I posted that before I actually saw the last couple videos...(yeah, I got ahead of myself), anyone else get goosebumps seeing that thing run? AMAZING!!

I am bowing down to you Sir...awesome car, awesome build, awesome pics...awesome tech...speechless over here...

29. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Took the words right out of my mouth. You will be getting PMs out the wazoo now! Thanks a million.
    Robert