Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblock292, Nov 9, 2007.

1. I looked at it at the local grocery store and left it there. Not enough there yet for the hefty $7.00 price tag. At their $7.00 an issue price, I would rather buy couple gallons of gas and drive my hot rod instead. The Primedia corporate conglomerate suits are sitting on a gold mine with the Hot Rod/Rod and Custom archives and I don't know if they have a clue. If they put out a monthly with the old pictures, old tech articles, current and old Bonneville coverage with a some features of traditional hot rods and Bonneville racers, it wouldn't take a big staff to do it and they would make some money. I would probably subscribe if they kept it in line price wise with their other mags. The corporate types will probably fuck it up anyway, though. Freiberger should be given a ton of money, total control and be left alone to do right.

2. I just got it at my local Wally World, and since I always look at the back pages first, what do I see but Crusty Nut's ( that's his name on the HAMB) stretched door, 4-71 blown Flathead, Model A truck !!

Good job, Matt !!
    Now, onto the magazine.
    I can tell you from past magazine experience (I worked for a car magazine under the McMullen-Argus/K-III/Primedia banner for quite a few years) that advertisers, pay the freight, on ANY magazine. Without advertising, the magazine will have two choices- (1) charge more for the magazine, like 7 or 8 bucks, or (2) Fold up, like what happened to the magazine I worked for, once the Bean Counter in New York figured out that is was costing 8 beans to put the magazine out, and there was only 7 beans being returned...
    When Primedia bought out Peterson Publishing/EMAP. or whatever they were called at the time, I had an opportunity to check out some of the archives.... HOLY SHIT.
    Yeah, they know what they have in the archives.
    If you want the magazine to stick around, there are a number of things you can do- Buy it, so they know that it will sell on the newsstands, subscribe if offered the opportunity, and if you have a business, advertise. There's a chance that if all of these things happened, the price of the magazine might even drop down a little, because the advertisers would be able to help offset the initial cost of the magazine.
    Dave freiburger, if you read this, I say good job. Quit calling Studebaker Larks Ramblers, and I'll buy the next issue, too....(pp. 15, the "For Sale" Wagon)

3. Freiburger

Freiburger

Untrue.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

5. repoman

repoman

This mag had more cool shit than than I've seen in print anywhere in awhile.

I grew up reading Hot Rod, and over the years most of it was BS. I would read it to get a page or two of what I just got in HRD. Great job Frei! I didn't know you knew how to work a camera, -did they make you do everything yourself? Was that you stocking the magazine rack at Wegman's?

Everyone crying about 7 bucks? If it's too much, why are people scrambling to find a copy? Move out of the sticks and join the modern economy, Cletus.

6. Muttley

Muttley

But thats not where I saw it, I'm almost positive it was in Hot Rod about four or five years ago. BTW I wasnt bashing the mag, I thought it was pretty darn good.

7. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Just picked a copy and I think I like it

8. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i thought the same thing at first,,but the car they(steve magnante) did in hotrod a few years back was a red mopar....

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I FINALLY found a stack of them at the local Kroger and picked it up.
    Everyone's panties are in a wad over two bucks? "I'll buy it for five bucks, but not seven..." I was reminded of people driving across town to buy gas that's three cents a gallon cheaper...totally missing that if they're dead empty, and have a 20 gallon tank, they're saving a whopping sixty cents. If I'll buy a magazine on the rack for five bucks, why the hell wouldn't I buy it for two bucks more? That's less than a gallon of premium. While you're worrying about it, don't forget to clean your plate, because kids are starving in Africa.
    Get over it.
    I bought it for the straight axle Corvette feature, and the Flathead guide. I didn't thumb thru the magazine more than that. Flipped through and saw the Vette feature, flipped through some more and saw the flat head guide, and knew it had to come home with me. I think it's a good read, has useful info, and the vintage coverage is awesome. I dug the flipper caps on the light colored '56 Ford push truck, and the other black '56 with the white roof near it. (Find 'em!)
    It'll have to keep growing, and go in that same direction, but if they can pull it off, it'll be a great mag. Broads and hot rods go great together too...just keep the skanky walking inkblots out of it.
    First effort was enough to make me buy the next one.

-Brad

10. Bought it yesterday,very impressed,surely it will grow a little since it's only the first issue.

11. Retroharley

Retroharley

www.hotrod.com

12. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

A little late but thanks. I appreciate you answering. I already got the mag though.

13. MonsterGarage

MonsterGarage

Dayna Delux+Head Skratcher= great mag. gotta pay for quality.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I bought it week or two ago and it is still being used at the head. I like it so far and I hope they start packing more and more into it like HOT ROD magazine. It seems to last for weeks on end. Nice layout and history.

15. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Man, I found it at Meijer, and thought I fell in a gold mine! I've been drooling over that Dart all week. I am in the process of doing the front axle treatment on my Comet so the step-by-step was GREAT! Check March 2005 Hot Rod for more AWB treatment. It has an article about Mr. Rich funnifying a '64 Fairlane.

16. boojoe

boojoe

Got mine in walmart.... real nice pics

17. Freiburger

Freiburger

I didn't know that Magnante had double-sold the story. The story was not a Hot Rod retread.

FYI, early reports say the newsstand sales on HRD are super strong, $6.99 or not. I don't know what the company will do with price or pages for the next one, but I'm guessing that there will be a next one.

18. Ebert

Ebert

Brad, I could not say it better...yo bro!!!!!

Ebert

19. brainfrz

brainfrz

Gotta say, got mine at Lucky's last night and love the mag. Price is well worth it for quality. Good picks, love the old stuff, MORE, MORE! The writing is ok, but needs more. Traditional Rod and Kulture took awhile for the articles to catch up with the pics. But will the Hot Rod parent muttle with the nice quality of #1, time will tell. Thanks for another coffee table stable.

Jon

20. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

It was cool to see our German Trash on page 16 from Speed Week. Out of the few hundred beautiful American cars they picked us!:D

21. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

I hope they get past No. 2 this time around . Good luck.

22. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

When I saw this magazine on it's first time around I thought it was great. Now that all these other traditional mags are out everywhere you look it's even better. Hot rod started it all and hopefully will be able to do so in the future. Being someone who doesn't have a famous builder or iconic car culture figure to hang out with on a daily basis this magazine really gives me a sense of what it woould be like to be that hip. I can't wait for issue #2.

23. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

24. Freiburger

Freiburger

I got word they ARE doing another issue...I'll guess probably more, too.

25. 2xcrash

2xcrash

I was looking forward to the flathead artical. It's a reprint from a hot rod mag extra on enginnes from last year

26. Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp

I just bought the '53 Studebaker turned el Camino pictured in the center of the '50 ORS picture...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like this now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been sitting in a garage in Concord, CA since 1964 when it was torn down for a color change.

Anybody know this car or have any info on it? Reported to be built by Barris.

27. thinkfink

thinkfink

Anyone wants to sell his hot rod deluxe #1 (spring issue 08 with Dayna on the cover)???

Need the thing urgently as a birthday gift for a friend.

I pay 20$ for a mint/good as new copy.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  28. wideside72

wideside72
    from Leander TX

I am looking for the first two issues of 08 to complete my collection. Spring 08 is the first, I think Fall 08 is the second.

29. post in the wanted ads.. for better response. do you realize how OLD this freakin' thread is?!

30. 1935olds

1935olds

I think the best one out there is "Garage".