Register now to get rid of these ads!

3x2 Edelbrock flathead intakes questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercjoe, Nov 18, 2007.

1. mercjoe

mercjoe

Ignorant question:

When did Edelbrock stoped making "SU 359" 3x2 intakes and for how many years were this produced ?

UPDATE:
    Ok guys, got it for $190 and it looks new everywhere, it must have been used for just a few miles if ever used.

Anyone willing to trade for 349 ?!

Thanks
    Diego

Attached Files:

2. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

There are two types of tripower Edelbrock manifolds, the early 42/48 and the late 49/53. I thought they stopped making them in the 70's.........????

A good one is around $250/350.........

3. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Forgot the picture of the late (49/53) SU.

Attached Files:

4. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I have a nice polished one I would let go for $275.

5. mercjoe

mercjoe

In the 70's really ? So are these considered rare ? I guess not, price is more than fair.....

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I think that's high for a common intake like this - they aren't rare by any stretch. Call me cheap, but I wouldn't pay more than $175 for an SU349...

7. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Merjoe,

The 359 looks good, the $233 sounds like a good deal, if you don't want it I'll take it for that. As long as someone hasn't hog'd out the intake side then I'd go for it!

Dikster27,
    Send me some pictures, I'd be interested if it's nice and the Edelbrock is still there. Is it a 59 or 49?

8. lonewolf

lonewolf

i have that same intake on a 50 merc with progressive linkage and i love it, they have nice intake ports are not real small and restricted like other makes, flip it over and if it doesnt have the small holes for the exhaust gasses to go in buy it (some have the holes and some dont) i just sold that same intake on epay with the holes for 350

9. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hey John, I have your hanging in my garage..You need it..
    Duane..

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Edelbrock told me the triple is being re-introduced this year. Introduced early 1950's, I think, might be able to pinpoint a year from old catalogs. I know it's not in my oldest E catalog, which is probably '48-9.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think only change on new one is that the bracket slot up front will be stock Ford width so you can make your fan mount entirely from Ford parts and not the little cast fan bracket edelbrock once sold.

12. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

A couple more questions;

Were the "SU 359" manifolds like the one shown in mercjoe's picture - NO oil filler or road draft outlet at the front -
    a COMMON PLENUM manifold? (can be operated with progressive linkage - 1 to three carbs.)

And did they come WITH or WITH OUT manifold heat?

13. banjorear

banjorear

And did they come WITH or WITH OUT manifold heat?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are out there either way. Seems the ones with no heat are more readily available than the ones with.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

They have full length plenums, and can be run as singles or duals or progressive. Also, the Edelbrock is one of few that has room for Ford 94 carbs in place of Strombergs.

15. banjorear

banjorear

Correct, Bruce!

Been told that it is a great, effective 3X2 intake.

16. banjorear

banjorear

If you find one at the price, buy it & I'll pay you a $25 finders fee.

Even used Offys bring that price now.

Please note, I'm cheap too & wouldn't pay that for an Offy.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I just picked up a wounded and repaired, nameless (well, an "R" remains) Offy with cut 94's...I think any older triple is now getting valuable. Common, but demand is very high. I kinda like older repaired stuff..."Yep, I was passing over AJ's car, sideways and upside down, and the generator mount snapped off against his helmet..."

18. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

It's a 359 and yes, the Edelbrock name is still on it. It is exactly like the first one pictured above except it's shiny.
    Dick

19. mercjoe

mercjoe

I also think price was fair. But listening to cheaps is a good thing !!!
    I listened to "Flat Ernie" and finally closed deal for $195.Im happy :)

Im selling my flathead powered Merc but I have a 59A I'll be putting on some car some day.

Still no one answered when Edelbrock quit making these ones !!!

Thanks Guys
    Diego

20. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've sold a couple in the past few years for about $180 or so - probably had $125-150 in them. Don't have any currently...

I'm sure the market keeps moving up, but I'm a cheapskate for stuff like this until I just can't find 'em at a decent price, then I "inch" upward grudgingly & complain loudly about it! ;) :D

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I still have nightmares about all the great manifolds I couldn't afford back when they were $20, and the $30 Edelbrock slingshot...

22. mercjoe

mercjoe

When was that ? this intakes were worth $30 ? I guess that was at least 20+ years ago.

23. Abomination

Abomination

You know they'll tell ya if you just call Edelbrock. 1-800-FUN-TEAM is their real number.

~Jason

24. Had to be more than 20 years ago - at least out West. I was eyeing and buying flathead stuff ( all that I could find and/or afford ) in the mid 70's to mid 80's . . . in the Los Angeles area.

Most common manifolds were $50 - 75. The one I liked the best was a Navarro Race Model - 3 jug. It had 3 Stomberg 97's on it, linkage and cost me $75! That was a good deal . . . just moved all my flathead stuff to Ohio 4 years ago --> there it was, with the swap meet price sticker still on it!

I've always been partial to Navarro stuff . . . especially all the vintage products. I'm also glad that H&H bought Navarro out before he died -- they are the right type of outfit to carry his legacy on.

25. mercjoe

mercjoe

Should this intake fit a 49-51 flatty ?

26. It will fit, though you need to consider that is required for the crankcase ventilation system to work. A 49-53 engine had a front road draft tube - that was importatn to pull air from the valve area. If you just put this manifold on a 49-53 and do not consider what you need to do to insure that fresh air is pumped through the engine, then this is not good. Search the HAMB and FordBarn for the necessary modifications to run an early model manifold -- or to add a more modern PCV system.

Combustion gases and water vapor is a big problem --- fresh air is needed to clear the environment . . . so don't overlook the issue.

Dale

27. 1952henry

1952henry

I saw the main part of a Edlebrock slingshot for sale on ebay. It was missing the top Y part. The seller advertised it not as a slingshot, but a four barrel manifold. In the description it was stated that it took some odd kind of big four barrel! I can't remember why I wasn't at the end of the auction. I wanted to snag it with hopes of finding the top part someday down the road. I can imagine more top parts survived over the years than the main parts.

28. klazurfer

klazurfer

1948 : Nutn` SU ... 1949 : SU This`n that:

Attached Files:

• su1.jpg
      su1.jpg
      File size:
      57 KB
      Views:
    • su2.jpg
      su2.jpg
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
    • su3.jpg
      su3.jpg
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
    • su4.jpg
      su4.jpg
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
  29. mercjoe

mercjoe

Thanks Klaz, but still font get it. The 359 is for both 38/48 and 49/53
    engines and the 349 is only for 49-53s ?!

Great pics
    Thanks again.

Diego

30. You'll notice that the 349 has the front road-draft tube hole - whereas the 359 does not. Plenty of people have ran BOTH manifolds on 39-48 and 49-53 motors . . . in most cases not caring about the crankcase breathing issues. We just wanted to make sure that you know there are differences and there are steps to take care of the issues of running certain manifolds on certain year engines.

Hope this helps . . .

Dale