Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual Steering Improvements?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Westside Lefty, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

I's there anythink that can be done to improve manual steering on a 54 Chev? Obviously, some smartass wants to say " install MII" but I'm serious.

2. squirrel

squirrel

what about it do you want to improve? make it easier to steer? does it have too much slop? or what?

Usually running radial tires makes a big difference, that is, it covers up a lot of problems that cause wobble and erratic steering with bias ply tires.

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Lift weights.

4. DrJ

DrJ

And run a stock diameter steerng wheel, stock offset wheels, and a NEWLY rebushed idler arm and all the other bushed moving parts de-slopped.

(Is de-slopped a word?)

Adjust the steering box when it's centered at the "high-center" spot.

5. My 54 has all of this done and drives like a champ. My wife even loves to drive it and she is used to a super cushy late model Buick.

6. The Shocker

The Shocker

Run a shitload of air pressure in the front tires (45 psi) .Thats what i do .Beats the hell out of me with the short springs and straight axle,but with the spooled rearend and little steering wheel , i need all the help i can get .It does seem to help me turn the Raunchero a bit easier ...

7. Midwest Rat

Midwest Rat
    from Illinois

Where is a good place to get a new idler arm or idler arm rebuild kit. I bought one from Rare Parts and just tried putting it together and we had to flap the bushings quite a bit to get the pin to fit. Then the pin would not start in the housing. It felt like the pin was to big. This is on a 54 chevy 210 also.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Small tires like 165 x 15s or 185 x 14s (or bias 5.90 or 6.40 x 15s) help a lot. I've run 32-35 lbs on the pass. side, 29-32 lbs driver's side for years with good success. Take the drag link apart & check for broken springs or flattened pivot balls. Adjust the steering box the right way - loosen the top adjustment, then adjust the one on the bottom of the box, then the upper one. Fill the box with a Lubriplate 105 & STP mixture - it won't leak out quite as fast. A bit more caster helps, too. If it isn't lowered, do it - they drive better ...