Register now to get rid of these ads!

manifold for the raised block Desoto Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 mopar_fan, Oct 28, 2007.

1. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi guys, commissioned a talented pattern maker to work with me to build a manifold for the raised block Desoto. I have attached a couple of photos to show progress. As you can see the manifold has a removable top, the one pictured is for three two but we will have a single four and a two four top available also.
    As you can see the manifold is tall but the finished one will sit at approximately the height of the distributor cap with the Carb mounting above that. The runners angle into the ports nicely.
    The water outlet comes out the front with a bypass just behind the thermostat to pick up the original water pump bypass. Vacuum ports will be just under the back of the manifold.
    Just adding the finishing touches now and should be ready to get the first one cast early November. Will get them machined and hopefully ready to run one up by the end of November
    The second photo is the core box. To give you an impression of the work done.
    I will be trying to sell a few to recover the cost of development but I’m not looking for cash until they are available. Not sure of the final price will have a better idea when the final machining is done.
    Please let me know what you think and if you are interested in one, will be cast in limited numbers as cash and demand dictates
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

2. djmartins

djmartins

Yeahhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Woo hooo!!!!!!

3. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

I take that as a yes vote? :)

4. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

i would like to have one if i can afford it. count me in.
    dan

5. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

And here is the other option for the manifold, yes will be a little high but what the heck. Planning on including injector bosses and possibly tabs to adapt a blower

Attached Files:

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

wow... VERY impressive..

if u are so inclined, PM me with the guy that did the wood work for you and a rough extimate of what he charged you... i have a friend looking for something

7. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Looking forward to seeing the finished article. Nice to see an option other than log manifolds. Would be really interested to see how it performs, if its good, count me in.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man!!! WOW!! That's awesome!!

Wish someone would redo the cross ram manifolds for all the early makes of Hemis. I would love to run a cross ram 6x2!

What are those molds actually made of??

Very exciting to see stuff like this. Very exciting for Desoto hemi owners as well!

9. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi
    Sand cast Alloy, Trying to locate a running 330 locally to give it a run and get some performance figures. Want to compare it against a stock manifold. Will try to get it on a flow bench but need to get the first one cast first

Cheers

10. Hmmm I could be interested in one fo these too for my 330 De Soto,

Keep us in the loop champ, looks like a very nice pattern !!

Rat

11. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..I would also like one if the price is fair..
    Duane

12. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Hey, that looks good, and i,m sure that desotos will be going up in price as soon as you sell them.

13. ManiacT

ManiacT

I have a 330 DeSoto and would like one also. Looks great.

14. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Any news Peter? You said early Nov', and us boys are getting excited out here in HAMB land!!

15. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Wow!! Man I love it...depending on price...count me in!! Can I say wow again...Yes!

16. marq

marq

i want one how much are they made yet?i have a 330 Desoto too you know and i need more street cred...............Marq

17. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi guys
    Thanks for the positive comments on the manifold. The finishing details such as name and identification are being added now. The pattern has been painted and sanded to fill get the finish we want We are looking to get the first one cast within the next couple of weeks and should have the machine work done early December. I want to run it up and check the performance flow etc but I am aiming at having this available Dec or Jan. Much will depend on the foundry once we deliver the patterns. The target price will be $650.00 USD. Trying to keep the price as low as possible. Depending on the numbers I can possibly get better pricing on the machining.
    Thanks again, please let me know if I can provide any further details
    Regards
    Peter Williamson

18. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Nice one Peter. I was hoping I could wish myself a happy xmas with one, but it looks like I may have to treat myself to a 'happy new year' present instead. Do you have a running 330 to try it on?

19. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Good question Stan, the Desoto Hemi is about as rare as rocking horse poo down here. My one is close to running machine work done with final assembly and a few extra bits needed. I am talking to a couple of guys that have runners one is and adventurer. Just got to convince him bolting a manifold on and running it on a dyno is not going to cause problems.
    The pressure is on to have the pattern detailing completed end of this week. I’m driving down to have a look Saturday and we will try for a first cast next week. Totally excited about seeing the first one out.
    Sorry about the timing for the Christmas present but will be happy to gift wrap it for you
    Cheers
    Peter

20. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Same in the UK Peter, we're not exactly tripping over them here but of course thats why they're so cool. Well good luck convincing your mate, I'm sure there would be a few on here happy to help persuade him it would be a good idea! I've found begging can work (well on the wife anyway!). Gift wrapping would be a nice touch, might take you up on that.

21. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

My first preference is to bolt it on a running car so we can dyno it plus put a few road miles on it to check drivability etc. The other option is to grab a running engine, and bolt it directly on a engine dyno. Get better figures but will not get the seat of the pants feel. Will let you know what happens

22. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Just a quick update on the manifold, took a road trip on the weekend and checked out the progress first hand. The push is on to get the first one cast this week with the finishing touches being applied now. I’m finding it hard to contain my enthusiasm so I’ll keep this brief.
    I’m very pleased with the final detail of the pattern and photos don’t do it justice. (read that as 5 hour drive without the camera) As soon as I get any more info and hopefully photos of the first one I’ll get them posted.
    Looking at the possibility of another trip to pick the manifold and the hemi up this weekend.

23. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi as promised an update on the manifold, couple of photos of the pattern as its is now finished and being delivered to the foundry today. The guy from the foundry had a look at it yesterday and thinks it will cast up nicely. As you can see the manifold is sitting in a cradle to define the join line.
    The other photo is the 3x2 top plate. Lust looking at the 2x4 to and the single 4 top now would like to have them cast so I can do the dyno runs using all three tops but that will depend on cash and time.
    I’m hopeful of having one out by the end of the week.
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

24. SanityAna

SanityAna
    from York, S.C.

Wow! looks great! I was about to give up on finding a 4bbl intake for my Desoto 330. Count me down for one as well if I can squeeze it under my FireDome's hood with an air cleaner. Should not be a problem considering the amount of room in there. Thanks for making this available to everyone!

25. dehudso

dehudso

Looks great! I'd have to measure for hood clearance on my car, but if it fits, I would sure be interested.

How long are the runners from the manifold flange at the cylinder head to the manifold plenum? What about the runner cross-section?

26. Stan

Stan
    from UK

I've just shown someone here at work the above pics Peter as I couldn't contain my excitement. His only comment was "looks like a jelly mould"!!! Damned heathens, they just don't understand do they? Anyway, pics are great, keep 'em coming.

27. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi dehudso, thanks for your interest. Without giving too much info away at this point the manifold has been designed to allow the straightest port entry as possible The runner cross section matches the stock port and widens out as it reaches the plenum. The plenum floor has been raised slightly. I have included a couple of early development photos to give you an idea on finished height and approximate runner lengths. Happy to supply more detailed info as we get closer to getting some performance figures available. I appreciate runner length is critical for performance and we have endeavoured to make the best compromise in manifold design, degree of difficulty in moulding and cost.
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

28. Way Cool!

I love it when guys work hard to create something new and needed! If you can produce it for the price you quoted, that is a good fair price. You might consider making a "blower plate" that would mount a 4-71 or 6-71 on top of it.

I like the idea of injector bosses in it. Make sure you make them big enough for either the traditional mechanical or later EFI setups. You might checkout the stuff that Kinsler makes -- they have a universal injector boss/adapter that lets you run either style. When Tom Roberts made me my cross-ram flathead manifold -- I had him machine the mid-manifold injector bosses for the Kinsler setup.

Keep us posted.

Dale

29. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Cheers Stan,
    Yeah showed some of the people in my office some of the early photos and one thought it looked like an upside down egg crate.
    Jelly mould is not a bad description, replace the jelly with sand and a setting agent or green sand and you get the same results.
    The name for the manifold has come from one of my colleges’ some one said it looked like an octopus so I settled on the name “Wheke”
    So what the heck is Wheke? Wheke is Maori for Ocopus The octopus is the greatest escape artist of the marine world. Found mostly around rocky outcrops, these night predators stalk their prey keeping a watchful eye out for something tasty to pass by.
    Maori are the early residents of New Zealand and the Maori language belongs to the Polynesian sub-family of languages.
    WH is usually pronounced as f, although the correct sound has been likened to an f but without the top teeth touching the lower lip.
    So Wheke is pronounced as “feke”
    According to legend, the Polynesian navigator Kupe was led to New Zealand by the giant octopus Te Wheke-o-Muturangi.
    Enough of that but as you will see the manifold has a small octopus logo ad the name Wheke cast in.
    Cheers
    Peter

30. Abomination

Abomination