Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 to flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve-Cook, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have not ... but Bendtsen's has a good reputation for adapters.

:D

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The 700-R4 has a fairly high parasitic HP loss. If you must use a GM auto O/D, consider the 200-4R - smaller, lighter, more than strong enough for a flatty, & won't rob quite as much power.

I've never used one of Bendtsen's adapters, but have only ever heard positive things about them.

4. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I believe that www.wilcap.com makes one. They have one of the best reputations in the business for trans to motor adapters.

I understand the overdrive, but the 700r4 will rob a significant amount of HP to make it run not to mention the weight and dimensions of the trans.

IMHO

5. I would look at a S-10 T-5 five speed manual trans instead. They really work with a flathead and don't have the HP loss. JMO.

6. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I have a Wilcap adapter for your flathead to a 700r4 or a 200r (this adapter works for both transmissions). I am not using it and would like to sel it. i purchaced it with a starter also.

PM me and I will figure out a great deal for you. I think the reciept is inn the box and I am willing to sell it for less than I paid a few years ago.

John

7. twofosho

twofosho

Although I'm in favor of the 200R4 for GM motors (same length as a turbo 350, uses the same yoke, doesn't suck as much power, yada,yada,yada), I'd go with the Ford AOD for this one. A rebuild kit, shift kit, and a fresh converter and you're done, plenty strong for a flatmotor. Someone might even make a plate to adapt the flatmotor to a C4 bell that could be used. The early 80s ones used a TV rod instead of a cable, but either should be easy to adapt.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'd go with a T-5 from an S-10, puts the shifter right where you want it. better gears

9. tjm73

tjm73

I'm onboard with this idea. I like to keep Ford engines hooked to Ford transmissions. I think the AOD would make an excellent Flathead tranny. Speedway Motors has a plate adapter for the '49-'53 engines to hook up a C4. The AOD and C4 use the same bell pattern so the only thing holding you back is the torque convertor.

Do the AOD and C4 share the same convertor to flexplate pattern? ie...does the AOD convertor bolt to a C4 flexplate?

I have confirmed with TCI that the pan filled C4 and AOD use the Ford 11-7/16" convertor pattern. This is often reffered to as the 'Ford big pattern' when talking about convertors. So the Speedway kit with an appropriate AOD convertor should work fine.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I built a 32 5 window with a Flathead and AOD for a customer several years ago. Other than the sensitive adjustment of the TV cable it worked great. I used the Speedway plate with a 302 flex plate and Speedways starter nose.

11. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

12. I too would recommend the 200-4R over the 700-R4...for the reasons stated...

13. FLAT6

FLAT6