Register now to get rid of these ads!

Once again, Why old Fords are so rare! *Warning, not for the faint of heart*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

I find this stuff fascinating !,... like watching a train wreck,.. disturbing, yet delightfully entertaining (in a sick and twisted way),.... after seeing these i won't be able to sleep tonight, why should you,...;)

Attached Files:

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

And a few more,.........

Attached Files:

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

4. I'm suprised how many were able to walk away...

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yup...back in the 50's my Dad used to take me to Gardena to go to the jalopy races (SoCal guys will remember Dick Lane, the announcer..."WHOA NELLY!)
    All afternoon we watched them crash deuce after deuce after '33, '34 coupes and sedans....
    UGH!....

6. And this was happening all over the country in the late forties and early fifties.

7. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I thought this was going to be the photos of Chevrolet burning the big piles of Fords. Supposedly if a Ford was traded in they would burn them to keep them off of the road to get the ratios more favorable.

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

That was really silly of them,... Chevrolet (aka "the Termites delight")
    would (or wood:D) always burned better then Fords !

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just think if Rustynewyorker, a frequent contributer here, had been around then. He'd still be selling junk, but it wouldn't have as much rust.:eek: :D

Frank

10. at least they were driving them. Not too many garage queens there. Nice to see they were put to good use. What could be better... dirt, jalopys and a crowd to be a saturday night hero for. I wonder if they worried about being traditional?

11. 63Compact

63Compact

So thats why Dueces are so damn expensive!

12. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I think one of those is my 5 window.....

13. sad but true, amazing photos though.

14. 2002p51

2002p51

After WWII, everybody was dumping those old '30s era cars they'd been driving throughout the war years and replacing them with shiny new ones! The junk yards and used car lots were full of old Fords and Chevys and you could get one cheap. That's part of the reason they were so popular for hot rodders, they were plentiful and cheap.

The same thing happened in the late sixties and early seventies. Fords and Chevys from the '50s were plentiful and cheap and you started seeing them on short tracks all over the country. What's a '56 Ford Crown Vic worth today?

[​IMG]

Count the '55 , '56 Fords in this photo:

[​IMG]

I'm not real sure what year this is/was but it appears to have had a Y-block in it.

[​IMG]

How about a near pristine '39 or '40 Ford? I bet it didn't stay that way for long.

[​IMG]

Lots of good cars lost to the racing Gods.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  15. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

just woke up ... and this is the first thing I looked at .... thanks ruined my day.

16. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Ain't that the truth!!

17. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Back when Men were Men...and spectators were nevous!

18. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

With all those cars being wrecked and raced you would think it would be easier to find a title for my T

19. kvisser

kvisser

Did those guys even have seatbelts? When did belts come in vogue.

ken

20. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

at least they were used and enjoyed and not subject to idol worship or worse yet, sbc's..........

21. I wonder if there are any post race inspection templates for those? I would hate to think someone was cheating being 1/8" too low!!!!

22. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

i always wish i could race my car and bang it up like that.. lean in a corner and ride someones fender or bumper.. and i would, if i could go to the local junkyard and grab a new fender, paint it and be ready to go again.. but then i'd have to come on here to find a fender.. and pay $400 plus shipping for it.. so.. I'm alittle cautious while leaning in those street corners.. only alittle..
    -Anthony

23. meangreen

meangreen

I'm afraid I'm guilty of crunching up a few '55 & '56 Chevies that way, but back in 1969 -73 you could buy a '55 or '56 Chevy or Ford for $100 and drive it home. Back then it seemed like there was an endless supply of them...

24. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I am sure that my coupe was in there, it was the one upside and beat to crap.

25. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Beat me to it..... I told my wife if something happens to me make sure my Fords don't end up in the hands of a "chevyizer".

26. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Very cool post and it fits my saturday morning.......I have been chatting with Jr. Hower from KC on Saturday mornings.........he is an ole' racer from the late 40's up until the 60's and he was the top racer from 1948 to the late 50's racing flathead V8's in the four state region while racing kids and two jobs.....heck of a nice guy with TONS of storys.

[​IMG]

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

27. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Recently one of those 5 windows turned up around here.The guy put it on Ebay and got 1400? It was really whooped.Still had the neat old bumper grill.
    Don't forget all of the neat 60's cars that have wound up in demolition derbies.:eek:
    In the early 60's I use to go to the races in West Memphis ,Ark.A class was cut down 30's coupes.The C class or "bombers" were 50's bodies.

28. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Oh yea, any idea on the track? Or where the photos are from?

Chris

29. myke

myke
    from SoCal