Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Aero-Engined Vintage Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteveLines, Nov 11, 2007.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the founder of Honda's hot rod. Used to race it in the river beds around tokyo. The engine is a Curtiss OX-1 (I think)

[​IMG]

2. I think this was the original inspiration for

DEATH RACE 2000... can't you see David Carridine in it?

[​IMG]

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Got my old brain working today :)

Remember that somewhere in this mess was an original Gurney Nutting

Napier record car design

This done for Messrs Thomson & Taylor

Sorry for the bad photo but you get the idea

I just gotta get all this junk up on the wall

Attached Files:

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yeah, hurry up and get all the stuff hung up! except that old one with the little white 2 seater that looks like it has an upside down boat stuck on it's nose. It would look much better here in california. :D

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

It's not white mine is silver packed away like so many things

This one isn't mine I lifted this off his sight

I think Fredd still has some. I got mine when there were several to choose from

He's a really good guy and does wonderful stuff.

here's his website....... look at all-0-it

http://www.fredd-kustom.com/fr/home.php

Attached Files:

6. A4ord

A4ord

If you want to read all about big engines/small cars get Brooklands Giants by Bill Boddy,isbn 1 84425 315 5,has heaps of aero engined and big motored cars.E.G. 300hp Fiat,28.4 ltr ohc 4valve engine, 4cylinder built for an airship in 1910.Eventually timed at 132.37mph in 1913.Last heard of in Mexico during the 1920's.The Napier-Railton was used to test the first aircraft tail parachutes in the early '50's. There is so many of these cars still around to see,it amazing they survived the punishment they received.Keep on roddin'.

7. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

A few more cool images: -

Duncan Pittaway in his OX-5 powered GN

[​IMG]

Mark Walker in his twin cylinder powered GN

[​IMG]

(Images by www.edgephotographic.co.uk)

Outback likes this.
  8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Those are gorgeous, which is amazing considering how busy they are. Funny how those look good but I can't stand Moal creations. Maybe if he painted more stuff black instead of polishing it, he could capture that look.

-Dave

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is some AMAZING things in this thread!! WOW!! Trully inspirational!!

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

PERSPIRATIONAL!!! :eek:

11. Blackie

Blackie

I think i saw the one in the top image in a magazine once... Check out the crash - only a broken collarbone according to the post - lucky!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LATwSlHdiPY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LATwSlHdiPY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I must say hats off to the two driver that stopped and added aid at the right moment...... could have been worse........... MUCH WORSE!!

13. kvisser

kvisser

That is some scary stuff to be doing without any real roll bars. Do they even wear seat belts? He flopped right out of that car. Lucky dude not to be paralyzed.

Those guys are hanging hanging their tails out on those turns! It must be fun, dancing on the knife's edge.

wow

ken

14. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Biscuit, that photo of Soichiro is awesome.

Old photo of an older boat with an even older engine. George Johnson, RIP.

[​IMG]

Cris

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Bluto,

would the ass out handling be associated with the narrow rear track and solid rear drives (don't GN's lack a diff?) cause those rear ends slide something fierce. Also you wouldn't happen to have a picture or diagram of the drive set up on one would you. I think it would be something everyone would get a kick out of.

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

another crazy guy from over there was the founder of Arai used to ride his harley by standing on the handle bars amongst other tricks.

17. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Backin' into the turn is more a result of tires than anything else

There are some wonderful movies of the Auto Unions sideways thru the streets of Monaco .......... in one shot a car hops the curb.

I gotta think that was a moment for the car's driver

Remember too these cars really had no brakes.Sideways = slowdown. I drove an 30's two man Indy car several times road racing. Turn workers would run and hide till I'd gone by 'em sideways several laps.

In the case of the GN....... the driver should have let it go instead of correcting but it's really hard to keep your foot in it when everything is turning to shit. It's really easy to say and see without being in the middle of the moment

19. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Bluto..Hi!, the GN's were originally a Cylce car,the bare basic motor car for the masses powered by v twin and driven with a belt...!
    because of the light weight and negligible value they were seriously popular as the basis for specials and I am sure none had any sort of diff,you steer with the throttle not the steering wheel. Once you're sliding it's pretty easy to keep the slide going exactly where you want by giving it a'boot full' .
    If you spent a A day at Prescott would see all manner of specials absolutely flogged up the hill .I'd never realised a Austin 7 could be made to scream like a two stroke motorbike...LOL!.
    I've never driven a GN but i've had a good go in a Frazer Nash with chain drive and the driving technique is the same,approach the corner turn in hard to get the back stepping out ,with out lifting off and let it drift through the turn while carefuly turning into the slide to keep a hand on it...
    today they have slower version called Drifting.:D

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it just seemed to be a common occurence with GN's. Or maybe the guys all just like hangin the arse end nice and wide.

21. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

I thought you guys might like to see the latest aero engined racer to emerge in the UK.

It is called the "Amilcar Hispano" and has a 1916 Hispano Suiza V8 aeroplane engine mounted in a 1930 French Amilcar chassis frame. Drive to the rear axle is by chains. Only two speeds are needed because of the immense torque the engine puts out.

You wouldn't believe how quick this is!

[​IMG]

Outback likes this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pretty cool Steve, sitting behind all that noise at speed would be a hoot-Jim

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... How in the hell did I miss this thread!!?!?!?!?!?!

Outback likes this.
  24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a damn good question man! :rolleyes::D

25. Because the thread was pre-op?

26. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That thing looks MEAN!

27. bruce hylton

bruce hylton
    from toledo wa

Reminds me of some cartoons I saw as a kid.

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

like so many others you were probably thinking of dueces and red wheels instead of true perversion. :D

Outback likes this.
  29. noboD

noboD

You guys just keep picking at scabs all the time don't you? These things are wicked and I don't have one.