Register now to get rid of these ads!

KCTA -[Kansas City timing Assc.]

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Ray Erickson, Nov 11, 2007.

?
  1. give short opinion

33.3%
  2. or yes or no

66.7%
  1. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Ray Erickson here. I thought just for the record I would write my memory of the history of the KCTA here in K.C.,Mo. I might be off a little on dates or something ,but here goes----In 1952 the KCTA was a small hot rod club of enthusiasts in the Kansas City area.We contacted a lawyer & got K.C.T.A. name incorporated. Then held drag races at an old "World War 2 " emergency air field- This was a very large airstrip complex. We[the club] rented the the strip from the "Chamber of Commerce" in Edna,Kansas for $35.00 a month.-----------We held officially sanctioned & insured Drag Races , with classes of cars & saftey inspections.All sanctioned through "NHRA" the National Hot Rod Assc. --------We even held a " 4 State Regional Championship Meet." -----------------------------------------------------In 1955 Kansas city had a problem[as did many other American Citys]drag racing on the street!!!Obviously very dangerous.....At this time our club had the yearly elections & I was elected President of KCTA[then still just a club of about a dozen members[not including wifes & girl friends in the count]--------------------The K.C.Police Dept. had an official named Major Eugene Pond [CHIEF OF DETECTIVES]-- Who asked for a meeting at" Masonic Temple" at Linwood & Paseo in K.C.,Mo. to all interested partys & car enthusiasts to attend to discuss to the street racing problem .He said we needed proper clubs and One association of same clubs to deal with Police---Our club informed Major Pond that our Club was already incorporated & actually had the perfect name of "KANSAS CITY TIMING ASSOCIATION"- Which we gave our name & incorporation to the program.------WE then voted on proposed names for our club- Which became "THE CRANKTWISTERS"----Major Pond got "K.C. Southern Railway" to lease property to build a dragstrip on Front Street near the River. He then got "Midwest Precote"to build the drag strip. ---This was to be paid off from gate receipts collected from spectators at races.--At that time I was elected by vote of association club officers. to be Pres. & I was also Pres. of "Cranktwisters"-- things were kind of busy----Along with Major Pond signed a note for $60,000 to build the drag strip. -------In 1956 NHRA wanted to hold official "National Drag Races" In K.C. at our new strip.---However they wanted strip longer & wider . So-- Major Pond & I signed another note for $10,000 for improvements. The 1956 National drags were held very sucessfully with huge crowds.-------------In 1957 I declined renomination as Family & work were pressing me for time.---Many people for a number of years remember the old strip & good times. then & now.[​IMG]
    ------------ RAY here---"NEW MESSAGE"------[ STORY] --POSTED Wednesday,April 9th-----
    Here is a picture of an accident that happened at KCTA drag strip--This guy came from Texas as I recall,-. His 34 Ford coupe did not have any roll bar gussets . My top guy -DON WILSON was in charge of "Safety Inspection" & he told the guy we were running NHRA rules & insurance --so he couldn't run until he had gussets install,,preferably 2/3 rd's up the roll bar... He was furious & cussed everyone out & said this was 'bull shit"--he ran back in Texas without any problem-- --So anyway he went to town ,found a shop & had braces welding in--Nuf said there--He came back, passed inspection, AND GUESS WHAT????? HIS FIRST RUN - He clocked 104 MPH,, right front tire BLEW just past the end of timing light [traps] --He careened off the strip to the right.--His 34 rolled repeatedly ,ended up setting upright on wheels-- the 34Body was scattered-- & HE WAS NOT SERIOUSLY INJURED-- Afterwords he came back to Safety committee and apologized and said he appreciated those guys saving his life--?????????????HOW DOES ONE MOVE THIS ARTICLE TO MAIN BOARD--{MAIN PAGE}???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Attached Files:

2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

welcome ray from another MO fellar!:)

3. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

4. Thanks for sharing the history. Any pictures?

5. TAXMAN

TAXMAN

Hi, Ray. Good to hear from ;you. You may remember me from Larry Bouldin and I reporting for Drag News in the "old days". Not too man;y of the old timers left. I'm not too good at navigating these "chat rooms" My e-mail is [email protected] if you want to reach me.

Don Elliott (Taxman)

6. GH

GH

Me and a friend went to US Trade School for auto mechanics in the fall of 1959 and winter and spring of 1960. We went to school until midnight, then we would go over in Kansas and drink beer, then we would go to North Kansas City to the drag strip, it was wide open, run anything ,anybody, 2, 3 or 4 cars at a time. My friend had a 1950 Chevrolet hard top with a Corvette 6 cylinder with the 3 side draft carbs. It sure was a blast. He could beat the Fords, Pontiacs, but not the V8 Chevvys.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Welcome to the HAMB Ray........I need to tape/write down your story's from every time that I meet you.

Chris Nelson

Oh yea, keep that "Nash" ah rolling......when ever I go to a car event and see the Nash I smile.

9. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Welcome aboard. Please share any photos you have.

10. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

So glag your on the HAMB now. There was so much history in this area and need original legends to tell us how it was and keep us inspired. Thanks so much for joining.

Chris

11. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

My rod is a chopped & channeled 1950 Packard 4 Dr. --Black with flames------------------Here is a pic of Packard when I bought it from a used car lot for $100-in 1987

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  12. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Welcome to the HAMB Ray. Got any pics of your Packard?

13. TBell

TBell

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Periods are your friends.:D

Welcome to the HAMB. Nice insight, thanks for sharing.

15. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

Way cool to hear about local history.

is the KCTA still around?

16. welcome to the H.A.M.B. fella..

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Welcome. My uncles remember the old drag strip. I'll see if they can tell me some stories.

-David

18. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Ray,
    Small world Dept. I went to school (Univ. of Mo. at Columbia) in '53 and met Larry Croswhite who was one of the early members of KCTA in those years. He drove a primer '41 convert and we became good friends along with some local Columbia, Mo. Hot Rodders. He bought a full race flathead from Bob Taylor back then that I wound up with years later. We all caravaned with about five cars from Columbia and attended the '56 Nationals there. Also wound up with a reprint copy of something called "The Kansas City Timing Assn. Guide" for 1956 which lists all the clubs in the area back then. I think I got it from a guy named John Povenmire at the Springfield, Mo. NSRA show a few years ago.
    Welcome aboard

19. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Cool story, welcome from Ky.

20. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Radical Ray Erickson here. Its a 1950 Packard. Its been called Hudson, Mercury, & Nash. Apreciate getting a response to my entry.

Attached Files:

21. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

I haven't figured out how to attach pic's on the hamb. yet --- the KCTA is long gone. I think it died in the late 60's

SINCE I WROTE THIS , IV'E HAD A LITTLE BIT OF LUCK DOWNSIZING SOME OF THE PICTURES -HAVEN'T QUITE FIGURED IT OUT YET.--

22. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Bob Taylor was in Our club.,Which was the KCTA. -Back then he had a "crotch high" 32 roadster. A deep stepped frame with that flathead in it. He died many years ago from a brain tumor. Speaking of John Povenmire, I pulled a silcione rubber mold off my original KCTA plague which I engraved Back in 1954 He then made a bunch of KCTA plaques & sold.-I have the original on my Packard .---"Radical Ray Erickson"- Pres. of KCTA [back then]---Bob Taylor was" Vice President' of K CTA back then...

23. pecker head

pecker head

word from Corsicana Texas !

24. Bumperdrager

Bumperdrager

Hey Friends : Hello from Mid-Western NY We have a Small town Drag strip that has gone by a few names over the past 50 yrs at one time was a 1/4 mile Dragstrip called South Butler Dragstrip and I even think it was once Called Jacksons for the Man who installed the East coast timing associations and even WARRICKS Dragstrip It's actually out in some Corn field. anyway it went from a 1/4 mile to 1/8th because of a Dragster that didn't shut down and ended up in the Mud down to todays 1/10th where We have some pretty decent Old Gasser's and a few 572s that show up just to show OFF there cash Heavy high cost Operation with Crew of Like shirted proffesionals in Tow . But the big supprise came when I realized by total accident that We purchased this Old Hobby farm exactly 1hr and 10 minutes away from 4 Sanctioned Drag Strips That is to Me what A Topless Exotic Dancers Lounge is to a Lounge Lizard {type Guy} I couldn't have asked for More Unless of course the Topless Lounge was at the Drag strip !!!!! LOL LOL LOL NO just kidding folks please tell My wife I was just foolin . ...:cool:

25. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

quote=Prop Strike;2578389]Welcome to the HAMB Ray. Got any pics of your Packard?
    This is my 3"chopped 52 Ford coupe in the "pit area "during the "1956 NHRA Nationals "here on front street in K.C.,MO . --The 34 cabriolet Was channeled in this pic., But previously highboy before .

This is me leaving for work during winter on My "Royal Enfield" Motorcycle in 1
    947--I didn't have car yet!!
    ************Here is my 34 right after I channeled it

Attached Files:

26. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Attached Files:

27. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

This is a pic of my 1950 Packard ---" Radical Ray Erickson" here I have tried to attach more pictures, But site won't accept download. I guess I am using more than allowed space.

Attached Files:

28. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Ray is a great guy, you should see some of the stuff he has done. I'm fortunate to be able to say that we're in the Misfits Midwest car club together.

29. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Ray, email the pix to me and I will post them for you.

nelsonspeedway at gmail dot com

Just fill in the at with @ and the dot with .

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

30. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

I sent pics by e-mail- Radical Ray Erickson.Sunday ,March 16th at 12.00 PM

[

/SIZE]