Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Find! Original Northeast '55 Gasser!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Picked this up at the CSRA swap meet last Sunday. It's 100% original right out of a barn as raced in the late '60s/early '70s called "Locomotion". It runs a set-back 1965 or '66 331ci 327, Olds rear and a glass trunklid. Plexiglass all the way around, even front and back, and the rear half of the frame is full of lightening holes. Surprisingly, the frame and floors are mint, and the body doesnt need much. The pics dont show it but the back half of the car was originally some kind of heavy metal flake silver or white. After some digging it seems like the car was probably originally built earlier, with the engine in the standard position, and was purple with white pinstriping everywhere. Raced out of Rhode Island and at Connecticut Dragway. Anyone remember it? I'm going to preserve as much as I can but the big question is should I keep it as a trailered all-out competition car or try to get it on the street??
    -Dean

Attached Files:

2. Retro61

Retro61

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Street!!!!
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

Holy cow!!! and street!:eek:

4. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Street legal,all out drag car.

5. chad

chad

Exactly what I was thinking

6. Jimv

Jimv

I know that in the 60's "Eastchester" chevolet use to run a 62 409 called 'locomotion" It might have been one of theres.They used that name alot.I think they mostly ran out of dover & east hampton.I think it was the laganias, not sure
    jimv

7. best of both worlds , street , strip..

8. Conder

Conder

Lucky Lucky Lucky!!!!

9. Dirty2

Dirty2

Too cool !!!! Great find..

10. 31whitey

31whitey

no way man.
    i love it
    this is really cool.

11. Looking forward to seeing that one around town(Salem, CT)

12. coop31

coop31

Killer find, make the best of it!

13. Terry

Terry

Definitly street/strip car! Very very cool!

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Very cool! And broke to lead, not bad

15. Darby

Darby

If you decide to make it street legal, at least keep racing it. Building a race car to only look cool at cruise night is lame. You obviously care about its race history, so you're probably already planning on taking her to the track.

Nice score!

16. tattfrog

tattfrog

very cool I dig gassers.

17. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

that`s cool ! I would keep that one for the drag strip.

18. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

street strip!! cool car .i saw it at the swap meet i liked it a lot.

19. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I saw it at the swap also, it's cool you picked it up Dean.
    Any plans for it yet, Epping in the spring maybe???
    Keep us posted.

20. Thanks guys! I'm working on pop's '57 H/Stock Chevy this winter but meanwhile I'll be collecting parts for this so once its warm out again I can bust this out in just a couple months or so. It really only needs a trans plugged in, brakes, new leaf springs, tires/rear wheels, and clean it up! The mill should run. I'm going to have the lettering touched up too so it's more legible. Maybe I can make the CT Dragway reunion in June?? I do want to drag it though regardless.
    -Dean

21. I'm with casey, flat tow it to the strip and then flat tow it to lame ass cruises.
    my 'Ol Buddy Bob Porter owned the famous (not at the time) Doyle Gammel 32 Ford with a L-88 aluminum head 427 and used it to flat tow the Semi Famous (at the time) 2 year old Mickey Thompson's A/FX Pontiac Tempest. that Bob moved the front and rear wheels forward added a straight axle.it was one of the very first Funny Cars, that's how the name Funny Car started. late model cars with altered wheel base and jacked to the moon. Looked FUNNY and some California dragstrip anouncer coined the phrase and it stuck. it was way cool (then and now) to flat tow a Newer Race Car with an Older Hot Rod.
    I wish I hadn't traded my camera for a case of beer (or something I forget the 60's and am not to sure of the 70's) or I'd have photo's of all the stuff on the Southern California streets

22. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

that is a race car, and should remain a race car, but by all means restore it to its heyday look. too many 55s that can be street cars to loose another racer, .....great score , congrats.........

23. Larry T

Larry T

RACECAR!!!! Anything else would be compromising the car as you bought it. No backing up! If you want a street car, swap it for one.
    Larry T

24. You lucky son of a bitch!!

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Your car. Do what you want. Either way, it's too cool, cool, daddyo.....

26. Hard Penile!!! STREET, in Race form

27. vintage drag it!

28. scrape

scrape

leave it a full out drag car....
    just drive it on the street once in a while......

btw can you send me some more pics of it.....
    the ones you posted are kinda small.....
    and id like to see pics of the engine compartment.....
    [email protected]

29. As long as you use it in some form it will be perfect. I mean drive the son of a bitch! Where or how doesnt matter! Just keep it out of the garage or off the trailer.:cool:

30. Sticher1

Sticher1
    from Ct

Hey Dean also looked that one over cool piece of history need's to be street/strip good luck