Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Camaro Clip in your 58 chevy-in one day!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LUX BLUE, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

2 tips for this...
    #1- speed makes a "universal lower leaf spring perch" that works great for this application- and they are CHEAP!
    part numbers 917-20249-lh (and the same number ending in rh)
    they are 19.95 each. these allow the use of a more modern shock in the rear. for the axle itself, we used the speedway weld on spring pads-p.n. 545-85090. 12.95 a pair.
    the pin on the leaf is gonna be a different size than the hole in the middle of the pads- but fear not! you can get thesoe at Autozone, Napa, whereever...and a grade 8 allen head bolt (5/16-whatever thread/41/2 inches long) works peachy.

once you have that tackled, and the rear end is located (are you using the stock rear, or the one from the camaro? they both fit nice, and the 10 bolt camaro rear may be a bit fresher...mabey) you can then relocate the shocks to the outside of the frame using the original shock upper mounts. (they are a bitch to remove without an air hammer of substantial strength) and do your c-notch. ( I used 3.5 inch tubing for this. 1/4 wall. ) and boxed it from crossmember to crossmember with 3/16th plate. (no need for overkill there, unless you're running a gooseneck trailer-which I kinda doubt.)

crap. I just realized I forgot to show how to mount the bumper up front.
    More Monday!

2. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

it's just like pulling your own teeth. the first one is a learning experience, after that, you will never forget the process...:D

3. Dave K

Dave K

I have a drop axle in my truck but this is looking better and better. Did I read that you using a non-boosted master cylinder?
    Can I just use my original master with the front disks? Thanks for the great tread.

4. My buddy Steve did his '56 EXACTLY that way back in 1989... I later traded a Nova for the truck, built it to this stage and DROVE IT. He boxed the frame though... and finished it off nice... he is a welder by trade.

It handled good, stopped good... and rode nice.

If I wanted to do one on the cheap... I'd do it just like he did it.

Different options are for different people... as soon as people stop arguing about it, a whole 'nuther world of enlightenment will open up to them.

Sam.

BTW, Anyone know where this truck is? I sold it to a guy down in LA named Ray Estemendi (sp?) I'd love to track it down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hotrodsbyray

hotrodsbyray
    from Tennessee

lux blue, a few pages ago you said you had less than $500 in clip, brakes, suspension. i am starting my clip this week. where did you buy your suspension and brake parts? i want to replace the wear-outables and i like the idea of cheap stuff that works good! if you order from some of these local places or speed shops you can get into several times $500 to redo a front end. i am using an 81 trans am subframe.
    thanks for any help or suggestions - this thread is great.

6. Okay. First, I'm jealous as hell that you tig cast iron. I've never even thought of it. Do you use a cast rod, or a high nickel content filler rod?

Second, I've liked the frame clip how to so well, that I'm looking forward to the exhaust.

Third...
    It's like Aunt Ma told me: "you're just asking for trouble if you date outside the family." You heard of a family tree? Well, I got a family wreath.

Fourth, I'm still waiting on the exhaust.

-bill

7. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

so what, exactly, is "level" with the clip? (with respect to caster)

the frame rails of my 2nd gen have been bent over the years so i cant go by them. there's not a flat spot anywhere. should i go by the motor mounts? or should i just be sure to keep a positive caster with the spindles before welding it to the truck frame?

8. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

9. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

10. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Awwww Crap!
    I forgot the Exhaust!

filler for tigging the Cast- I used peices of the original peice. yes, they got very hot while I was holding them...it was the only way I could think of to make sure I didn't have a problem with dissimalar metals.

O.B.K.B....
    Exhaust...gimmie a minnit.

11. flyinv55

flyinv55

Thanks for this awesome thread. I have a '57 3100 that I have been wanting to put a camaro clip in for a couple years now. I bought a "how-to" video and have watched it several times, and now with the help from this thread I feel confident enough to do it. My cab is off the frame and today I popped all the rivets out, next step is the "chunk-o-pipe". Thanks again Lux Blue and everyone else who have contributed to this thread.

12. flyinv55

flyinv55

Jeeeeze, did I kill this thread or what? I was hoping this thread would continue with more pics and ppls experiences.:confused:

13. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

With the notch do you basically mark it out on the frame, cut the frame, weld in the notch, box the frame?

I have the bed off of the truck right now so there is not a lot of weight back there. My concern is when you cut out the part of the frame for the notch like you did do things move around back there at all from the frame missing a good chunk of metal?

14. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

bump for the notch question...thanks!

15. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Yep...make sure you mark the notch centered up with the axle.
    (Meaning get some weight on it.)

Oh Yeah!
    Here it is Ken!

16. Dateline: March 13, 2007...
    I don't know if you can see it from here, but I'm beginning to pout. Been waitin' half a year... but won't whine - might get edited out.

-bill

17. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

i came up on a new aftermarket frame for my truck so i am selling my old frame that i clipped with a camaro clip in great shape, its boxed with a flipped rear. with brakes and a 10 bolt what should i ask for it to sell it?

i have an idea in my head but i am curious on what everyone else thinks

18. bigeasy

bigeasy

Liked the work and thanks for the article. It gave me more insight about different front ends.

What would you think of a Corvette clip over the Camaro for the truck? Several folks have frowned on using a Mustang II for a heavier truck like my 46 Chevy Panel Van...

19. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

The vette clip is wiiiiiide.

but if you have one (meaning you aren't gonna go out and buy one)
    I would be real interested in seeing that one come together.

The F-body clip is extremely simple in one of these. The vette would probably gain you even tighter ground clearance, and vastly superior handling.

20. hi thanks for the great post! This helped me out a lot.

A few things I found in doing this on my 58 was 2 inches was a bit far to add to the length and I wanted the ride height a bit lower.

Here it is with 2 inches added with clip under the apache rails also has dummy engine installed:

[​IMG]

here is it fit under :
    [​IMG]

so, I moved it into the apache frame rail and took out 3/4 inch of the overall length:

[​IMG]

and basically how it looks now before having engine installed, so ride height will be lower :)

[​IMG]

I think I will need to tunnel the floor a bit for the transmission...

--Vince

21. btmatt

btmatt

Man, dude, you are going to be LOWWWW.

22. I am not really into the sub-frame thing, and man I have seen a lot of hack jobs out there. This is a real nice job though. I wish everyone would check out this thread before they try this.

23. zgears

zgears

Bitchin' Camaro !

24. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

always remember to save the old front axle for that gasser project!
    Great tech. I have seen a few of these done right, and they look soo good low....

25. guiseart

guiseart

click
    click
    subscribe
    ... good thread.

26. hammerdog57

hammerdog57
    from kansas

I have a 55 shortbox big window pickup that i am going to do the camaro clip among other things to. I have a question. With clip welded to bottom of truck frame how much tire to fender scub has anyone encountered? From pics in thread it looks that it might be a problem.

27. hotrodsbyray

hotrodsbyray
    from Tennessee

57 short stepside. with the original axle the centerline of my wheel was about 1 1/2 inches behind the middle of the wheel opening in the fender. i used advice from several web sites, including this one, about the centerline of my 81 trans am clip being the shock absorber holes. the clip i got was completely apart so i could not get measurements off the clip.
    now i happen to be almost OCD about measurements!! i decided to move the clip only 1 1/4 inches forward to line up the wheel in the fender opening
    WELLLLLL ... when i got it all welded up and slipped the fenders back on, guess what - the tire now is in front of the forward lip of the fender and the centerline of my wheel is about 1 and 1/4 inches or so in front of the center of the fender opening. :eek:
    be forwarned - i think things may be a little different with the 57 than the 58-59 maybe or the shock opening is not the centerline of the clip. i just dont know.
    SOOO ... anybody got any ideas? i have considered doing a section kinda cut and moving the fender opening forward around the wheel. also though about just stretching the front leading edge of the fender forward. also thought about grafting the 58-59 front leading edge on to help hide the boo boo.
    no pics yet but will post them as i figure out what to do.
    any help ... any body?

28. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

none.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and here goes another one...

[​IMG]

customer's '59... '79 Trans Am clip, $150 already out of the car... almost ready for welding...

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread, I've run two rigs with subframes. The 48 and My old 51 Merc.

I probably wouldn't do it again on the 48 but the rear steer 1st generation subframe is a natural for the 49/51 Mercs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.