Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is an ideal family hauler? pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BEBO, Nov 6, 2007.

1. GlenC

GlenC

My daily driver is 'only' 30 years old, so it doesn't qualify for HAMB material, but it's different, it's utterly reliiable, (hasn't broken down once in over 3 years of daily use,) and most importantly I love to drive it!

I've done the obvious things to it that you'd do to any old car to ensure its reliablity, especially electronic ingnition and rebuilt carbies, plus uprated suspension but that's mainly for handling. and yes, I've installed the dreaded air conditioning too.

Older cars are much heavier grade steel than newer ones, and have 'real' bumber bars too. Laminated windscreens, seatbelts, air con, power assisted disc brakes etc are easy enough to fit, so if you want an older daily driver or family carrier, why not? Just do the reliablity mods and get it serviced by an 'old time' mechanic on a regular basis if you can't do it yourself and you'll be fine.

Cheers, Glen.

2. Nik

Nik

I think the reason my wife doesn't give a crap what I bring home to work on or drive is because she can get in her nice new car and not worry about anything. I tried the old car for the wife a couple of times, but I changed my tune.With her driving my kids around, I'd much rather have them bouncing their head off an airbag instead of a metal dash in the event of a wreck. Call me a poser, but if something breaks down I can handle it, there is no reason for them to have to.

Nik

3. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

My wife LOVES her 2000 Xterra... but we have 1 more on the way and 3 kids won't fit.

Off to the Mini-Van store. ho hum.

- Joe

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

In the summer we love our 53 chevy more door. and I am currently working on a 28 Tudor Mod. A we have a child too and have to think about having enough seats for every one.

shame less plug..I have a beautiful 96 Roadmaster with the LT1 and all the options very clean and low mileage also pumped up the lt1 and it gets 26 MPG on the e-way..travel in luxury and not break the bank..will sell it!

6. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Holy crap that superbee wagon is the cats ass.

7. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

My brother bought a beige minivan, and then everything else in his life went beige too...the minivan ate his soul.

I understand the value of safety, having been bashed about in a new car (not my fault) and an old car (not my fault either) and coming out much less bruised in the new car.

That being said, if I were a mum, I would drive a new-ish station wagon. But a fun one. Or if a minivan were the absolute car of choice, the Mazda psuedo-minivan Mazada5 is actually quite nice and doesn't really look like a minivan. Mazda is at least owned by a domestic company...

Unfortunately, most of the nicest wagons are imports...so...choose your poison. (I've never heard anything negative about older 3-series bimmers.)

8. rusty48

rusty48

I've had 3 Caravans 2 of them were new,spent more on them damn things than all the old cars I've ever owned,but my wife won't drive nothing else.I'd rather have a full size American car or wagon,if you ever have a crash you'll be glad to trade the gas mileage for some metal around you.

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

AMEN!

My wife & boy are in the biggest newest vehicle I can afford right now. In July, they were rear-ended by a dump truck! Thankfully, they were in a 4x4 Durango - the boy was unhurt & my wife had a bit of whiplash (she saw it coming & tensed up). They're now in a Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 (we live in the mountains - already had our first snow). I also put the best tires I can on her car.

As much as I'd love to see her cruising around in a big '50s boat, it just doesn't quite meet the safety standard of a newer car.

And while I've only had to walk 3/4 mile once with my '40 (which is my primary daily), I wouldn't want them to have to do it!

10. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

This is my hauler........and my wife loves it!

Attached Files:

11. Abomb

Abomb

I'm guessing that you don't have any kids or a wife that you actually like. I wouldn't call older cars a deathtrap for kids, but they certainly aren't as safe as a modern vehicle in an accident. Airbags, collaspable columns, and crush zones are actually handy things to have should the worst happen.

12. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Driving a vintage car or truck as a daily somewhat takes the fun out of it. I drive my F-100 a lot, but sometimes I take a break from it and drive my S-10. I get excited about it all over again when I get it back out. I too would rather have my family in something new especially if there were kids involved. My wife just got an '07 Altima, and I actually look forward to taking it on trips. Everything works!

13. warren1328

warren1328

Forgive me for charging in with my 2 cents.
    Seems to me the human body is a lot better at bouncing off things than being crushed. All the airbags in the world aren't going to help much when the shell caves in. Yes I know "crumple zones" etc but just have a look how these things fly to pieces in a real-world accident rather than a controlled impact test.
    My daily is a 65 Falcon wagon & my wife loves it. Would much rather she walked away with a busted nose than the alternative........

14. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Well you're right. I'm only 23 so what do I know. No kids and no wife(a soon to be though) not that it makes a difference in the validity of my opinion. But based on my experience older cars are just as safe. I've been in one accident and it wasn't my fault. One in an old car. In the old car incident, the old car came out with a banged up fender. The other two cars looked like they slid into a telephone pole. Nobody got injured that I was aware of. I was the passenger so I couldn't tell you, but everyone walked away with no visible bruises. A new car incident left my best friend with a broken foot and the other driver with a broken shoulder. I was behind him so I wasn't directly involved. Not trying to argue about, just saying that it's different for different people. So lets just agree to disagree.

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I gotta say I get that same thrill/excitement everytime I step in the car. Be it going to the grocery store or driving across the state. Like I said before it's different for different folks.

15. str8axleford

str8axleford

Just looking back.... Our family hauler always was a full size van.. my dads was a cargo, and when my parents and I would go out, I would sit in a lawn chair in between the seats just behind them... either that or sit on the wheel well in the back... My dad would cut corners and laugh as me and my friends would roll around in the back... explain that one to a cop today... good luck!

16. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Today, they'd try to make that into some sort of child abuse charge. :rolleyes:

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Gosh, all this pragmatism is killing me.

I want a '60s Country Squire with a turbodiesel! Preferably hauling a vintage aluminum trailer to points yonder.

[​IMG]

-Dave

18. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

how odd...i'm just building one of these now for that very purpose. it was my wife's 40th b-day present (i'm lucky, wife loves old cars) and it happens to be a 62 falcon wagon. she didn't want to spend 15K for a used camry that she hated and parts that are expensive. we are building a cross country cruiser with comfort and drivability. didn't wan't the fuel log 6 so went for a '95 aussie I6 crossflow (now with 4bbl) and O.D. trans. rack and pinion steering, good brakes and you're there. bag it for a smooth ride and adjustability, and get attitude for free.

19. JamesG

JamesG

Seats a bunch and low enough for the kiddos to get in.

[​IMG]

20. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

We need airbags and seatbelts to stay alive? How did most of us make it this far in life?

Get a '61-63 Lincoln Continental for a family car.

21. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

I live in Tokyo, the home of bland, beige, 'safe' and soul-suckingly boring.
    At Tokyo Motor Show last week, I was the only one who stopped to laugh at the BEIGE Ferrari on display!

I teach English to the numnutz that design these Japanese shitboxes(forgive me). And they AINT no smarter than any American.
    How do vthey get to work???????? BY TRAIN

Leading cause of death here.............SUICIDE

A guy in my part of town died in the main street yesterday after being hit by a jumper:eek:

As for wife transport, look at my avitar........dya think I painted it that color for MYSELF???????? and lightweight 6 cylinder column autos can seat 6!!!!!! and in Australia, we pay $1.50 a LITRE....about 5 bux a gallon?????

btw.......anyone here actually NEEDED that airbag yet????? Just asking:)

22. fiveofeen

fiveofeen

I dont even have a wife or kids but I'd be worried my toys wouldnt get my time if I had to be wrenchin on a kickass kid hauler for her.

23. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

just thought i'd mention... everyone elses crumple zones benefit you, even if your in an old car. it protects your old car as well. a compressing toyota slows my rate of deceleration.

24. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

if you care enough about the well-being of your family...a newer vehicle is the way to go....sure an old car has big steel bumpers,thick metal in the body,and usually a full frame....but guess what happens when you do get hit by anything faster then a low-speed impact.....your body is what gives....not the car!!!

25. Brandi

Brandi

GREAT point.

My friend just built this for his wife and their kid. 1950 Plymouth Suburban.

Attached Files:

26. warren1328

warren1328

Hadn't thought of it that way......
    Reminds me.
    When I was an apprentice, was leaving the Ford plant carpark in my mates on 70's Kingswood when we got hit in the arse by a guy in a brand new Japper (1990). Got out for a look at the 2 inch scratch on his bumper, the japper had to be towed away with the resulting traffic jam at the carpark entrance causing no end of grief. Will always be a happy memory :)

27. for me it turned out to be an hhr. great car. 30 mpg, air bags, anti-lock brakes, power windows and locks, cd player ect. great warranty. i hammered the salesman pretty hard and got it brand new for $16,000. couldn't be happier with it.

Attached Files:

28. my 68 has all the comforts and the gas mileage aint bad if you keep your foot out of it..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lotsa space to stash the kiddies

29. i understand your point and don't totally disagree, but, when it comes to my child either "living" through an accident or walking away with out a scratch. i'll take the air bags. cool be damned.

30. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

My wife rolls around in a volvo 850 wagon , she just loves it. my daily commuter is a 98 windstar ,v6 power everthing, 20+mpg . I just tinted ALL the windows really dark so I'm undercover... but damn it's comfy in here... and the A.C. works:D