Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sacramento VIN Verification Service?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pjones, Nov 5, 2007.

1. pjones

pjones

Sorry HAMBERS, but Sacramento is not Kansas or Texas...And it isn't So-Cal or San Jose for that matter...I think I have read every single thread regarding Title's and VIN verification and a bunch of it doesn't apply.......I need the entire HAMB for almost everything but right now I need local advice...I hope all you HAMBERS get it....I have tried AAA like So-Cal guys are doing, etc. but it isn't cutting it....Maybe it's just 11/07 and that's what I get for not titleing this thing a while ago...Pre Boyd C'Head....

The car is an intact 31 Tudor, and shouldn't be a problem at all....But it isn't in the DMV system anymore.....I just dont' want to get Blue tagged.....

1) Anyone "LOCALLY" know of a mobile VIN Verification service?

2) Does that work right now (again locals only..sorry) or do I have to go to CHP???? Godspeed was able to use a registration service not to long ago, but it was out of the imediate area....

3) Who knows the acid lift trick for numbers???? I know what to do, I'm just not sure what the CHP is using....50% hydorchloric acid (muratic acid)???? I had a CB750 with no numbers on the case (fresh case) and I went to CHP in 2000....I can't remember what they did to try and find the numbers, of course nothing happened when they did it.....If the numbers are clearly visible would they even try and find another set???? I just thought I should make sure I don't have a second set of numbers (or even the same numbers ) that have benn rusted/rubbed out by the welting....

Thansk Everyone....Even those that can't speak for locall happenings...

2. RF

RF

Do you know any local police officers? If so, go to DMV (that shouldn't be a problem seeing their "fortress" is based in Sac) and grab a VIN Verification Form for him to fill out. DMV can also perform verifications, but that should only be your last option--and "after" you've located a good set of numbers. Your best luck is with a friendly peace officer, as he won't be as concerned with incidentals like DMV and/or CHP will. I'm not familiar with any titling services up north, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Google turned a thing or two up for you.

3. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

try this number, 530-269-1752. it comes from an ad in the cruisin news and they deal with vehicle registration problems. they are a licensed vin and registration service meaning they do all of the work. no dmv lines or paperwork, sweet!

4. brewsir

brewsir

Damn I just call the local cops and they send someone over..I pull the vin verification sheet from Ca DMV website so I don't even have to leave my house! ....I'm an hour away from you so maybe that isn't local enough?

5. can't triple A run that info in california? what is blue tagged? is that similar to a bonded title?

6. Why dont you become a vin verifier? Its really easy and does not cost very much. You need to get bonded..still not much.. as long as you aren't a convicted felon, you can do it.

If it saves you one trip to the dmv its worth it..oh, you can do other people's cars and get paid for it!

7. pjones

pjones

:eek: Now "THAT" is the best idea I have heard yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can do my own, I may just do that!!!!!!!!! Do you know what I need to do, how long it takes??? I think I saw an application on a DMV sight somewhere....

As far as local Law Enforcement....Maybe I am just spooked here...But as I understand it, the Boyd thing has stopped any old law enforcement from working...I thought it was CHP only, and at CHP to boot, contrary to what the form says....

I really need a reliable inside source at the DMV that can tell me what will fly and what sinks....

Tried the local (Elk Grove) AAA and they said if it's out of the system (which it is) they can't help...Maybe I shoud check Lodi, and Roseville??

8. pjones

pjones

Brewsir...Last time that worked??? Not being an ass?? Just Curious....Don't want to do that, take the form to DMV and get sent to CHP....

55 Guy...Blue tag....Special Construction Vehicle tag....Basically a new VIN with new smog standards..AS I UNDERSTAND IT...Trust me I don't want to know for sure.....

9. RF

RF

Have you even gone to the DMV to ask these questions? Can't hurt. As for AAA, are you saying you shoud check branches in different cities? If so, don't waste your time--when they say "out of the system', they're refering to DMV's system, which will be evident anywhere you go in CA. You can't start there unless you have valid paperwork (don't believe they'll accept VVFs anymore--gotta go to DMV to apply for a title).

10. Choptop

Choptop

Check the Cruisin News.

look up Jim Moore in Placerville. You would have to take the car to him, and he dont charge too much.

the problem with becoming a VIN verifyer yourself is that you cant verify yer own vehicles.

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

hey man i always find a local officer or sherriffs deputy,either will work fine and is legal do not under any circumstance go near a chp officer!!!!!!!!take your time with the dmv and trust me when i say try woodland or colusa dmv they generally know what their doing and usually dont have any problems.the chp will jack you sideways in a heartbeat!!!and if you became a verifier you couldnt do your own vehicle anyhow.make sure the officer does not check the chp box on the form.also he cannot have any corrections or typos on it either.best bet would be to get more than one form just in case.somebody you know knows an officer and that would be your best bet.

12. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

pjones,

1) Do you have any official paper work (registration or ?) on your 31 Tudor that shows the vin number?

2) Does your car have an original stamped vin number?

3) Do you have a receipt for the car?

4) Have you been to a DMV office?

The Rocklin DMV office did my vin verification this summer on my 1959 Ranchero that was long out of the system.

The Sacramento CHP office near hwy 80 and Madison assigned a new vin number to my home built 1969 CB 750 this summer.

I guess, I am not following exactly……what is the issue you are having?

Mike

13. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

You know if it were me, (and it was a few months ago) I would walk into my local DMV office (after you made an appointment of course :)) and tell them that you...

1) bought a 1931 Model A
    2) the car did not come with a title, and
    3) you would like a replacement 1931 title in your name.

If they resist for what ever reason (and I don’t know why they would, but who knows it is the State government after all) then you might have a problem. You can always just walk out - no harm no foul.

I know I can have a slightly different take on DMV here than a lot of HAMBers but for me, the DMV is funded by tax dollars and therefore works for the people of the state....YOU AND ME! :D It is their job to help you with exactly what you are trying to do! When I went through my DMV “ordeal” this summer, I was very, VERY polite, very VERY firm in getting what I wanted, and VERY, VERY polite. I was told about 5 times that I could not keep my black license plates. So, I kept asking polite and now I am running the original 1963 black plates. Oh yeah, be polite!

Mike

P.S. Be sure to be polite to the DMV personal no matter how they treat you! I had the DMV office manager (yes, the manager that sits in the back and does'nt help customers) climb into the engine compartment of my Ranchero with a wire brush and scrub the rust from the frame rail to read the VIN number. He pitted out is dress shirt.

14. pjones

pjones

I have no Doc's other than bill of sale 70 year old guy....Couldn't find the title and didn't want to deal with all of this....He'd go with me if I asked him to, but it doesn't seem like that would make a lick of difference.......I do have the plates...Black and yellows....I think I will just use a VIN verifier...The guy in Placerville popped up twice today....

See everyone says stay away from the CHP.....That's why I am so nervous...Not that the car has ANY issues, and if any car was going to pass as a stock 31 Tudor it would be mine with a stock Banger, banjo, torque tube etc..In fact the only modification is the taffy pull drop axle and the reverse eye spring.....It would take a car guy to notice those things, and neither of them make it any less of a 31 Tudor.....

Oh yeah....If there is one thing that I am a while at the DMV it is POLITE....so we are good there.....But no I have not gone in because I don't want them to send me to the CHP...And only for the reasons stated above...

I dealt with the CHP on my CB750....No issues at all....I'm not by nature afraid of them...But you guys are sure making me....

15. Vergil

Vergil

I posted this in another thread in March of this year. I got a blue tag vin # and it is not a special built.

"I just went through this with my '31 coupe. It went smooth for me. I had only some body parts when I started. Made a custom frame, flathead engine, 5 speed, chopped top and full fenders. When I was about half way through the construction I called the CHP about the vin# and was told to wait until I was ready to drive it then do the vin#. I first went to the DMV and said I wanted to get the paperwork started to register a '31 Ford coupe that I had built and it had no paperwork on it and made the frame from scratch. They gave me a couple of papers that I filled out there. I paid them $99 (never had to pay any more money) and they gave me more papers to take to the CHP for a vin#. They issued a pemporary vin# and a paper to stick on the windshield. They said to have receipts for the major components (frame, body, transmission, rearend and engine) when I went to the CHP. Made an appointment at the closest CHP and had a stack of receipts and pictures during the build to take with me. Drove it to the CHP and I showed him the folder with all the receipts & etc., he didn't even look at them. We discussed where to place the vin# on the body and frame. He said it would take about 45 minutes but was more like 20. I took all the paperwork back to the DMV so they could insert the correct vin# where they had issued the temporary one to get the paperwork satrted. The DMV said the CHP would check for stolen parts when they checked it. The title says a '31 Ford coupe mfg in 2006 which is okay with me. I figured I was in for a hard time but went very smooth. Hope this helps."

I called CARB to check on the smog issues and he said not to worry, as long as it said a 1931 Ford Coupe, build date doesn't matter he said.

Vergil

16. pjones

pjones

Thanks to all that chimed in....All done....Plates and tags in hand and a title in the mail.....On with the build.....

17. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

Great, how did you end up doing it?

18. pjones

pjones

Private VIN verifier who turned out to be retired CHP.....Since I had to unbolt the body, and tilt it to the side, I wasn't going to try and get it to DMV or CHP if I could help it....He came to my place verified the VIN.....DMV clerk was super cool, took my nealty typed (Thanks to online DMV PDF) forms, and a check....
    They assigned new plates for now, let me keep phyiscal possesion of my 63 Black and Yellows, and sent me out with the form to send in to request the swap....Which will most likely get rejected...But at least they didn't take them from me and add them to the pile of blue and yellows they had on the floor.....

19. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

Nice, does he travel outside the Sac area? Contact info?

20. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Good To Hear Man Good Luck With The Build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!