Register now to get rid of these ads!

Homemade intake manifold. Aybody done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Hupmobile, Nov 12, 2004.

1. A lot of things I don't understand. One of them is why shouldn't or couldn't I build an intake for my L6 myself. Is there any specific reason it would have to be cast? Why couldn't I make one out of plate steel?

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

theres no reason you couldn't. i've modified some of my stock ones before.

3. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

No reason why you could not make an intake manifold.
    3/8" flanges on the head and 16 ga sheetmetal all brazed together would work great, could even be made odd looking.
    Use tubes and rectangular tube too.
    I think brazing would be best as it would cause the least amount of distortion. You could jig it up on the head and braze away after first tack brazing all the pieces. The flux coated bronze rods are low cost and an oxy acet torch are the major players.
    Mike Rouse

4. Piece a cake. You can build a log type with exhaust pipe and a log plenum. Or you can make a simple plenum box for your carb if you're building it for a single carb.
    I'd probably wire weld it myself, but I've brazed 'em when all I had was a torch.
    Sheep metal/tubeing intakes have been around forever. I think they cast me because its easier to mass produce and keep 'em all the same.

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

build it on the head weld everything nice before you remove it and have the flange surfaced and there will be no problems. I have made some for harleys and have them hpc coated when im done to give a nice look to them.

6. Mutt

Mutt

7. laverda

laverda

From an old HAMB post ...... for a hemi but you get the idea (apologies to the dial ups) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

later,
    papa al

8. whizzerick

whizzerick

The Vaporizer!

[​IMG]

9. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Laverda,

Could you repost that Post... Only pic 2 came out. It looks like a sweet article, and a fun project. Thanks. Or PM me and you could email it, if you would be so kind. Thanks.

Jonnyhotrod

10. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Ordinarily a multi-carb V-8 manifold sets you back $75 or more"

They got that right! [​IMG]

11. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Would love to see some old U-Fab plans/instructions if anyone's got 'em....

Jonny

12. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

A friend of mine is putting a 308 Hudson six in a '29 Essex roadster. He's making his own intake and modifying a jeep header sys for this engine.

Attached Files:

13. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

headers

Attached Files:

14. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Here's the factory relief on the Hudson 308 flathead.

Attached Files:

15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Harlan/Spank made a 3/2 a couple of years ago out of square tubing and flat steel and alot of guys mentioned that it would not work. But he did it and I saw him this past summer on the salt with the intake still there. I mentioned it to him about the intake and he just shrugged it off. I have a pix that I can post in the next couple of days.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

16. Here's one a friend made for his hemi back in the day. Flat steel and square tube, just like the one Sodbuster mentioned. Duane has been running this one since 1957.

Attached Files:

17. dehudso

dehudso

bitchin hudson pics there. Have him relieve that thing to the head gasket, and it should fly. Any more pics?

18. DollaBill

DollaBill

A bit OT, but Hogan does it everyday...

[​IMG]

19. nero

nero

in the old days they sold u weld em log manifold kits..maybe som one should start making them ? every one today has a mig..

20. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

you can use aluminum and do anything you want sidedrafts four barrels anything,import kids do it alll the time

21. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey..
    I made a t-ram for the 455 thats in the A COUPE.. NOT THAT HARD BUT DO WELDING WHEN INTAKE IS BOLTED ON DUMMY SET UP.
    PONTIAC SLIM

Attached Files:

22. Stone

Stone

Great post. I was looking for info on Crower U-Fab intakes from the old days and came across some threads that linked this one. Cool ideas

23. Here's mine.....again. :)

Weber side-draft on an Iron Duke.

Attached Files:

24. Moloko

Moloko

I'm planning on making one this winter.

Here is the one my friend just got for his race DSM. Has velocity stacks inside :eek:

[​IMG]

25. Twisted6

Twisted6

I am remaking the tunnle ram intake out of alum right now.The first one was made of sheet metal and so was the flat 3x2 intake.The Tunnle ram intake was built for my 3x4 (450 holleys) Building them was not hard to do,Just take your time and Use a head as a jig when your ready to start welding it up.It will help a Great deal to keep it straight.

Attached Files:

26. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

How the men do it.No not me flat 32 sometimes on hamb did this, also did own heads.

Attached Files:

27. budd

budd

boy thats nice, alot of work, have any pics of the head tooling? anymore info around on this job?

28. Yup... When no one makes a manifold for your engine, because it isn't a HONDA...

Here is Mine...
    Started with some 0.75" 6061 T-6 plate and a Intake gasket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended up with this... After a few math calculations for length of the runners and such...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Here are some pics of a stub manifold that my kid fabbed up for me .Not bad for a 19 year old.

Attached Files:

30. Flatdog, that is a slick set-up...

Your boy must have had a good teacher