Register now to get rid of these ads!

TURKEY CALL!! novembers 4-banger meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUHRsc, Nov 1, 2007.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Get out your tire chains and non-vented hood sides. Tape some old Sta-Lube boxes over part of your radiator. Redrill those holes and snap in your side curtains. Get out your beakers and mix up a special concoction of fluid to keep the juices flowing. ITS GETTING COLD!

Temperatures here in PA are nearing freezing in the mornings now. We've already had our first frost.

So what does all of this mean.....time to WORK!
    Anyone have any winter projects, new acquisitions, new ideas?

I've been tossing around the idea of building a model-A motor for in my new track roadster. It looks like i may end up getting a running A motor and I know some guys run these pretty hard.
    Whats everyones feelings on going with an A rather then a B?
    I know the crank isnt as strong, but are there any other major downfalls?
    Whats the thoughts on hopping one up for a lightweight little race car?
    counterweights
    more oil to the mains
    aluminum flywheel
    hot cam
    dual 94's
    winfield alum head
    better ignition
    etc....

im thinking that I can do the A for a comparable price to a flathead V8 considering the price of speed equipment for the V8 keeps going up
    Assuming that the babbit is good in the A and nothing needs turned down...
    its just a thought now but im open for opinions

Zach

2. Haha!
    Drove the ol' Banger to work today. After the morning frost had melted from the screen... Mmmm. Cosy, cosy Cee-dan. Must fix that blowing manifold though to stop the cabin filling with fumes!

I'm still running a stock A engine all except the lightened flywheel. And after 4ever4's year of blow ups and misshaps - reckon I'm liking it. I have a few mild winter plans for it, head, manifolds, downdraft carb. And 'B' brakes up front.

And a funky ignition set up maybe...

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Getting chilly 'round these parts too, though not quite down to freezing yet.
    Not got much to report for this month, just sorting a few things out in readiness for an indoor show next weekend. I fitted a new pulley after my old stock one broke, though a postal strike prevented my new crank seal from getting here for weeks, so I still haven't fitted that. Probably won't for a little while either! Just keep topping it up....
    A engines have at least two big advantages over B blocks....less chance of them cracking 'tween the valves (more metal in that area); and there were millions more of them made. Still using the A crank and rods in mine - though 'weighted, using inserts and full oil pressure - and have run a 17 on the quarter.
    Been some real interesting banger threads on here recently; notably the speedster thread & the one about the period real axles. Enjoyed reading them both. Oh, and Bill's snubber thread. Should link them to the banger meet so that it all ties up...

Done. Links here...
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218481 Snubber
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218394 Period Axle
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218610 Speedster

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I'm working on mine too :)

Attached Files:

5. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2996575720049181497RpyuzD
    In my opinion the biggest problem is pressurizing the "A" block. I use what I call the Urb Stair method from the restorer reprints. I modified this block in 1997 and the only repair is where a bar on something pinched a line. I like the look of the one from Speedy Bill's that has the lines on the outside. A picture was used on the cover of a SOSS mag a few years back.
    I run both "A"'s and "B"'s and I'm going to put the Winfield "A" back in the modified so I can run the hood. When I built the "A" some people would ask "Why not a B" and my reply was anyone can build a "B" but it takes more ingenuity to do an "A". I believe that you can open up the intakes larger on an "A" with less concern about seats cracking, I have a winfield head that has very large valve areas. the oldtimer I got it from said that he used 1 7/8" intakes and ran 114 in 1941.I don't know about the speed but the head he said was "Cherry" had been milled .200 as compared to a stock head. I have used the head but had gasket troubles. I Think it has 100 cc chambers, most of the "Crows Foot" has been milled away.

6. Bluto, I would love just to be a fly on the wall of your place for a day!

Any more info on your Miller 4?

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

NO YOU DON'T!!!!!!! Whenever Bluto is on the phone with me he is walking around the shop with a fly swatter.:eek:

8. phlip

phlip

Zach I'd run the b just cause it is better... I had a built A with inserts bored out to 213 cu and a winfield flat head on it but I sold it to go with a B. But I also wanted to run an ohv too. But if you've got the A and it runs you could always run that around for awhile and put the B in later. If you need a B motor I have several of them here at the house one is totally complete and supposedly runs (big?).

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I am making pieces as soon as I've something more to show you guys I'll post photos. This is no ''bolt together'' thing and I don't want to screw it up

It may take one more trip to the scrap metal yard to see if they got more
    of this junk

I don't think the whole mess will run till this time next year

I did get a set of Bugatti work bench legs for my birthday! :)

They are fake Bugatti bench legs made in So.America .... just for the record!!

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Bob's right!

These are the best thing Harbor Freight sell!

We imported several........

Attached Files:

11. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

Fitted my single 81 on a modified Weber intake managed to stop it leaking with a new S-Jet inlet valve. Hoping to get a good run on it this weekend to see if the gravity feed works up hills. Noticed straight away the engine note sounds much crisper on the down draft than my juicy old B carb.
    If this goes ok I plan to fit B cam, stainless valves and my fly-cut Thomas head over the winter. Nothing to hairy as I plan on keeping the Babbit.
    Rich

12. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I picked up a lightened flywheel, a built 39 trans, and a volvo overdrive torque tube unit with the modded axle to make it work. I also bought an early aluminum timing cover with a ball bearing side drive mag setup. Oh and a s load of new mechanical brake parts to restore mine. Ported the head on the ovh and picked up one mph but never got to adjust the carbs to match it because I stripped a thread in the block and am pushing coolant. My banger has really been kicking my bits pretty hard these days. I made some shirts for us, they are in the classifieds.

13. All I got done was put some 17" and 18"'s on the A that I bought at a swap meet. The V8 caps confuse a lot of people. The wires are just for now, I have some other tires and wheels for it. :D It is below freezing here at nights, so plans are to start doing the swap on the A. First thing is to get my B motor buttoned up. It features a lightened flywheel and counterbalanced crank. I have a Burns dual with two 81's, Winfield head, Mallory dizzy, header, and a B trans with later gears. after this is in and deemed "good", I have a dropped axle and hydrallic brakes to go on, along with 32 bumbers and a dropped headlight bar with a set of black matching paint guides. Should give the old A a new look and a heck of a new ride :) I'll keep everyone updated if you care.

The only thing I don't have yet is the cam. I have had so many recomondations I don't know what to do. This thing will be driver a lot, and not raced so suggestions are needed!!!!

Attached Files:

14. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I'm keeping the 4 for my A. But I want to drive it on those new fangled highway things, so I'm working on some secret plans for mine.

Speaking of which - anybody have any more pics of the Green Engineering DOHC without the front cover?

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Bruce that's GREAT

I type in D U M B and got a hundred patents for dumb stuff..... :D

NEW TOY!!!!!!

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hah...I spent most of yesterday researching an odd cap for a Schrader. The smaller and more generic the part, the more I obsess...

20. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

It's been another lazy month for me as I was out of the country for the best part of three weeks visiting sunny (for the most part!) California.

Whilst I was there a visit to Jay Steel at Taylor Engine (where I had my banger built) netted these little gems.

[​IMG]

It's a pair of original vinyl stickers, dating pre 1955 going by the style of phone number used. At least I now have a job to do on the car when I come to installing them!

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is in the 60's here...ah california. Been driving my TD everywhere, well cause it is my daily. Going to take a tour of the bay via San Mateo hopefully in a few weeks. Will be a nice drive. Have to fix the rear main seal cause it leaks more than the titanic.

hey zach any progress reports on the tube frame car?

22. noboD

noboD

Flyswatters and rubber gloves?? Sounds kind of kinky.

23. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

not really making much headway lately....everything else is getting in the way
    sneak peak picture on www.hopupmag.com in the "hopupland" section
    i got the nose started but need to figure the buldges on the sides and make the rest of the aluminum work.....its at the point where everything has to build upon everything else so its gona be a slow process with all the compound curves and whatnot
    and now this thought of eliminating 4 of the cylinders?????

Zach

24. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Thanks, Bruce. NOW I'm gonna get fired.

Actually good info to garner for my design. Thanks.

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

26. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Wow Phlip
    What makes the 'B' better in your mind?

I'm kinda in the same mindset that Bill is. I can do more with an 'A' engine than with a 'B' engine.

As far as what is new this past month, I sold my A400 body at Hershey and wound up buying a single-stick OHV head and a Station Wagon body. As much as I hate to resort to this, I may have to sell some of my other toys to fund a new shop building. My bank has a 10,000 square foot (100'x100') building they have foreclosed upon that is air conditioned and etc. I think it would really be "cool" (bad pun I know) to work on cars in the A/C during the summer heat. The other bad news if this deal goes through is my banger-powered Maxton car budget gets shelved for the 2008 season.:( Maybe the 2009 season too!:eek: :D

Ohh, I did trade an autographed bottle of Junior Johnson's moonshine for a 361" lift Model 'B' Cheetah Cam so I guess it was a good month for collecting.[​IMG]

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

THANK YOU BRUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That Patent search proves the speedster body I brought home from New Jersey last week is in fact a Morton & Brett. I've had an original sales broshure for years, and it has the patent number in the heading # 54,668. I typed that in the search on the site you mentioned and scrolled down and found the sketch & data on the SPEEDWAY body designed by Elvin D. Morton a Canadian living in Indianapolis and filed the patent September 20, 1919 and got it on March 9, 1920 witnessses were Jewel Clark and Jack Brett. My guess is that at some time Mr. Brett became a partner and Morton & Brett took off @1922. Isn't the HAMB Great!!!!!!!!!!:D

Attached Files:

28. 37- CONGRATS!!! Best of luck in the rebuild- keep us in the loop with posts & pics!

29. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Hey Brent!
    Wanted to say it was great to finally put a face to the voice at Hershey! Great hangin with yourself! Your friendship is greatly valued!

Scored a few nice banger goodies while there,....:)

As for an update, we're making sloooow but steady headway on my "A" block build,....still hoping to have the engine ready to drop in by Christmas!!!