Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I trade this 9-inch ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercjoe, Oct 24, 2007.

1. mercjoe

mercjoe

I still dont get why those 57-60 car axles are so desirable.
    Are you talking about using the low truck gears into the the cars
    axle housing ? why should I do that ?

Thanks
    D.

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Aesthetics only.

Yep. Better off-the-line performance...the 2.78-3.10 ratios are pretty sluggish off the line....

3. crisallt

crisallt

and their narrow...

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Those rear end housings are desirable because they were the narrowest factory housings...On '50s, '60s and '70s cars, they allow you to put a wider tire under the car without having it stick out of the fender opening.
    On 30's hot rods, where you very often see the whole rear end housing when viewing from behind, the back of the differential housing looks good, because it's nice and round, it doesn't have a big bump in it for the ring gear, like the later housings do. Visually, it's a much cleaner looking housing. It als tucks the tires in closer to the body.

-Brad

5. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Am I the only one that noticed "C4AW" ? the diff, pig ,chunk or whatever you call it is from a 64....somebody swapped gears.
    dave

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

There are only a few 9" castings & one of the most common was the C4AW...it was used all the way through 9" production ending.

Casting numbers are not a good way to determine year of manufacture. If a particular part is used for many years, the casting number may never change, if it does & it's only a minor change, the part number will get a different suffix (C4AW-XXXX-B)