Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rajo 216ci/235ci conversion-- rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I know it is tech week but I can't wait.... sorry....

I have been offered a car with a 235ci Six with a Rajo conversion. I had heard of Rajo intakes and heads for 4 bangers but never for a Six. The only info I can find is on Speedy Bill's museum website here:
    http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/Collections/Engines/RajoE033.shtml

The car is solid and straight but I really don't have much interest in it. I would probably end up switching out the motor and selling it.

SO, who knows about Rajo conversions? Is it really as rare on this 216 as it seems it is in internet land? Anyone have a value on something like this?

It is a really neat set up. I just really need to justify to myself if it is worth buying yet another car.

This is a disease and we are all sick.:D

2. banjorear

banjorear

Chevy Girl:

I can't give you stats or anything, but it has to be. They were and are rare for 4 cly. T's & A's. Good luck. That sounds awesome!

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

What kind of car?

4. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

I have been dealing in vintage speed equipment for 30 years and have NEVER seen one. I think there is a picture of a set up on a roadster in one of Don Montgomery's books. A rare piece for sure!

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Wow. I would love to have on of those. Convert it to a 235 and go to town!

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

It is a '53 Chevy 2dr post sedan. It is super solid and straight. It has been in storage for like 30 years. It runs and drives though.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I used to own a Rajo head for a 216, and it's the only one I've ever seen. It was the last project that Rajo Joe completed before his death in the early '50s.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I believe that is an original head reworked with an extra manifold right above where original sits making a straight shot of the runners down towards the valves and carrying an extra carb! I have an old ad somewhere showing the thing. I don't know if he also reworked that tall pocket in the combustion chamber...other speed suppliers did that on an exchange basis.

9. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

That is basically what it was. Here is the photo off Speedy Bill's site...

Attached Files:

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Notice that Speedy Bill didn't try to figgerout linkage...good Lord. I hope Rajo supplied something to the original owners!

11. flyin-t

flyin-t

In his estate, Joes, was left a 51 chevy hardtop with one of his 6 banger heads on it too. I wonder what ever became of it?

12. nexxussian

nexxussian

Wonder if it had 2 pedals? 1 for GO, the other for GO MORE.

Too bad it's a post:(. That clean and with that rare of a piece of speed equipment on it I seriously doubt I could afford it anyway.

Didn't all the 53's come with 235's? Manuals with solid lifters and splash oil, and Powerglide cars with hydraulics and full pressure? Or am I getting my years mixed up?

13. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

This is not the original engine that came in the car, it is a 216ci truck engine. It has a 3 speed Hurst floor shifter.

14. flyin-t

flyin-t

You're correct.

15. Road Runner

Road Runner

Looks like it was meant to go with the stock single carb intake.
    Would be easier to hook up both carbs to the same linkage that way.

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, it wasn't a reworked stock head--mine was definitely an aftermarket casting. Besides the "compound manifolding", it had 1 15/16 inch intake valves (same as '50-'52 Powerglide engines), and smaller combustion chambers for more compression. Mine was stamped "004", I assume signifying that it was the fourth head completed. I have seen ads for them showing both a downdraft and sidedraft auxiliary carb.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Wonder if it had 2 pedals? 1 for GO, the other for GO MORE."

I have seen a Chevy set up that way with two accel pedals in some old magazine!

I had no idea those heads were special castings...the setup is so strange I had assumed it was a rework. I wonder why he did it that way if he was starting from scratch...why not make bigger/more ports all in one place?

18. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

So what are you waiting for? I would buy it and at least keep the motor and sale the rest. Or sell the motor to pay for the car. That head is awesome.

19. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I agree. Get it and see what the engine will sell for. Pay for the car with that money.

20. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

Are you sure it's a 216 and not a 261? Seems odd to swap out a 235 in favor of a smaller motor.

21. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

That is what I want to do, keep the motor for a future project and sell the car. But I'll have to replace the motor. I haven't had much luck selling rollers.

I've been told it is a 216 but I will double check tonight when I go to look at it.

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You find all the good stuff. :p Good luck sweetie. I hope it's what you want.

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It has to be either a 216 or an early truck 235; Rajo never made a head for the later, '53-'62 bolt pattern.

24. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Well, I am going to go look at it. Hopefull I'll get some pics to show you boys.

Decisions, decisions....

25. Road Runner

Road Runner

Please do make some pics - we only got the museum shot of this rare head and intake, so far.

There is a hardcore 216 crowd out there and if you auction it, you may be surprised how much somebody would pay for something unique like this.

I would keep it at least for a while and enjoy a hot unique 216 with headers.
    What a great little motor !!!
    I swap mine for a 261 any day now, but drove it since spring for 1000 miles and can't believe how smooth it runs - never rebuilt in 60 years !!! :eek:

26. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

I would really appreciate some photos, that is a very rare set up you have there....
    And I am a 216/235 hi torque nut... :D '22

27. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

well I went to look at it. It has a 235ci early truck engine it with the Rajo conversion. It is a very nice solid, straight Texas car like I was told. It was built about 30 years ago so it is somewhat dated but nothing that can't be reversed. I got some good pictures of the conversion but I don't have a way to upload them right now. Hopefully if all goes well tomorrow I'll have unlimited access to it for photos ;)

28. kooldaddy-o

kooldaddy-o

Chevygirlrox....
    If you don`t buy this let me know, I inherited my grandfathers 36 Chevy low roof pick up and have been collecting 53-54 Corvette 235 motor parts for it but this would be a very cool set up.
    Thanks
    Kool

29. I have a Christmas wish list and it starts with this, as my first item.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

What was RAJO doing between the time he made the slant back BB head for the 26-27 Model T Ford and this Chevy head? If you pop the motor and that body has a good floor and rockers I might be interested.