Register now to get rid of these ads!

mickey thompson sbc cross ram intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theracedude, Oct 16, 2007.

1. theracedude

theracedude

first i have ever heard of them, are they old or a new repop thing?

2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Old. And fairly rare.
    I saw one on a 409 once...had trouble walking upright for the rest of the show.

-Brad

3. 1oldrat

1oldrat

they are not that rare.All the big name brands made them.Offenhauser,Edelbrock,M/T,Weiand and a couple off brands.I've seen them with 2x4's and even 6x2's.?The 6x2's are scarce.There is always a bunch of them on the other site.

4. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

From what I understand M/T only cast intakes for 2 years..

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

you see crossrams at most swap meets. The M/T brand is less common

6. theracedude

theracedude

Worth $1000 With Carbs? Just Sounds Like A Deal But Not Sure.

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

There was one M/T crossram 2X4 at the pile-up for much less then that with carbs and cleaners

8. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I had one on a 332 inch 60 Vette back in 63-65 era. Very cool looking but very hard to get the fuel distribution right. Ran mid 12's on crappy Casler recaps which was quick for a street car back then. The car ran better with a single 4 barrel Holley setup off a 327/365 Vette motor

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I've seen quite a few SBC ones they are in my 1964 M/T catalog too

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I should have clarified a little: I've seen a ton of the Edelbrock X-rams, a bunch of Offys, and a lot of them for Mopars, but I don't remember seeing many M/T cross rams for anything.

(The Mopars had a plate for tri-power carbs, too. Some of the Mopar versions I've seen were called the Rat Roaster)

-Brad

11. 1929rats

1929rats

1000.00 for a M/T cross ram, carbs, and cleaners sounds fair to me....especially if the price included the linkage....

I plan on using one on a 301 powering a 61 vette that im currentlly building. One thing about the M/t is there is a connecting tube that runs accross the top that connects the 2. This makes the carbs better for street use.... I currentlly have two holley 600's but, see myself sizing down.....any other guys here running a cross ram?

I'd like to get some idea of carb size/data for running a 301 cheverolet (or other small block for that matter).

thanks

12. Ditto here, who's running them and how well are they on the street? saw that one at the pileup and started thinking...

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

A fellow car club member has an M/T crossram on a Pontiac....somewhat rare.

14. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

I ran a tunnel rammed 355 sbc with 2x450vs in my 35 3w for years, it ran GREAT & gave outstanding fuel economy. I have recently bought a period M/T Xram & will soon try the 450 vac sec's on it, it will be very interesting to compare....Hemi35

15. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I have a weiand cross ram on my 327. I've done a lot of looking. Edelbrock, weiand, and offenhauser all made one that looked almost exactly the same. Very minor differences between them. The mickey thompson for sbc is staggard while the others are side x side. The M/T is probably the rarest followed by weiand then offenhauser then edelbrock. anyway, mine is good on the street. I'm running old holley 390 double pumpers. They are choke delete carbs w/ mechanical secondaries. They work fine, car is cold blooded as hell, but starts right up and runs clean. I sent the carbs to quick fuel in kentucky to be rebuilt and had some goodies added. I crack the secondaries open a litte otherwise it will foul the back plugs. Also make sure that there is a pcv that is connected to both carbs that feeds from the same spot. I hear if you don't do that it'll be a bitch to tune. Has a high idle, about 1100 cold and 1500 warm. I think I might be able to bring it down a little more.

16. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

by the way I gave $250 for my intake. It was polished and had two 500cfm carters on it with the linkage.

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

There was a manifold shootout in Hot Rod mag a few years ago. The problem they had with the crossram (don't know which make) was the reversion. At idle, you could see a find misty cloud over the carbs. A buddy of mine ran one on his BBC 34' Coupe. He took it off and replaced it with dual quads because of the reversion issue. He even tried reversion plates in the manifold but it helped too little.

18. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

I have one. Haven't ever used it yet. I was gonna do 4 94s on it but recently came across another 4x2 and I am a bit unsure which to use. I paid $300 for it. It is in prestine condition. Farely rare for sbc. I see them on egay for 400+ all the time.

19. SimonSez

SimonSez

I am running a Edelbrock XC-96 on a 454 BBC with 2 x Holley 1850's (600 vac sec). I've only spent minimal time mucking around with it as it has only been running for a few minutes and driven about 200 yards, but it starts and runs ok considering. When I get back to it, I plan to use an infra-red thermometer to help dial in the idle settings and then see how it drives.

Does anyone have any photos of the connecting tube on the M/T version ? I have also read that it helps them run smoother.

I will eventually also install a balancing tube between the vacuum secondary canisters to equalise them so they open at the same time.

20. 1929rats

1929rats

I'll take some pics and get some up....Im sitting on two of them....a M/T and a offy (both have a connecting tube) The Offy has a weird square end to it though...and the M/T is just cooler....I am assuming the manifold Im calling is an offy...it has every indication, however, when I bought the manifold, it had the offy name ground off. I appreciate the info on carb sizes and the like....give me a little and I'll get em on....

21. 1929rats

1929rats

OK....here are the manifolds I have....both have the "tube" connecting both plenums as discussed above... the one with the square end is (what I assume) an offy.....BTW....I may list the offy t complete (with carbs and linkage) on the classifieds minus the two 40-40 scoops so watch for it in the future...still thinking about what set up I am gonna use.....

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. SimonSez

SimonSez

Thanks.

23. krawlin98zj

krawlin98zj
    from NE Ohio

This may be a little OT but does anyone know where a person might be able to find 2 scoops like that?

24. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I don't believe I have ever seen a cross ram like the one you say is an offy. Every one I have seen other than a M/T are side by side not staggard.:confused: Hmm. It's sweet though

25. msuguydon

msuguydon

26. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

I have part number for the M/T cross ram intakes for those who are interested.

27. panic

panic

Another view of the M/T:

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

As a kid i had a m/t crossram for a fe ford,the thing was huge.the distributor was a strange piece,think it was a sbc with a ford gear on the bottom.I got mine to work with a chrysler dist.With 2 600 vacuum secondary holleys and a little tuning it ran pretty good on the street.

29. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Nothing beats the coolness of a MT crossram. I tried both the cross ram and edelbrock TR1 manifold on the dragstrip 25 years ago. 660 holleys, full steel 56 chevy ran 11.90s with either manifold on a 327. I don't think it was quite as good as the tunnel ram, but close. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it for a small 301 unless it was a full race mill with 4.88 -5.86 ratio. If you want to run it maybe a pair of 390 holleys would be ok. Might be a "dog" on a 301 as the plenem is huge on the crossram. I had a 6.14 gear in my car when I used it. Try it out as it is a super cool manifold.

30. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

This look kind of like a M/T manifold, but I think it's a edelbrock.