Register now to get rid of these ads!

Somebody shot my shop dog!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OHR281, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I love dogs and feel horrible for your animal.

But, it's irresponsible and against the
    law to let your dogs run lose. Sorry Man,
    but it's the truth. You need to take responsibility
    first and blame your neighbors second.

I mean you knew you had a trigger happy neighbor,
    and you leave town, and let your dogs run unattended?

2. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Ya, you're right. It's somehow his fault the asshole neighbor shot his dog. What was the point in what you just said? You would never say that kinda shit to someones face, and if you would you should be institutionalized.

Speedy recovery to Axle, and the RPU looked great this weekend.

3. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

#1, shoot either of my dogs and you have messed with my family.
    #2, mess with my family, and I am gonna mess with you.
    #3, in Florida, if you shoot a gun and the bullet travels on my property, that is criminal trespassing.
    I would definitely call the law and get them involved. God Help you if I see you shoot at one of my dogs, the law would be involved, but it would be me in jail.

4. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

POOR Dog- sounds like maybe he was protecting the shop from someone and got in the way...

5. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Easy on the homeschoolers, we can aim AND spell.

Out here in the country, if a dog is going after the farm animals, they are fair game. Most of us give them the benefit of the doubt THE FIRST TIME. If you can't keep your dog close to home, stuff like this happens. My neighbor shot 2 of the dogs from town a year ago. They were killing his chickens. Siberian Huskies. Beautiful dogs left to run wild by their owners over 2 miles away. The first time he chased them away and called the cops. The second time he shot them AND called the cops. The owners got 2 dead dogs AND the opportunity to pay $10 per chicken for the birds that were killed or see the judge.

I hate to see it. I've been in the country most of my life and have had my dog shot the same way. We knew who did it. He lied to our faces but told a buddy later on. She was over a mile from home so what could we do? You've got to work on keeping him home and then it will be less likely to happen.

I hope for the best for your dog.

6. tomslik

tomslik

ya know, that fucker's gonna wake up someday and HIS dog will have his throat in it's mouth.....karma's a bitch, so's dogma..

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wonder if that prick knows there are laws to protect animals..his ass could go to jail for this if ever caught..i would set his ass up

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

but like danimal said if hes out and causing problems it could end up this way too..guess i dont know enough about the situation..residential? it is against the law to discharge a wepon within most city limits..there must be more to this story..Sorry about your dog ..i have one to and have had dogs all my life they are like family.

9. I agree with the door knob comment, and am really sorry to hear that. I hope that Axel gets better soon.

But seriously, you should report that kind of shit to the cops. Make sure that fucker spends a couple days in jail.

10. roadracer

roadracer

Wow, that's hard. One side of me says that I'd try and calm down enough to ask the guy face-to-face. It would be difficult though.

But really, the best answer is to call the cops. If someone shot him cos he's somewhere he shouldn't be doing stuff he shouldn't i'm guessing they'll tell the cops if they asked.

11. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

just call one the Animal groups, Its cruelty to animals, thats just as punishable as shooting a person!....... that means real "pound you in the ass" jail time!!!

12. nexxussian

nexxussian

If you haven't already, you NEED to report this to the police. If someone is shooting ANYWHERE within the vicinity of your home / shop that is unnacceptable. Read the safety warning on a box of 22LR ammo, the warning reads may go up to 2 1/2 miles. Therefore anywehre closer than 3 is too close. I hope you already have reported this. If you haven't, just remember to tell the truth, and stick to it. Every time I have ever heard about someone getting caught (like the low life that shot your dog) it involves them changing their story along the way.

Bear in mind the wounds suggest he ran away after getting clipped (you say he was grazed in the front?) as opposed to defending your home. The police may view that as he was out of his yard and therefore may not want to bother with the paperwork (I hope not), but you need to have this on record and official. The main goal has to be the prevention of this in the future.

I know you want to believe that it was your 'new' neighbor (as likely you don't want to believe it is one of your other neighbors) but you never know. If ballistics can be traced, great, it is the only way you will know for sure. But then it is only the weapon, not necessarily the shooter, does this guy have any kids? I hate to suggest it, but a kid coud do something like that when the parent might not. We had a neighbor who's cat was shot up, with a pelet gun INSIDE their fenced in yard. It trurned out to be the neighbor kid accross the street who had just got a new air pistol. Thank god he hadn't figured it out that you can pump it up more than once (still got infected and had to go to the vet $$$).

The 10 22 sounds most likely as I have a 22 auto pistol, the recoil (not much) from the slide working is much more than that of the actual shell, it makes it more difficult to hit a moving target. I have a Marlin 22 lever gun as well, it would be hard to pump the lever fast enough without some more accurate sight on it. If I read corectly he stopped bleeding shortly after you found him, I'm sure you both did all you could tho help that, but it means it happend shortly before you got there. I may have mis read it but I understand it was later at night, ie dark when you got home, meaning the weapon in question likely has some improved sighting system, light gathering scope, lazer, holographic, even a fiber optic front (or the immensly obvious flashlight AKA "poacher's light"). The standard sights on any civillian rifle I have ever fired are a bitch to hit anything with in the dark.

I'm not suggesting you present these details to the police, they should aready know all of this, just keep your eyes peeled for ANYONE with a new 22 caliber (you did say 22?) and you are likely to see the weapon around, at which point, having been truthfull in your earlier report, you go back and report that to the police. Let them handle it, it's what their paid for, and if it comes down to it the more paper you have to Cover Your Own Ass (CYOA) in the eyes of the court the better.

Hope he heals well, and quicly. I lost my dog earlier this year (Valentines day, she was killed by a moose, we have them here in the city and it's illegal to shoot them unless you catch them in the act). It initially looked like she was shot (small round hole on the left at the back of the rib cage) turns out it was a broken rib that pireced the skin from the inside out. I had an Xray done to confirm (only one hole, so if it was a bullet it would still be in there). Later in the day here too, I couldnt see the moose tracks untill the next day when it got light. It's how I know these things, I had to think of them and get this same advice earlier this year.

13. OHR281

OHR281

No I do take responsibililty for what happened. I live at the end of a long dead end street. Only 5 other neighbors live on the street, we know them all except the one suspected shooter, he is new and antisocial. I don't think he likes us and our loud hot rods do burn outs and high speed racing. We have lived here for more than 20 years, all the other neighbors know us, our dogs , and our crazy car habits. they don't care, own guns, or shoot stray animals. But this new guy that bought the old Bills place (he was a cool old man that was at the Battle of the Bulge and on the beaches of Normandy) went to an old folks home and this POS moved in and doesn't say hi, screw you or nothing.
    I keep Axle and his sister Steelie locked up usually. At night they have a fenced in area behind the body shop to do their duty of barking at any strange criminal minded folk that might want to take things that don't belong to them. My parent live next door and my mom lets them out when I am out of town. They usually just go down to the creek and play in the water for a couple hours and come home, but sometimes they wonder around. They were dumped off dogs just like the rest of the dogs we have ever owned. As previously mentioned, dead end street in a rural area. That is where trashy, cold hearted people dump unwanted animals. has happened more times than I can count in the 20something years we have lived here. All my dogs are current on rabies, have collars with all proper tags and id's. I know for a fact that Axle and Steelie never hurt anything in neighboring property, they just like to run and play. The neighbor just goes by shoot first make warning later.
    He is doing ok today, gona stay at the vet for a while to keep him off the hip.
    On the concern of taking the bullet to the cops, easier said than done, the two shots in the leg, the bullets fragmented into splinters. I don't think CSI could figure it out. THe one in his hip is still there for now, they don't want to go in and cause more damage right now, they are waiting for the fracture to heal. You can see it really good in the xray. the bullet is in 3 pieces, one larger than the other two, I would like to see it for myself.
    I do plan on confronting the neighbor, but am trying to figure out a way of doing it so that he is not going to just deny it outright. I don't think the coward would admit it. but he is the only one around that would do it.
    Thankyou all for your nice words and well wishes.

Attached Files:

14. I don't agree with shooting anybody's dog but they shouldn't be running free. We fenced our 3 acres in so our dog would have somewhere to run and not get out and mess with the neighbors' livestock. As for the asshat that shot Axle, I am thinking maybe some limburger cheese or a load of Axle's solid waste on the guy's catalytic convertor ought to do the trick. A dead fish works pretty well for that trick also.

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Move. Seriously.

16. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

Hope for a speedy recovery for Axle...

Good luck on confronting the guy, and I honestly hope he didn't do it. You will know by his response when you confront him. Just stay calm and deal with this guy and/or get him to move.....

I am impressed at how level you are about this, most of use love our pets and they are part of the family so getting emotional and wanting to pound someone for something like this is easy. Just stay calm and good luck on dealing with it....

17. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

The neighbor’s dog died on my property a while back. It was a little Jack Russell that used to come over, dig under a gate, and chase the goats and horses around. I chased him off several times and told the neighbor he needed to keep it on his property and out of my pasture. Problem was the dog was his daughters and she would just let it outside to go to the bathroom and not watch over it. One day I came home and found the Horse pawing at something in the pasture, when I investigated I found the Dog with his head half caved in. My guess was he was chasing either the horse or the goats and the horse had enough and a good swift kick ended everything. When I told the neighbor, he asked if I would just drag it off into the woods and not say anything to his daughter about it because it would upset her. He said he would tell her it just ran off. Yea, I guess that’s his way of teaching responsibility to an ill responsible teenager. Now to clarify, if it had been a bigger dog, one that I thought would harm my animals, after the first warning to the neighbor, the next time it chased one of my animals it would have received a load of buckshot. I’m not just going to shoot an animal for walking on my property, but I will protect my investments.

18. tjm73

tjm73

Why should he move? He's been ther for 20 years. This guy moved in and now his dog is shot. The anti-social douchebag, pig fucker should move. Staight into a pine box 6 feet under. Or perhaps into a unmarked deep dirt hole in the woods.

19. Toyghoul

Toyghoul
    from SPOKANE

Best wishes for Axels recovery! I see too many dog's getting shot and accused of being Dangerous just because they are running at large. Please people keep your dogs on your own property. I own a Rott and had a Bully Breed, (Tana R.I.P.) and if they were to run loose they would scare the hell outta people. They stay in my yard and I never have a visit from Animal control and don't have to see them get hit by a car or bein shot at. The number of dogs being shot and killed -injured by cars is sickening. people always think it won't happen to them. I don't know how many times I've heard, "My dog never leaves my yard." only to have to later drag the DOA off the road and report the bad news to the dog owner. Oh, and if someone shoots your dog on your property that's wrong. If the dog is off property and threatening someone-something that's a different story, but I hate to see any animal shot. it all goes back to being a responsible pet owner, and I'm worried about the "Hurt his dog in retalliation" attitude... You guys are joking right? I really love animals and hate most people......

20. Impala65

Impala65
    from Brazil

Yesterday was your dog, tomorrow can be you, don´t lost time, call the police. I have a dog too, a female labrador, Lilla, if someone shot in she, I shot of back !
    Sorry my english, I´m brazilian.

21. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Sorry to here about Axle. That dog doesnt even look or act aggressive. That guy must be a totall pussy. He could at least ask you to keep your dogs in your yard first if in fact they were loose. Does he shoot the deer and birds I see on your road? What a douche bag!!!:mad:

22. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

You did fine, Impala65! :)

I love my dog. If anyone purposly harmed him, well, I don't know what I would do. It wouldnt be pretty.

But I also see the side of the farmers who might have livestock at stake. I'm guessing he wasn't shooting to kill. So you have that to be thankful for.

I'm lucky, Captain Jack is so cute, no one would have the nerve to hurt him. :)
    [​IMG]

23. 650hellcat

650hellcat
    from tejas

Would like to retract my earlier statement about hurting something\someone he loves, that is was stupid and I apologize. You need to call the police, animal rights activists and a couple of local tv news stations. Once it goes public his life will be miserable, locked up in jail and his family will have to live with the embarassment. Keep us posted on Axles recovery.

24. Scotch

Scotch

X2!

How anyone could do such a thing and look in the mirror the next day is beyond me. There's nothing as chickenshit as shooting a tame, innocent domestic animal from a distance.

I'm no PETA freak or anything, but come on...that's just weak.

Oh...and if MY dogs get loose and are running around on YOUR property, don't get your gun out and shoot my dogs. Go ahead and call Animal Control and take 'em to the pound so I'll have to pay to get 'em back. That's how we do stuff in 2007...y'know, all civilized and what not. Then, I'll learn my lesson and keep a closer eye on them.

PS- For what it's worth, my 2 dogs get walked around the neighborhood daily, and have a fenced-in yard too. All the neighbors know and like them, and they know where they live. My dogs are quiet, well-trained, and friendly to all people and other dogs. If they ever got out, odds are good a neighbor would just bring them home. I can't see living any other way.

~Scotch~

25. Dan

Dan

The neighbor lets her cats "out to play and run around for awhile, not hurting anything", my children cant play in the sandbox now cause its chock full of cat shit!
    I love my animals but also respect other peoples property and their rights. My animals are mine and I need to keep them on my property. Dogs are a pack animal and when roaming free they tend to revert to their pack mentality - no matter how much they act like they wouldnt hurt a thing.
    People have walked their dogs onto my property and seemed totally shocked when I chewed their ass for letting their dog shit all over my property. Where I live its a very rural community and if your animal roams onto anothers property it is to expected that something will happen.
    I am sorry for your dog and glad it sounds like he is gonna be okay, sounds like the neighbor couldve dealt with this differently (if he did in fact do it, you people kinda scare me when you assume he did the shooting just because he is a gun owner??)
    People who hurt animals are the lowest form of scum, people who protect their property, family, etc. are exercising their rights...

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You may not be able to legaly punish the guy. At least here, if a dog comes onto property where there is livestock, the property owner can (I believe) shoot the dog to protect his animals. With no witness it will be hard to prove just what happened to get the dog shot. Not sure what you can do.

27. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Man if any one ever shot one of my dogs...2 people would be involved. A cop and a coroner. I would definatly go with calling the cops out and have you girl save one of the bullets for balistics testing. If the cops don't help or jus kinda give up and you KNOW he did it...gut blows will never leave any marks and niether will a phonebook in a pillow case.
    Good luck and hope your pal get better fast.

28. Abomination

Abomination

No, man... intake manifold, under the air cleaner.

It's closer to the fresh air vent(s)... :D

Works even better than a whole bottle of skunk scent from a hunting store dumped under the front seat (or in the AC vents)!

~Jason

29. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

I'm sorry to hear about this, I hope he pulls thru with a full recovery. I live out on the edge of town/country and we have people that dump dogs and cats out here all the time. All the dogs and cats we've gotten are from the "Free to live" type places or from friends that got them. We've taken in several of these poor animals, but I just can't take on the burden anymore. I've got a wire haired mix hanging out in my yard now, crapping in my yard, tearing up my wife's flowerbeds, eating the cat's food (didn't realize this for a week). My lab (GraveDigger, my 6 year old son's favorite Monster Truck) stays in our back yard behind a 6ft chain link fence, but my neighbor across the street lets his big azz Saint Bernard roam the neighbor hood freely, using my yard as his private crapper. I let it go to an extent as he has to look at the junk yard next to my garage, but I'm working on getting it cleaned up and hidden.

30. "yes Captain Jack... you can have ALL my money, my hotrod, and ALL my parts collected...can i get you anything else?". why do you gotta look at me like that?

ha!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.