Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Examples and specs!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 6, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well since we have so many Hemi owners on here I thought I would add a place to the HEMI Tech section to show them off.

Post a couple pics or links to pics of your Hemi(s) here. Try not to go too crazy so we don't burn too much bandwidth.

After you post your pics tell us about your Hemi and try not to leave anything out of the details so the questions and comments don't get too thick on here. Tell us everything! (Cam, crank, pistons, rods, special touches, etc.)

Here's some links to a couple threads already started:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112948&&showall=1
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118816&highlight=Hemi+how

Hemiwoody likes this.
  2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay kids! Here's an update to this thread for you. We've got an awesome build going right here on the HAMB that you guys should check out, if you haven't already. I'm assured there are some more updates coming. I will update this post as they come in. Bored&Stroked has done an awesome job of puting this together for us! Thanks B&S!

Enjoy!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148597

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm actually surprised there isn't more to this thread! I know there are plenty of you here with Hemi's and know the specs on them. Post some pics or link us to a thread of your Hemi build. List some specs for us.

Let's see what's runnin' around out there!! :)

Scooter

4. 4tford

4tford

This is a link to a rebuild of a hemi www.hotrodsandhemis.com just click on the rebuild link parts 1, 2, and 3. Good info there.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

331" Hemi w/ 392 heads.
    Clay Smith cam, forged pistons.
    Hilborn converted to EFI
    Hunt mag / HEI
    Custom 4 into 1 headers.
    Scattershield, Richmond 5 speed.
    Custom water neck, alternator mount.
    O'Brien valve covers.

Attached Files:

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharin' man!

what cha running for pistons and what mods have you made to the block and/or heads to make it work out? What cha' runnin' for pistons? Tell us more! Looks good and Dennis puts out some nice aluminum products!

8. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

I bought this engine out of a stalled project in Denver in '01.
    I've got the machine shop receipts that list forged pistons, but not
    the mfg. I changed the heads to 392 because I didn't want the water
    outlets to run through the Hilborn manifold. I'm not at all familiar with
    EFI, and have a backup Weiand in-line 4 carb w/ 97's. Everything
    internally is balanced and blueprinted. We're going to dyno it, and set it
    up in Jan. I'll let you know how it turns out.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

My Little Brother.............what a Hemi Geek.:D

Get some balls, build a PONCHO!:p

12. What year 331 and how'd you get the dowel pins and water jackets (lower corners of the block) to line up with the 392 heads?

What's the second digit of the head casting number? Just curious.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I STARTED to build a 53, REMEMBER!!?? ;) Love ya' sis'!

If I was going to be any kind of geek, I would rather it be a Hemi geek! LOL!

Gathering the info for the HHR 392 Hemi build still. I'll post it right after...

14. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

I misspoke, it's a '54 engine w/ 354" heads.
    Hope to have it running in a couple of weeks, and I'll post
    the pics then.

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... here's a mother of a build for you! Very well done! Here's a build by Hollywood Hot Rods for ya'.

[​IMG]

(pics below are from Rod & Custom Magazine)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what's the car, you ask... Here you go!

[​IMG]

Here's what Troy says about it...

It is a 392 Hemi, that was originally slated to be built & run in the "Rat Trap" race car in the early 60's. I bought it still crated, untouched, un-rebuilt after being pulled from the donor car in the late 50's. The crate still had an old tag which read: "Milodan Engineering, Van Nuys"!

The engine has been rebuilt, .030 over, balance. 10.5:1 forged pistons, shot peened factory rods/ARP bolts. Double roller timing chain, hydraulic lifters, PAW camshaft (fairly big). PAW racing Harmonic balancer. Oil pan is cast finned aluminum by PAW, also works with the performance oil pump. All of the rebuild parts came from PAW.

Factory 392 heads, stainless valves, performance springs, adjustable rockers, re-conditioned rocker assemblies.

The valley cover is cast. It is readilly available from PAW, although the one on my car has been machined down in order to hide the injection. The finned water crossover is also a PAW unit. I used a big block Chevy pump, with adapter from PAW. The alumium timing cover is also a PAW unit.

The pulleys are early Glimer belt style of unknown origin, which I found at the Moon Eyes garage sale about 8 years ago & adapted to the Hemi. The lowmount generator bracket was fabbed by me.

The headers are lakes style. They are all stainless fabbed by us, with 2" primary tubes. The cone is actually a vertical oval, with finned aluminum cap. With sweeping bypass & hidden bypass connector.

Injection is a vintage Hilborn unit, with aluminum spacer plates that locate the hidden electronic injectors under the valley pan. Also the plumbing & wiring for the injctors is under the valley pan. The original fuel injector pressure lines run to a distribution block on the valley pan that looks like the barrel valve, but actually send a vacuum signal to the computer.

The distributer is a rare Spaulding Flamethrower, that has been fitted with dual electronic sensors (hidden inside) that sends RPM information to the computer, which in turn controls the dual coils. All timing is controlled by the computer.
    The computer is a Haltech EX6

The trans adapter is from my buddy Aaron of Savage Speed.

Thanks Troy!! Brilliant and beautiful build!! Wish I could HEAR that thing!! :D

16. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

1955 Chrysler 331 hemi, cut down GM HEI, Isky cam,Edelbrock carb, bored .30, adapted 396 chev water pump, melling 340 oil pump, homemade oil baffels in pan. After years of screwing around with my home made brackets and adapters I bought new ones from hot heads.

Attached Files:

17. Plug wires tied together makes for a really great-running engine. Betcha this really turns heads coming out of the trailer cause those plug wires won't last long, otherwise.

Can't say I'm a big fan of that goofy looing injection box either. If you want to run fuel injection,do it right w/o all the goofy spacers. It'd look better with the injectors visible if they took the time to lay it out.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

??

I guess that was directed at you Troy...

... wasn't expecting that from left field.

19. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I never forget! TOLD YA NOT TO SALES IT.:p You can come help me put mine together.:D

20. Scootermcrad, that hemi in the 32 is sweet, but I have to agree with desoto on the plug wires. wraping them is an invite to problems. Another thing, gilmer belts and fans dont mix. The belt harmonics combined with thefan harmonics cause the belt to fail prematurely. Im not trying to bash the car, just pointing out a few flaws so no one repeats them.

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All good man and I'm not saying I dissagree or anything. Just trying to decide if this is the thread to really discuss it in. Originally it was supposed to be more of a "show and tell" type thread, but I think it's okay to go ahead and comment here. Starting a thread just to mention those things would be a waste.

All good. Maybe Troy can comment on his thinking for the setup.

22. hhrTroy

hhrTroy
    from Burbank

Uhhh...o.k.

I guess your concern with the plug wires is cross firing? I think with modern plug wires & insulation this is not as much of a concern as it once was. We have built dozens (not 1 or 2) but dozens of cars with similiar wire arrangements (grouped & lightly bound with non-conductive material), small blocks, big blocks, hemis & flatheads with ZERO issues; including my blown coupe which has been on the road for 7 years. It is a common practice with many builders with similiar results.

The injection: it would look better with visible electronic injectors, modern fuel rails & plumbing, and exposed wires attached to the vintage Hilborn, in a traditional styled car? .uh.. No... I dont think so. I think that would totally ruin the overall impact/concept of the engine and car. You can see the difference by looking at the exposed injector systems on the Hilborn website. MY particular build style is to accent the characteristics that identify the mechanics of an engine: induction, valve covers, headers, igniton...then subdue ancillary (but necessary) items like wires, plumbing, generator, electronics...simplify the form, retain function, while keeping a traditional presentation. But.....that happens to be MY style...so opinions vary. I suppose I could have also put an alternator right up on top of the engine, ran some nice radial tires, a big electric fan, steel braided hose, & digital guages...I could have done alot of things different...BUT INSTEAD I decided to build my car my way.

Secondly that particular Hilborn system is no longer manufactured and fairly sought after, I really didn't want to drill, weld or modify it. I liked the idea of leaving it intact.

BUT again opinions vary.

I guess I better buy me one of them trailers...I don't have one.

Slayer, that is good information. I will definately keep my eyes on the belts. Haven't seen any problems yet. I had a hard time finding anybody that had any info on the setup that I have. Thanks for the tip. Luckily it is easily solved.:)

24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Here are a few phots of my latest project. 32 ford blown 354, tremec 5 sp, winters qc.

AGO

Attached Files:

25. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here is my 241 Red Ram..
    http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/STROMBERG97_2006/?action=view&current=241DodgeHemi_1.flv

.30 bore
    over size valves
    Mild H.H. grind cam.
    Adjustable rockers by Rocker Arm Spec.
    8:1 compression
    Everything is balanced
    Pertronix ignition
    Sanderson Headers
    reversed the oil pan
    340 oil pump
    3x2..Stromberg 97s.
    turbo 350
    12 bolt posi rear..
    It's running but not broke in yet about 300 miles on the road, due to the weather..
    IT's a HEMI..
    Duane.

Duane.

Attached Files:

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I should have posted this picture a long time ago!

This is DE SOTO's... err... Desoto! :D Maybe he'll jump on and give us the run-down on the specs and what he's done! AWESOME!

[​IMG]

27. overkillphil

overkillphil

That's what I'm talking about! Go Desoto!

28. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

DE SOTO's car rules. Note to anyone here-LISTEN TO THE MAN. He knows his shit.

29. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

[​IMG]

WELL, It aint as Bitchen as some of the Badd Ass Shit i been see'in Ya'all postin on here...:rolleyes:

11.5~1 Jahns Racing Pistons
    Clay smith Solid Cam & adj Push rods & 440 Chrysler lifters
    ARP internal fasteners
    S/S Valves & M/T Guids ..Hard seats
    Clean up Ported int&exh Ports
    Balanced
    Aluminum Flywheel & McCloud Clutch
    Vertex Magneto
    & i think you can see the rest :cool:

It aint Rocket Science .... Just a Hemi !!

This one is a REAL Engine built with an Era Correctness.. It aint hard to do Folks !!

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks DE SOTO! OH... does anyone have a video of this?? I was thinking someone got video footage of the Sport Coupe "making an entrance" at Primer Nats a couple years ago. If someone does, post a link.