Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to the HAMB, not a newb......

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Trimmer Len, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Hello, My name is Leonard and I live in the Kansas City area. I'm an auto upholsterer, specializing in custom interiors. I work at Hot Rod Express in Blue Springs,MO. I was raised in the auto trim business, and have done custom work exclusively for close to 20 years.

For most of that time I have not been in a position financially to build or buy a rod for myself. That has recently changed. I didn't hit the lottery or the like, mind you, but have gotten to a point that I actually have a little extra now and then. So I started a roadster pickup build that will be done in an old school style. I have gotten a little grief from others about some aspects of the build, so I will refrain from speaking about it for now.

I have enjoyed reading the posts here, and signed up to hopefully contribute and garner ideas and info.

2. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

HMMMM....gona havta keep your number handy for future reference.

Hells Bells, just jump right in and ask questions, that's what this house is for...

Welcome, sit back, relax, have a beer or three, and you be one of the old timers in no time.

HellRaiser

3. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Welcome aboard to the H.A.M.B. and I too will have to keep your number handy, a long drive but who cares?
    Lets see some pictures of your pickup.

4. Cruiser

Cruiser

Trimmer Jim,

Welcome to the fast lane on this web site, hold on for the ride! Since your a upholsterer you my be able to answer this question. In the Midwest and East Coast they call a traditional interior Rolls and Pleats were as we on the West Coast call it Tusk and Roll. Every time I hear Rolls and Pleats it doesn't sound right. Do you know were the term Rolls and Pleats came from, is it a upholsterer term?................

Cruiser :cool:

5. I do believe "roll and pleat" came from the trade itself. It is basically a description of the process of sewing the pleats. I find myself using both terms. I'm not sure of this, but the two terms could be describing two slightly different methods, also. Roll and pleat meaning to blind sew the pleats through the padding, and tuck and roll meaning to sew the pleats to a backing, and stuffing them individually.

But I could be wrong.

6. OK, I will go out on a limb and post some pics of my RPU. I hope I dont get flamed........

Attached Files:

7. Last few....

Attached Files:

8. In case anyone is wondering, this will be painted. Black on a red frame, maybe with silver suspension parts. Maybe.

9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

WAY cool Len!
    I hope you post more pics of this project as it progresses.

10. Latest pics. Got the rear suspension fabbed up.

Attached Files:

11. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I just bought an S15 2wd, V6, 5spd today. I have old Bug. Hmmmm
    This is REALLY tempting.
    But I guess I'll continue building the body of my rpu from scratch.
    Any "flaming" done yet? I hope not. It looks like you got sumpthin good goin on there.

12. 40chev

40chev

can't wait to see how it turns out....How are you going to do the windshield frame?? gonna cut the posts off the doors??

Very cool so far....keep up the great work....

13. The posts will be cut off at 8" tall, and filled at the top. Glass will be cut flat across the top and edge polished. Here is a "concept" pic I did in Corel Draw. I also used Draw to layout the frame profile. The drawing was created at 1:1 scale.

Attached Files:

14. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Just my opinion but I wouldn't cut them off. They would guide the windows and provide lots of strength. And look pretty cool.
    Again.. just my opinion.

15. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Sorry. You replied to 40chev before I hit send.
    I think you got yourself a little bit of interest here. :)
    Lots of old VW owners here.

16. Gizmo, this will be a true roadster, no side glass!:D I am glad to see some genuine interest in my project! It will surely help keep me motivated.

17. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Trimmer...
    In my part of the world if I want drive a vehicle for any length of time side glass is heavily desired.
    Nova Scotia is beautiful but sometimes our summers aren't long enough.
    If you need motivation just keep posting. There might be nay-sayers when they see vdub parts but there will be many more supporters.
    Especially with good looking work like this.

18. Too cold up there for me!

19. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Each to their own. ;)
    We're about like Maine for weather. Sorta.
    It's funny though... every now and then we usually get a traveller or two (I won't say from where) in July come across on one of the boats with skis on their cars expecting to see snow.
    True story.
    By the way.. what year is the bug?

20. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

now that thing is cool!!! and welcome!

21. David Chandler

David Chandler

That's slick! It's the right size and shape. Keep up the good work. Also New Hampshire isn't much warmer than Nova Scotia, so I know what he means about weather protection.

22. Thanks for the kudo's!

I forgot to mention the cool pieces I picked up today. My boss brought in the original cast aluminum gas pedal and cast iron brake pedal from his '36 Seagrave rollback project! I'll post some pics tommorow.

23. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Your boss have pictures of his project anywhere on the web?
    What drivetrain you going to run?
    Ya.. if I had lots of cash I'd have a nice weather ride and a closed-cab ride. Same with fenders. But we must have fenders (law) and with the weather and roads, open wheels just aren't fun all the time.
    So I'll have a well-sealed removable hardtop for my rpu. It will be my daily driver so it needs to versitile. The only time it will see a trailer is to pull one. ;)

24. There is one picture of it on this page.
    http://hotrod-express.com/past_projects_2.html
    He is building a new garage at his house for this thing. His existing garage is not high enough, and it will take up to much space at the company shop when the back half is added.

25. Glad to have you aboard. The V Dub project is tits man.
    Don't worry,you might get a little flack about it, but all and all they are looked at here as Hot Rods with tradition.
    There was a thread just last week that went pages.
    Just ask Jesse James.... I think he has a love/hate thing for them. Ha,Ha

26. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Len...
    I took a peek at the Seagrave. Looks like it's gonna be a nice one too.
    There are some sweet looking interiors on the site.
    Is Alvin your offspring?

27. Thanks, Gizmo. Alvin is my nephew. His old man(my older brother, "KC AL" here) is also a trimmer. The kid has a lot of raw talent. Has been with us for a few months, and has already indeared himself to the owners.

28. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Gee, Trimmer... talk about keepin' it in the family! ;)
    I can do a whole bunch of things. DONE a whole bunch of things.
    But wood and upholstery just seem (no pun intended) to escape me.
    I've shown and talked about your rpu to a bunch of people. They twist their head and say. "A bug? Huh?". That is until they see the pictures. Then they say, "Wow! A Bug!" and a big smile come on their face. I guess you got the goods.
    Did I miss what you were gonna run for an engine?
    Giz

29. For now the plan is a SBC and T350 setting in a van belonging to one of the owners. I am gonna be so deep in the "favor" list, I'll never get out!

We have kept in the family, for sure. My old man, as well as an uncle were trimmers.