Register now to get rid of these ads!

UGH! Parents! Kinda O/T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodRick49, Sep 27, 2007.

1. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

My parents are being totally un-realistic in this situation. Heres the skinny.
    I bought my daily driver, a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, and I changed as a person. I'm tired of it. I'm tired of things breaking and costing lots of money. As I'm browsing the paper today, I see an ad for a 1965 Impala SS with a 327, and a 4 speed for a very reasonable price. Something I would love to have as my daily driver. My step-father keeps quiet, becuase he wants me to get it, so he can drive it. My mother on the other hand, will not let me sell the car. I pay my own insurance, I paid for the car as well, and anything mechanical, or electrical, or anything that has happened to it. It really is my car.

How do I get my mom to break on this. The car, I could flip it, sell it and have the money in about a week. I'm sure of it. I know '65 is probably past the cut off, (I think its '62) and I could have a lot of fun with that, and my 49 Ford. What do I do?

-Rick

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

do your share of the household chores and more and mom will come around. Maybe spend some time acquainting her with older vehicles - things like they are safer because of their size and the quality of the metal back then is better than the thin stuff used on a 97. good luck.

3. How old are you? And do you live at her house?

Your mom thinks the newer car is safer for you than the 65.

If you are old enough to sell the car, then do it. She will get over it.

But if you live at her house, its a little harder for you to get your way.
    Thats just how it works...

4. crapshoot

crapshoot

what she dosent' know won't hurt her on the other hand you should respect you moms. so kiss her ass bro and let the step dad do some ass kissing too. she will have to give in

good luck

5. williebill

williebill

When I was 14,an old guy offered to sell me an A sedan for $50..
    My dad said no...
    When I was 17,I put down a $20 deposit on a 37 coupe..balance of $80...
    Dad said not a chance..lost the $20..
    When I was 20,my dad helped me buy a running 39 Ford sedan,with a 283..Cost $900...he finally gave in,maybe because I'd already moved out of his house..mostly
    Still got the '39,and I'm 55 now..
    Eventually,your mom won't be able to tell you what to do with your money

6. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Just do it, both of my parents were like that and refused to even let me own an old car. what is she going to do kick you out of the house for getting a different car, I got tired of the same dilemma my daily driver in high school broke down every couple of days and after driving it for nine months and having the engine finally give out on this wondermobile that my parents made me buy instead of the 72 satellite I originally wanted I put up a big stink and went out and bought a chevelle which was flat out one of the most reliable cars I owned and if it needed repair every tom dick and harry had parts for it and they were the cheapest parts to buy.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Hey, don't use the "safer because of size and the quality of metal" BS idea. Anybody knows that is BS in capital letters.
    Let's see, crumple zones, air bags, shoulder and lap belts, door guard bars, super anti-lock 4-wheel disc brakes, better handling...oh yeah that 65 has it all, doesn't it?
    Dump the Lincoln, buy the Chevy, use your head and drive it sensibly and your Mom will come around on the first ride.
    The trade-off is being noticed all the time(good and bad 'cause the Boys in Blue are watching too) and 15MPG or just being an anonymous nobody in a Lincoln like every Mustang and Camaro and Homda/Acura owner at any intersection and 30MPG.

8. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

I turn 19 in less than three months. I still live in HER house, so technically that goes without saying. The car is registered for me, and she has never paid a dime for anything on it, because I haven't let her. She knows about cars, shes an insurance broker, and knows the deal. My late-father, he had driven an old car all the time, no matter what it was a Big Block Chevelle, to a 38 Chevy sedan, everything in-between as well. She knows they too, can be reliable daily drivers. Hell my uncle Al, has been driving the same '38 Chevy for the past 14 years. This Lincoln EATS gas at a whopping 12 Miles to the gallon, and every part is a billion dollars to fix it. The car has every option and even a Play Station 2. (During my early days, I thought that was cool!) No NOS, InJen stickers or spoilers. It's actually a really nice clean car with no mechanical, electrical or visual problems. I don't need to spend 300 dollars on stupid shit that breaks on a Lincoln. Eff that yo.

I'm gonna go kiss some ass, this car won't last forever at the price it's listed. It's got exhaust, and thrust wheels. I'm happy.

-Rick

9. Frank

Frank

The main thing is...do you have the title in your name? Do you have it in your possession? Can't sell what ain't yours.

If you go through with it, at least that car is nice and roomy enough to sleep in. You might just have to if Mom won't let you back in for a while. :)

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

well, I'm always stressing to respect your parents and thier wishes... but I'd say go ahead and do it.

Your mom should see you making these decisions and be glad her son is being a responsible person, able to manage his own money. Just tell her that it's your car, you paid for it and all it's upkeep... and it's your choice in the end. She should see it as a learning opertunity...

make sure you dont get upset or mad at her, or you'll never get her blessing. Be respectfull, polite and calm when you explain your situation. and if you don't get the '65, then there will always be another car right?

11. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

I sold my el Camino one say when my parents werent home they were kinda pissed about it, but eventually they get over it.

12. alleyoop

alleyoop

tell the step dad to keep her happy and she will never notice and you all will be happy

13. 56savoy

56savoy
    from socal

I didn't ask when i unloaded that hulk(see pic at left).:D:D:D

14. S.F.

S.F.

just sell it and deal with her later

15. Volvo544special65

Volvo544special65

Yeah. What's going to happen? And after all, you are grown-up now. She needs to let you do your own decisions now.

16. GlenC

GlenC

From a parent's point of view...

You can get any old car you like, any old time you like.

You only ever get one Mother.

I run with 95% of what my five kids want to do, but if I honestly feel something's not right, I reserve the right, as their father, to have my say on the matter, and I expect to be both heard and my opinion respected. I don't lose it and kick them out if they ignore me, but you know what, at my age, I'm right far more than I'm wrong.

Sit down with her and ask why she doesn't want you to drive an old car. If she's concerned about the brakes or no seatbelts, then promise to fit discs and belts to the car within a week of buying it. If she's concerned that it's a heap of junk, get it assessed by a mechanic. If it's because your dad drove her mad with his crappy old cars, promise to keep it clean and not let it drip oil all over the driveway.

Good luck, Glen.

17. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

I noticed that you live in New York. Do you plan on driving this Chevy in the winter months also? :eek:

18. Dirty2

Dirty2

I like this one. There has to be a reason she wont let you trade. :confused:

19. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

dude...you dont need that from your mom. cover yourself with neck tattoos and keep the lincoln. ...that'll show 'er.

seriously, there WILL be other cars. the "great deals" eventually do keep comin up. i feel you though...good advice from all.

20. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

I'm not worried so much for the "deal" I might be getting on this car. I love the car, I always have. But a couple of months ago, I found an SS Nova someone was getting rid of, needed very little attention with a 4 speed, and I wasn't ALLOWED to sell MY car, which gets me mad, and I think I might just go ahead and do it.

21. This isn't advice, it is just an observation.

Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.

I made it through 35 years in the military using the above philosophy.

22. Rick who is paying the insurance? Go at the angle that this is a classic car and you will be able to pick up classic ins and save about 70% in it. in order to get classic ins you will also need a daily driver, you cannot get classic ins on a daily driver. If you get the Chevy you will also get an insurance break for having multiple cars registerd in your name also.

Good luck

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

At 19, you're considered an adult. If you have a job and am capable of supporting yourself, I don't see the problem. However, if you still need your parents, it's their house, their rules.

I moved out at 19 so I could do what I wanted..........until I got married. :(:(:(

24. Here's my take on the matter. I grew up in a big time car household, so I never had the problem of my parents telling me I couldn't have any car I wanted (I have paid for every single car I have ever owned-they've never paid a dime for the cars/trucks, parts, or insurance or gas), but I have been in similiar situations with them for other reasons. When I was about 13 or 14, I thought I needed to have my ears pierced (say what you want, it was cool then). My father said no, cuz he thought I'd be fuckin up myself and he thought it was stupid. I stayed on him about it, and eventually he gave in. A couple years later I wanted a dog. They said no, I stayed on them about it, and I got one (in fact, about a year later my mother asked me if I would get another one). I bought a brand new truck when I was 17, and as soon as I got it home I wanted to cut it up. They said I shouldn't, and wouldn't let me use the garage. Well I bought all the parts (hydraulic suspension, chassis parts, wheels, etc), and my dad gave in and actually helped me do all the work. Mom said no motorcycles-pushed that issue and now myself and both my brothers, and my father ride.
    Basically what I'm gettin at is most of the time parents say no to what they don't understand. Granted, now that I'm 30 I could care less about the ear piercings, and in hindsite could of done without it. But for the most part if you're a good kid, and don't get in to tons of problems, chances are your mom will come around. If not, just do it. She will have no choice then.

25. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, not a good idea to salt up a decent old car.

If you don't like the rules, why not move out? You're old enough. I bought my first house when I was 18 (about 8 years ago). When you live by yourself, you can do anything you want. (you can do anything you want, but you don't because you're broke all the time)

26. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

tell your mom you want something that gets better gas milage.

27. tjm73

tjm73

Be the adult that you already are. You make decisions that are in your own best interest. You should value you mother's input, but make your own decisions. She is not allowing you to be an adult and make your own choice. It may be right or it may be wrong. But, ultimately it's your choice.

She needs to let you step out of the nest.

28. nihilist

nihilist
    from Miami, FLA

If you already have the money keep both cars. Make both of you happy, tell your mom its an investment.

29. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

This is all cool, but do you pay room and board to live in your folk's house? If not, you're not legally but ethically under your mom's control because she's supporting you. If you do contribute to the household in whatever way, even by doing work there, sell the Linc and go buy the Chevy if you'd like. But I'd discuss what you are planning to do as one adult to another with her first. As many have said, you only get one mother.

Good luck!

Jan

30. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

No offense, but screw your mom. Your car, your money. Do what makes you happy. Eventually she'll get over it.