Register now to get rid of these ads!

60s Vans making come back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I think the pap guys were having fun with the chalk, there is something suspicious bu the other girls butt as well...
    This would have been the perfect vehicle for that hamber that wanted to piss off his county junk vehicle guy... Imagine this parked out front for the neighbor hood kids...
    too bad they squished it, think about how many old rods and customs have gone this way over the years...
    I remember a 69 chev van , chopped probably 12 inches running around town in the 70's when I was a kid;then I remember seeing it at the dump one day. Now its gone

2. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

JONZ...know how you feel. Had a'56 ford with a 433 CJ motor. It had Glass front fenders ,4-speed, and a straight southern, no rust body. Had to sell it ....later saw it ON top of about an 8 car stack at the junkyard. Guy who bought , ripped out the motor, put in a mustang to go street racing .Went back later and Squash.

3. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

JK, since that van was in OK. I would'nt be surprised if you see Guyman rolling around in that at the next swap meet.

He loves them vans.

4. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Somebody started a new thread about Econolines...whats going on?...chevy guys -return fire. Wish I still had my 78 cost $5800. NEW

5. brewsir

brewsir

My favorite van ever was Arlen Ness' Chopped and sectioned arrow straight and black mid seventies econoline. I saw it for sale in a classic car trader or some such mag for about 10K probably 10 years ago....wish I had the cash!

6. OLLIN

OLLIN

YEAH! i remember seeing it in one of my uncles Harley books when I was a kid. It was pretty cool!

Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo is another good one to look up...

7. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

I'm actually rebuilding a 71 VW bus as my shop truck.

Parts are cheap... One ton rated... 22mpg... got a little character too. (Grin)

Anybody have one of those old "Gas grass or ass nobody rides for free" bumper stickers?

8. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

yeah i had to go to the back door

9. I was at that show! I was all of two years old at the time and remember none of it :(. I showed this video to my dad and he freeked. started telling me about the van tug-o-war. Two 4x4 vans from his club (Just Truckin Ltd)faced off against some bad ass van with a blower and four wheels on each axel. He, along with a bunch of guys from the club, jumped in the vans for extra weight. Just after telling me the story, the actual footage of it came on screen in part two of the video. It is cool to be able to see one of my dads stories come to life.

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I was at that show! I was all of two years old at the time and remember none of it :(. I showed this video to my dad and he freeked. started telling me about the van tug-o-war. Two 4x4 vans from his club (Just Truckin Ltd)faced off against some bad ass van with a blower and four wheels on each axel. He, along with a bunch of guys from the club, jumped in the vans for extra weight. Just after telling me the story, the actual footage of it came on screen in part two of the video. It is cool to be able to see one of my dads stories come to life.[/quote]

Thats the good stuff ;)

11. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I guess my parents must have considered that mission accomplished having gotten both (a)hitched and (b)having produced 2 girls. That van is such a part of my childhood. I can remember taking lots of trips to North Carolina to pick up 'good' cars and sleeping in the big old van. Even though it is black my mom called it an easter egg since it has no windows. I call it the oven. We even used to pull my drag car with it.
    Ok, I have to pull it out for photos now.....

12. That van was on sale on ebay about a year ago....it was still in the bay area......its red now............still KOOLER than any bike arlen ever built....seems all the Kool bikes came from Ron Simms (just my opinion)

13. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

hey meatball did you have any pics of that ness van? the only ones I have seen are the size of a postage stamp!

14. I've got a bunch of old Van mags at home....I will look thru them and see what I can find,I was thinking about the early morning (about 1979?) on I-5 going over grapevine into L.A. it was foggy as hell and I was riding my rigid panhead when this killer van passed me,yep this one,they drove the hell out of it

15. this is all I can find one A Ness

Attached Files:

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

this may be the coolest van ever.
    [​IMG]

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Back in the 70's when I was a kid, we made van models of ones we found in the van mags.
    Started with stockers, chopped our own roofs, etc........
    I remember this one, side door dropped down like a porch, called the Gladiator. It was white/red interior. I'd LOVE to see pics of that thing again.

18. I'll show ya some next time your over...NOW BACK TO WORK!!!:D .........really I will see if I got some to post

19. my kid bro is (was?) a mid-sixties falcon club member as a kid and stumbled upon a mid-60's Ford Falcon van which we promptly drug home. just like the econolines but with windows. still sits in dad's shop. a guy on my way to work recently began work on a 70's VW van (or is that fan, or wan??? took spainish, not german...) this guy's got the suspension out as of last week.
    don't call it a comeback, they've been here before.
    jml

20. Post #33 this very thread.
    [​IMG]

Did you hear about the happy roman? He was glad-he-ate-her.:)

21. CruZer

CruZer

Are vans making a come back??? My friend Rick sure hopes so. Here's a pix of his '68. It still has all of the shag rugs in it. Two years ago we presented him with a "shag carpet rake " that a buddy found in a closet. I never knew they even made such a thing but they did.
    The van has a stock 6 with split exhaust and glaspacks.

Attached Files:

22. We had one of those in our house in the 70s.

23. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

[​IMG]

I dunno, most the folks I know rocked them as kids in the 60s and still rock them today. I don't think 60s Vans went anywhere.:D

24. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man - it's catching on. I thought I was having flashbacks.

25. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Here is my 1964 Ford Econoline Pop Top Camper van.

Is is for sale in the classifieds section, check it out!!!

[​IMG]ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

26. Texas Bob

Texas Bob
    from Las Vegas

I was trying to sell this 66 GMC on the board about 6 months ago. Was asking $1000.00 and had no real interest. Decided to keep it. I've put some work into it and would probably let it go for 1500 now. Daily driver too.

Attached Files:

• van2.JPG
      van2.JPG
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
  27. ironhunter

ironhunter

Those who jump on bandwagons many times find themselves a long way from where they wanted to be, a long way from where they originally started, and even farther from their friends...

But to the topic! When I was in high school (late 70's) there was a buddy of mine that had a "Scooby" van (mid-60's ChevyVan) with a mid-mounted 454, 9", and homemade ladder bars that must have been 4' long. He'd wrecked his SS Chevelle and found a new use for the 454 and TH400, which ended up being something a hell of a lot more to contend with than that Chevelle could have ever been. With the engine mid-mounted, more weight was on the rear which made that thing hook up like nothing I'd ever seen on the street back then. When he stomped it and it did hook up, that shifted even more weight on the rear and that little van would rear up like a bear. It was to me one of those things that you never forget. Recalling that night the first time I saw him drive it, and this thread, makes me want to drag the little 61 Econoline in the shop and play :D

28. like these??

Attached Files:

29. roddinron

roddinron

The possum van.

Attached Files:

30. This thing may be in one of the old Show World programs I've got put back. I'll post it if I find It in it's glory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.