Register now to get rid of these ads!

Points eliminators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bolsa boy, Sep 19, 2007.

1. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

Have any of you used these Point Eliminator Kits that you see at auto parts stores? If so how well do they work are they worth the the purchase?

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've used "Pertronics" with good luck. Heard the "Mallory" uni-lites were problematic.

3. DrJ

DrJ

The HAMB is a traditional hotrod board.

Points are traditional.

4. pitman

pitman

Hmmm, point well taken! Some kind of gap, here perhaps?

Come to think of it, could be it's a fib, -er, block?

Maybe I'm writing in a vacuum? Advance some advice there Cap!

Comments "looming" just around the "curve"?

5. Try a Boyer Brandsen transistor unit. Doesn't eliminate the points but takes the load off them by just using the points to trigger the HT side of things.

More importantly it gets rid of the condensor - a major source of unreliability these days. You just can't buy decent quality condensors any more.

Costs about £20 and has been around since the early 1960's - it's about the size of a mobile phone or a small pack of cards so can be hidden anywhere.

http://www.boyerbransden.com/

6. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

It's alright man, I wouldn't dwell on it.

7. pitman

pitman

I am In-capacitated!

Touche'

8. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I've got pertonics kits on my 283 and my 360. Several years with no problems.

9. synthsis

synthsis

wow. talk about close minded :rolleyes:

10. Ole don

Ole don

The Pertronics unit is very good, when combined with the proper coil. A points eliminator will do just that, eliminate the points, it will not repair a screwed up dizzy. If the dizzy is in good shape, the unit will give years of trouble free service. No points sysem can say as much.

11. budd

budd

i like my points, never let me down.

12. DrJ

DrJ

If ya can't take a joke, stay off the BEACH! :rolleyes:

(Or if you can't tell when you're reading one....)

13. synthsis

synthsis

it's hard to tell these days if someone is serious.

point taken. haha.

14. can anyone tell me how to sharpen my points when they become dull?

15. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

The Crane XR-i unit gets its signal from the points cam in the dizzy so you don't need extra bits and pieces like a shutter wheel. Fairly inexpensive compared to the other units out there.

16. Ford Fairlane

Ford Fairlane

I'm running the Pertronix I in the Fairlane, no problems for over two years.

17. stuck in Pertronix 1($70), 40,000 volt JCWhitney coil($20) and 8mm Accell wires($35) and gapped my plugs at 45-50. Not a problem once and haven't touched it in 4 years, 25,000 miles ago.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

5 years with a Pertronics in my SBC. Sure looks traditional from the outside. I figured it would be OK since I couldn't find any 1932 pigeon shit to put on the hood or any 1948 air to put in the tires.:rolleyes:

Frank

19. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

This thread has taken a strange curve :)
    Dave

20. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I bought it all last year and next week ill prolly make my final sale on the bay and we will have a celebration party cause im gonna retire on everyones traditional money... :D :D Ive only got 40 lbs of bird shit and a gallon and a half of the air and im lucky cause its winter air and fall is comming.
    Dave

21. InPrimer

InPrimer

Petronix in my son's flatty, best move we ever made, starts right up and no more field repairs with a flashlight and a book of matches

22. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I have the pertronix kit in mine, and used it on several customer vehicles when i worked at an automotive shop (general repair). i have never had a prob with any of the kits i installed. the only way you know they are there is if you pull the dist. cap off. and they are really, really easy to install. if it takes more than 20 min. you are doing something horribly and tragically wrong.

23. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

Great guys. Thanks. Thats why i thought that if they work it would be better then having a huge HIE distributer on there. I know its probably not TRADITIONAL but it's sure more reliable.

24. Thumper

Thumper

So I guess running my fire injectors with points is ok?:)

25. ray

ray
    from colorado

i've use Pertronix and Accels points eliminator kits. they both do the job, at least the pertronix did until it shit the bed a month ago after several years.

but really, what i'd do if performance was ANY kind of issue, is stick to the points dizzy to keep the original look, throw in some good quality points while your at it, they're gonna last forever......because you're gonna just use the points to trigger a MSD or similar ignition!:D it'll cost a few bucks more, but not much, but deliver a much better spark, and in the event of a failure, are easier to troubleshoot than the points eliminator kits. every parts store carries them too, so they are easy to find in a pinch.

26. Reverend_Grimm13

Reverend_Grimm13
    BANNED
    from Yucaipa

Pertronix...Easy little drop in unit with thurough instructions,and it works well with the existing coil...No problems so far.....