Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long trip (and i mean LONG) this winter... good idea or bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old-Soul, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Well, my life has come to a grinding halt... I feel stuck in a rut and I'm having a real hard time getting out of it... I need a little getaway, but with money on low supply and having just started a new job... I'm thinking that I may need to take a break this winter, and do what my dad did when he was my age. Only this time, I'd be setting out in mid-winter and instead of a Duster, I'll be taking my '53 Chev.

According to both Google Maps and Mapquest... the whole thing should take 23 hours, and be 1600 miles... I call bullshit :p

[​IMG]

that would be the route... apperantly. This would be the biggest undertaking of my life, so far, and I'm only making the trip if my friend Ashley comes along. Do you guys think it's a good idea? should I leave my '53 at home and take my '98 Sierra? or her Toyota? The 235 is being rebuilt as we speak (again... but thats an altogether different story I'm much to angry to talk about) and the car, mechanically, works great *knock on wood*. We'd be setting out in the middle of winter, but in December it's usually pretty good here.. no huge snowstorms or anything yet...

And since we'll be doing this on limited funds, what are some tips? anyone got somewhere we can crash on the way through your town? Anyone wanna make the trip with us?

2. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

It takes exactly 21 hours and 17 minutes to get from my house in Spokane, to my former house in Kearney Mesa, San Diego, thats NON stop except for gas and "bathroom" breaks!!! You shoud be O.K. stopping in Frisco!! I am heading down to L.A. in mid October, so a little sooner than you are leaving, other wise I would be happy to hook up with you...Peace, and good luck!! I am in that SAME rut, but am going down there to scope it out to MOVE THERE!!!!!..Ken

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

right on man! I'm worried about my car, but hell... if it was easy it wouldn't be called life, right?

good luck on your trip man, it would be rad to meet up with some people but I'm sure I will see someone on the way! I mean, Cali if the birthplace of cool cars.

4. Sounds like fun. Too bad I'm not allowed to have any! ;)

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

rubberrodder, if I acctually pull it off it will be the second time in my life I've left Canada, my first trip to California and the most amount of time I've spent in any vehicle, ever. (Well, unless you include Combines or Tractors...)

I've got my fingers crossed on this one...

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

They way I figure long trips is to take your mileage and figure you're going to AVERAGE only 55 miles per hour...wait...hold on...!!! That average includes pee stops, lunch stops, gas stops, sight-seeing stops, pee stops, gotta-get-something-to-keep-me-awake stops and soda stops...so, with that kind of average, 1600 miles is gonna take you 29...

Yeah, you can up your average by the speed you actually drive and how many stops you make...but all in all, average is average...your mileage may vary.

I don't think December in Montana is all that bad...yet...and same in Washington...once into Oregon you may have more rain than snow...and northern Cali isn't that bad anytime of the year.

Now to back up my thinking, it's 759 miles from Denver to Joplin, Missouri, for the HAMB drags...we left Denver at 7:10 AM on a Thursday morn, driving every two lane we could find on the way there( I hate Interstates) ...we arrived in Joplin at 8:30 PM Central Daylight time (that's one hour ahead of Denver time...so...going by Denver time, it took us 13 hours and 20 minutes...that's a bit less than 50 mph average.

R-

7. I know that a lot of the HAMB faithful will probably think - or type a response - "PUSSY", but if I were in your shoes, I'd maybe take the Toyota or the Sierra (whatever that is).

Not because the newer car is more comfortable/practical (although it probably is), but because you say money is tight. And that means a) gas mileage, and b) if the old chev were to break... it's always a real drag when something breaks a long way from home when you're broke.

I know you're not going to be near Seattle, but wave when you pass I-90.

-bill

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

thanks for the advice guys.

You guys don't have Sierras? thats a GMC pickup... haha

the inline in my 235 might be better on fuel then my pickup... but I don't really know for sure. (fuel gauge doesn't work... hmm... perhaps I'd better fix it)

9. 55olds88

55olds88

I say do it, but break it up a little, 1/2 the fun is gettin there.

10. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

I'm getting along in years and I can look back on LOTS of long trips with fond memories. By taking the '53 you will not be taking a trip but feeding the memory bank. Go back and rewatch the movie WORLDS FASTEST INDIAN.

11. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Is it really smart to take a road trip when you are tight on money? I'm not trying to be a buzz kill, just thinking responsibly. If I misread something, then just forget I said anything.

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

money is money, I know... But I think my mental health needs this more then my wallet needs the bills

13. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

Looks like you are starting from Olds Alberta.

14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Red Deer... pretty close to Olds

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

Hmm, '53 235, is it full pressure (powerglide '53, or a newer engine maybe)? I would be hesitant to take a freshly overhauled engine on that long of a road trip (not that I haven't, that's why I'm hesitant:(). If it's not a babbit pounder, and youve got the gears for it, I'd reccomend going for it.

Just get a few thousnad miles on it first (basically the first oil change worth) if you can. See what you can do to scape up some extra cash too (like I need to tell ya that;)) cause a 'Burt Munroe' budget trip is only fun if you are trying to achieve the culmination of your life's work at your destination (like Burt did).

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've gone on very long trips with my Olds, and later my 54 Chevy, pretty much every summer, sometimes more than one trip. GREAT time almost every time!
    My suggestion: don't worry about how long it will take. If you're driving an old car, you WILL have problems. AND you'll meet some nice folks at almost every stop. Take your time to see the country, talk to the people, and enjoy the scenic routes, not the highways. Sometimes it's better than the time you spend at your destination!

17. Phil1934

Phil1934

I see it as a 3200 mile trip, unless you are selling the car and flying home.

18. JoeG

JoeG

Being as land locked as you are up north, it would be my preference to head over to Vancouver and then drive the coastal route down to the Bay area. The pace will be more leisurely and the scenery is fantastic. Nothing better than the salt air with the windows open.

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

well, I was really looking forward to this trip... but she's not so sure she wants to do it. She thinks it's a ploy to 'win her back'

Damn, she's to smart.

20. Marko

Marko

Seeing how you are from the North, I'm sure you will be prepared for winter conditions. Chains? GOOD sleeping bags? Shovel & sand? Flares? Take your time, enjoy the scenery, have a great trip!! Take pic's. Keep us posted. Mark

21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Sounds like a blast to me

22. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

Hell, I get worried taking my car 10 miles from home! :p

23. James Curl

James Curl

This summer my friend and myself drove my 48 Plymouth 4 door with modified flat head I/6 from just north of Austin Texas to Hot August Nights in Reno and then to Bonneville for speed week and back to central Texas, total of 4600 miles. Started out running 55-60 on secondary roads and ended up driving 70-75 on I-10 from El Paso to Junction which has an eighty mph speed limit. No trouble except for an oil change and grease job at Park City Utah which cost me $38.00 and I furnished the oil and filter. Used 352.78 gal. of gas. Gas ran from 2.85 to 3.40 per gal on the trip or 12.69 MPG. Gas was the most expenseve single item.

24. Cword

Cword

Posts today are bringing back old memories.

Take the 53, you'll have a much more memorable trip that way.

Yes you can do that leg in less than the 24 hours google says. My buddies and I did in my '65 Mustang back in '83 (Calgary to SF)

If you have more time, rather than knocking yourselves out on that first leg you could take some pointers from Denise and make a tour of the trip, visiting HAMBers along the way.

Mike

25. belair

belair

Better be sure the car AND the passenger are able and willing to make the entire trip.

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm all for roadtrips, and trust me I've taken ALOT in old cars BUT I prefer warmer weather ones. Breaking down on the side of the road is bad enough, it does happen and you just have to deal with it, BUT add cold temps to trying to do a roadside fix and, well, it's just not something that appeals to me.

If it were me, I'd wait till spring, save up some more money and then go for it in a proven car that you've been cruzn around for 5 months longer.

AND if I'm reading between the lines, your waiting to do this with an ex-girlfriend??? Boy are you asking for trouble.:eek:

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

What about a Harley? You'd save money on gas. Just thinkin out loud here.

28. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

I hear you on hating interstates,unless I'm in a big rush. I'd rather take my time and see America, or Canada,and enjoy the trip.

29. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Why try to do it in as little time as possible. Stretch it our and enjoy the trip. Dont set any schedules or deadlines. Stop an look at everything you want to along the way. The Joy is in the Journey.

30. budd

budd

is you path set in stone?, head on into BC and then down the coast line.