Register now to get rid of these ads!

Figerglass 32s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JayD, Sep 15, 2007.

1. JayD

JayD

I've finally decided to build a '32. I've sold my '53, so now it's time to gather parts. I'm thinking of going with a Pete and Jakes roller for the base, and I've thought about steel...................but, I think I wanna do 'glas.

My question is, what is the best body for the buck. It seems that everyone is making them and I would like to know how they compare.

I need your input, please.

J

2. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Check out the Kilbourne body i am very happy with my car.;)

3. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

I used a Rod Bod from Squeak Bell NO WOOD at all and side inpack in the doors
    Good body
    Dave

4. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Ditto on that...I'm quite happy with my Kilbourne car as well.

5. JayD

JayD

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

I know Gibbon isn't around anymore, but I have happened onto a gibbon body.........guess I should say, I've heard about a Gibbon body not too far from me. (I could pickup easily) I haven't heard price yet.

Anybody familiar with them? I was always of the impression that they were good too.

J

6. JayD

JayD

Good look'in car Joey!! That's the one I'm lookin for............maybe not THAT nice!!:)

[​IMG]

BTW, what are those big ole headlights?? brand? I luv'em

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Early Gibbon stuff was great. Many name cars were built with Gibbon
    bodies, BUT after the move to NC from NE the quality seems to have gone straight to hell. Somebody new owns the Gibbon moulds so we'll have to see how that works out.
    Gibbon bodies were panel built like steel ones rather than one big multipiece mould for the body and separate ones for the doors etc.

Best is probably Wescott, then Poli-Form, then maybe Bear, and Kilbourne, and on and on and on.

8. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I know Gibbon isn't around anymore, but I have happened onto a gibbon body.........guess I should say, I've heard about a Gibbon body not too far from me. (I could pickup easily) I haven't heard price yet.

Anybody familiar with them? I was always of the impression that they were good too.

Gibbon made a good sturdy body. Well supported and nice fitment. I think Kyle and his dad are still squeezing out a few bodies in Nebraska.

9. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Thanks man! I love 'em too... they're repro stock 32 headlights...on a So-Cal headlight bar. Here's a better pic. As far as Gibbon 32 goes, I can't really say, but my buddy has a Gibbon 34 roadster that was built in 1991 and he's put over 65,000 miles on it with no problems, fit and finish is as good as my deuce at least. (it's the yellow car beside mine in this pic actually!)

Attached Files:

10. hdv32

hdv32

I just picked up an early Gibbon 32 Five Window Coupe and am very pleased with what I am seeing. The only thing is the way they attach to bottom of the firewall and fromt floor section. Good luck.

11. Gibbon built a good body,,,I had a 32 3-window and a 39 convert,,,both bodys were well built.

If the price is fair you can't go wrong,,,,HRP

12. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I have a later gibbon roadster body that I picked up at a swap as a roller with a frame and axles.. The body is shit! Ill fix it though . I pretty sure its one of the last bodys they did.. I think Kyle was on drugs when they did this one ... Ill prolly be back to the body the end of next week. My frame is almost done and I can even fire the engine.. Ill have to post some body pics later.
    Dave

13. I love this car. Maybe someday........

14. TimDavis

TimDavis

I guess you are looking for a roadster - Wescott.

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

With Wescott being $10,800. a copy I would rather have a Brookville,
    There 3 Window is $19,500. !

16. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Amen to that...IMO Wescott fiberglass bodies may be nice, but for $10,800 you can darn near have the car half finished instead of just looking at the nice body you bought. Not knocking Wescott's quality, just seems like a ton of loot for what's still gonna be viewed by most as "just" a 'glass car anyhow.

17. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My '29 has a Gibbon body. In more than 25 years and 130,000 miles it hasn't given me much to complain about.

18. silent rick

silent rick

so what does everyone think about heritage. i thought i remember reading nic32vic's was from heritage.

19. downunder55

downunder55
    from australia

check these out from the land downunder, www.deucecustoms.com au , he has been shipping up there for a while now and has probebly the best glass bodies on the market today, i had a 34 roadster body that was 10 years old , not one problem with it , and with the exchange on your dollar you get a pretty good deal, also ken is a real stand up guy , well worth a look..........

20. reichart90

reichart90

my dad has a downs 5window body and its great quality... www.downsmfg.com

or

the alliance member rjays has a GREAT deal on a setup
    www.rjays.com ... i think

21. Mopar34

Mopar34

Wescott and Downs are two of the best known, but N&N Fiberglass and Bear Fiberglass both have excellent reputations for high quality bodies. I recommend that you check those out as well as any others you might choose. All have web sites.

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Deuce Customs from down under. Best bodies on the market. Each body is made from an original mold off a steel car. Needs no body work before painting. Fit and finish is next to none.

I had a JRS 3 window coupe. Fit and finish was terrible. Needed a lot of body work. I used a SAC chassis, which was great.

If you look at "Grouchos" threads on his 32', I believe it has a Deuce Customs body.

23. Groucho's is a Rod Bods by Elvis. Also from down here. Quite a few US HAMB guys are using them. Limeworks and Squeek are both selling them. GMT in HB was distributor for Deuce Customs, but he's shut shop. Last I heard SoCal Vegas was selling them, which kinda says any SoCal outlet should be able to supply.

Re. Gibbons, all the positives are "old days" bodies. Haven't heard a single good thing since they moved, which is some time ago. That would suggest the new ones are crap.

Bear coupes I've seen have the windshield moulded in. That's pretty gay.

24. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

KIWI KONNECTION has these down under bodies in stock that are much higher quality than bodies like Wescott that require much time to correct mold imperfections and fit.

25. JayD

JayD

Brookville '32 roadster is $10500 plus shipping. I'm not sure what all that includes, I'm sure it's probably bare bones.

Hmmm, I need to put together a grocery list.

J

26. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

I have a buddy who builds these cars and he uses N&N Fiberglass out of Belleville, Arkansas. The cars come out great and look just as good when he gets one. Plus the people that make them are friendly and helpful. http://www.nnfiberglass.com/Home.html Good luck. :cool:

27. Mootz

Mootz

Dayumm! Glad and sad to hear that the '53 sold. I was looking around last night and noticed that Pete and Jakes is also a Brookville dealer. Didn't know if you knew that or not. Maybe they could throw a packaged deal together? A man of your financial stature shouldn't have any problems:D

Mootz

28. TimDavis

TimDavis

Once you have built a Wescott, you understand why. In my experience they are the easiest body to build. And they look like a stock Ford when you are done. They have all the bumps, ribs, hinges, and holes like a stocker. The small details that make them just go together is what makes the difference. One example that comes to mind is the inside door handles. Stock '32 inside handles and actuating rods just bolt it...like a stock '32. I don't know of any other glass bodies that accept stock parts like that.

The B-ville ends about about 2500 more, after you get a firewalll, floor, stanchions, etc...I've built them also, but they are considerably more work to get bolted down, shimmed, doors fit, panel alignment, etc. That is just the nature of a steel car.

The only two real considerations are B-ville and Wescott in my opinion. I have heard a lot of nice things about the Aussie bodies, and am looking forward to seeing one in person. So the basic choice is do you want glass or steel?

I've built, owned, and driven both. My personal car now is a Wescott.

29. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Did you see the 32 roadster body in the HAMB classifieds for $2400? Even if you had to do some work to make it perfect you can do ALOT of work (or even pay someone else to) and still be a far cry from 10 g's. When its painted and finished no one cares who made the body.

30. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Lone Star Classics bodies?