Register now to get rid of these ads!

60s Vans making come back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

I worked at CUSTOM VANS Inc. ,Danbury,Ct. from '75-'78 as their lead painter. We did tons of dealer conversions. Plus the "retail" custom jobs. Will dig out some stuff when I get the time to post. We got on the Sept '77 cover of Van World Magazine with a conversion we did on the first 4WD van on the east coast .Got Best Paint at the Hartford Truck & Van show in '78.What killed it all was the "Gas Crisis". dealers couldn't get Van stock unless they ordered more gas-mizer compacts...same for Car makers ...couldn't make em by Fed. Reg. We went to doing Pick-up conversions ,then eventually shut down. Lot of Clubs back then,lot of events. Don't see way It can't be brought back. "If This Van's a-Rockin...Don't Bother Knockin"

2. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Somebody's gonna ask....what's this got to do with the Hamb. I say...'60's, customizing, a lot of us had one ,another outlet for individualizing a ride. ? what say you?

3. Goodies-SpeedShop

Goodies-SpeedShop

4. I had SPIRIT the painter/striper (Portland,Ore) do my van and f100 in the late 70s...he is still doing that stuff today.....glad to see these things coming back!...he lettered my dash in my a100 :VANS be the 1st to the scene of the accident"...something about sittin in front of the front wheels

5. I'd say your about right becuase this subject keeps coming up.....and this is like page 4:D

6. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I like these vans and yes this is a good H.A.M.B. thread.

Attached Files:

7. Lotta dope smoke rollin off this clip:

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Thats Like Mad Fabricators for Vans...AWESOME!

9. I'll bet your date's Daddies and Mommas loved to see you show up on Saturday night.

10. That's funny!! A "de-shagged" van - the total antithesis of the whole 70's van experience. I thought the aim of having a van was to get shagged. ;)

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

Sigh ... this is REALLY making me miss my 65 Econoline. So many good times and crazy times in the back of that thing. I traded it for my current project, a 50 Chevy coupe. Weird coincidence that, I wanted this car but he was asking more than I had. I jokingly said, "What'll you take in trade?"
    He replies without missing a beat, "A 60's mid-engine van." I brought pics and the trade was made. Of course, it's right after I lose the van that they suddenly start becoming desirable again. Figures.

12. this is FOR SALE in St Louis, Mo Craigslist
    [​IMG]

13. this corvair 95 panel van is for sale, it would be a cool assed support vehicle for someone. $600 gets it.

Attached Files:

14. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Gigantor> "Dumb Trades" sounds like the start of a great Thread.(Watch For It)...MINE: traded a '50 Ford woody wagon WITH ,get this , Canadian Police Flathead from a modified stock car, '49 Thickston Hi-Rise manifold with two Holley Bug-spray carbs, Reds Tube Headers, BEI Distributor on flathead shaft modified by "Ronnie Roadster"-Ct.,, Nascar firewall mount remote Oil Filter,Hurst out of production Shifter, Fiberglass front fenders by original supplier to J.C.Whitney-still had the molds, Rolled & pleated interior, and a buch of other cool details down to the early sixties period correct Surf shop decals.......FOR: My First Computer..this was 17 years ago. Now all together...DUH

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

Dino - thanks for making me feel better. I'll get way more fun out of my 50 Chevy than I will ever get from a computer, especially one that's 17 years old ...Hindsight is 20/20, eh?!

16. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Of course that computers long gone...think is was a 286 or something with great big floppy discs. Am searching for all the old Van Shop stuff....Glad I never throw anything out...just can't remember where I put it all. The Chebby's cool man.

17. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

EVEL:got any truckin video or music ???

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

here is the van i had.It had a 375 horse small block and 4.11 gears. Got a wife, had to lose the van.

Attached Files:

19. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

does anyone remember the mural of the viking on a sled, pulled by a pack of polar bears? i remember seeing many versions of this theme when i was a kid. that and star wars.

20. Oh finally, my random picture taking pays off. Feast your eyes on this beast I found at a local pull-a-part.

Titties.
    [​IMG]

A/C on the OUTSIDE of the dash, bro.
    [​IMG]

I'm diggin' the Galaxy front end grafted on here.
    [​IMG]

Peep the Vista Cruiser top too.
    [​IMG]

21. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

that's even better. that makes my day:)

22. T-Bone

T-Bone

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I would be BEGGING for them to sell that to me

23. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Is that a scratch or is something dripping out of the girl in the middle??

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

That van is in GOOD shape.
    I'm NOT into murals but...it isn't bad, AND its as "politically IN-correct" as you can get!!! LOL

Thats some good raw material there.

25. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Shes just excited to get her picture taken...it's been awhile...;)

26. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Notice the olds vista cruiser wagon roof treatment....If they leaked, the interior and floorboards are probaly shot

27. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Faconizer62..... Think most aren't aware that the "Mural" you made mention off, and a lot of other's were really Copies of Famed "fantasy" artist Frank Frazetta. Customers always requested "the Molly Hatchet" cover of the Reaper on the horse- That was a Frazetta Too. If ya wanna see where all the 60's artists "lifted" their stuff ,do An image search of Frazetta. He never got credit for A LOT of Van Art. I still have "Plate" books that are out of print, that I used to show guys. Opps - I did too.

28. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That van should be saved, just because it could be parked in convenienly offensive places.

All those 70s vans ended up in Mexico. I see dozens of those everyday. They typically aren't the coolest ones but the ones with the mail order blister windows and shag carpet. Lots of the "conversion vans" too with the ladders that go to the roof. Most are battered beyond belief and have some 40-50 year old grubby guy and his equally grubby wife with about 8 kids inside.

60s vans are pretty rare over there though.

29. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Thats hilarious! thats where they went... should have signed my murals in spanish.

30. I saw that van while looking for an S-10 pedal assy. for my Merc. I went out about 2 weeks later and it was gone. Our PAP usually won't sell cars outright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.