Register now to get rid of these ads!

Methods for holding down a Model A hood with no hood sides...ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xadamx, Sep 13, 2007.

1. xadamx

xadamx

I just got a nice, clean, original hood top section for my 1930 Ford roadster. I want to be able to use it sometimes so I am trying to get together some ideas on a cool way to affix it to the cowl and grille shell. I like the old T speedster straps, or leather straps with the zip-zig spring tighteners. Any other suggestions. Thanks a lot...

Here is a shot of the car with a photoshoped hood that I did...to give an idea.

Attached Files:

2. 80's Caddy hearses, depending on who made them, have some neat little chrome latches inside on the compartments below the table that would be perfect for that sort of thing. Sitting around in the garage at the funeral home, the frames rot out, so they turn up in junkyards now and then -

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Leather straps?

Internal pins into firewall & radiator shell?

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Burl made small steel "L" brackets to use in the front. The long side of the L has a piece of small rod welded to it which slips into one of the rolls which hold the original hood rods. The short side bolts to a hole in the lip of the radiator shell. In the rear he made a cross brace which runs from side to side which has pins which slide into the hood rod rolls and stick out to the rear and slip into plastic-bushed holes in the firewall.

5. What about these Adam?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talk to Steve Dennish (another Brit) at Limeworks

porknbeaner and dana barlow like this.
  6. xadamx

xadamx

That last one looks good...and kind of what I was thinking, but I have been looking and have no clue as to where to find those springs. Does anyone else?

7. Adam,

Steve Dennish at Limeworks sells the kit, http://www.limeworksspeedshop.com/

dana barlow likes this.
  8. Here's a slightly different take on a 33-34 Ford.Don't know what it was made from;if I can get hold of Mark Kirby I'll ask him.It's one of his friends.

Attached Files:

9. 5window

5window

Make sure you are sitting down when you look at how much that system costs!!

10. xadamx

xadamx

I know...it is kinda costly, and doesn't include the leather. I am just trying to find those springs so I can make my own. Not easy to find...

11. damnfingers

damnfingers

xadamx - check out http://www.restorationstuff.com

Download their catalog (pdf) and check out page 30. Has those springs and fasteners - not nearly as expensive as Limeworks. The footman loops are on page 31.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I made some spring loaded pins that fit in the hinge loops on my 32 Sport coupe.

I've seen bungy cords stretched from side to side underneath. I would like to do the same for my 34 P/U. I was checking out this 34 P/U with no hood sides and I couldn't see what kept the tops down. Finally I asked the owner what keeps the top panels down?...he said nothing and flipped the top panels up to prove it. Only the center hinge and gravity holds them on. He says it never flaps.:D You may not need anything...he didn't. He did have a nice fit at the cowl without anything pulling it down.

13. I'm a big fan of Dzus buttons.

porknbeaner likes this.
  14. I used a couple off small turnbuckles from the front of the hood to the rad shell, they are hidden, cant be seen but easy to access.

15. RatBone

RatBone

dont use the bungees going across under the hood, it pulls the
    edges of the hood against the cowl and rubs the paint/primer down to bare metal. Leather straps pulling straight down are the best way to go. The pins into the rad shell and cowl is good if you want the floating look.

16. gas pumper

gas pumper

WARNING: Don't look here unless you have at least an hour to devote to the mission:D

Ton's of cool stuff.

Frank

17. xadamx

xadamx

I knew I would get all the good info here. Looks like restorationstuff.com has everything I need...should be able to build all the straps for $100 or so.

18. turdytoo

turdytoo

I put the top on like stock, I put brazing rods in for the side panel hinge with line clamps in the front and rear most openings for the side panels. hook a tarp fastener though one side then to the other side front and rear. Total cost; 4 NAPA line clamps , 2 tarp rubber fasteners and 2 non fluxed brazing rods.

19. Kustm52

Kustm52

So that's where the choprods roadster went....

20. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guy I got my 32 from srewed it on!

21. telriv

telriv
    from Conn.

Believe it or not, I used "Velcro" at the front & rear edges of the cowl & radiator. Then fastened a turn buckle at the very front using the side panel hinges. Kinda a PIA to fasten & unfasten, but doesn't go any where or flop around.

Tom T.

22. Dirty2

Dirty2

Do you have any pictures ?

23. blazedogs

blazedogs

In regards to holding down just the top hood section, no sides- on a 29 Model A coupe Have the same issue and question
    I don,t like the strap method,velcro etc. I would rather bolt it down , although I want it easy and quick to remove and a ( clean look).. Any other ideas ?? Gene in Mn

24. blazedogs

blazedogs

One of the members suggested using Dzus Buttons. Excuse my ignorance but what are Dyus Buttons? Any pictures ?

25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Google Dzus fasteners. Racers use them on fenders, hoods, trunk lids etc.

dana barlow likes this.
  26. I am with Johnny here. During one of the wars they started using a fastener called a Dzus fastener (button) and they were tits. They work for me.

They are also known as quarter turn fasteners and cam locks. Here is a pic that may help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    brEad likes this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I did this about 4 years ago. Pull 2 quick pins, and the side hinges up. It requires some welding to the radiator side channel. IMG_5988.JPG IMG_5989.JPG IMG_5990.JPG IMG_5993.JPG

Tim, brEad and hfh like this.
  28. mopacltd

mopacltd

Monte, that is darn close to what I did on my 5 window.

29. 6sally6

6sally6

Instead of velcro what about a couple of those really strong/small magnets?! The weight of the hoods sides will keep it closed except when flying over bumps! Right?!
    6sally6
    What do I know...I gotta Mustang (although it was a REAL surprise when the hood came up while at speed!!:eek:)