Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "So-Cal Special", 1940s Aussie Hot Rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Sep 8, 2007.

1. At the annual Speed on Tweed motor sport festival they had the largest collection of Australian GP winners ever assembled and among them was this Ford special, I thought this may be of some interest to the HAMB.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Wow Jamie, where do you dig these history item up from??

Hey that'd be great for the street.

3. Hey Mark, I don't know, I pay attention to these things I guess.

The "White Car" (So-Cal) would but needs a lot to be RW again.

The "Red Car" is registered though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Well.....it sure wasn't pretty!

Interesting to note the underslung chassis. Will have to give it a better read later.

Thanks Jamie.

5. noboD

noboD

Is it 2 differant cars, red and unpainted? The sign with the red car calls it a replica. Kind of stylish, thanks for posting.

6. flatoz

flatoz

cool as shit,

thanks Jamie.

7. G'day Wayne, I noticed that too when I was looking at how they got the car so low, pretty cool. The "Red Car" I don't think is underslung, it appears to have a more conventional chassis layout, it maybe Z'ed, I should of checked. :eek:
    That's for sure.

Yeah two different cars. The white car has exposed alloy bonnet and sides which is/was popular with specials. It is pretty well a survivor. The original "Red Car" was a later build so more refined. G.Reed built a number of similar specials, this particular car is a clone/replica.

No worries Corey.

8. Cool story and pics.

Would have been a lot of fun driving on the streets in a car that handled and had horsepower to boot.

It's good to see a bit of Aussie history being saved as well.

9. A4ord

A4ord

The So-Cal special was always good to watch(and listen to).Seeing it at Bathurst,Catalina Park,Warwick Farm,Oran Park along with the other specials at the time was what old time racing was all about.Eventually progress caught up with them all and turned them into nostalgia.I remember some good races at Catalina Park when he replaced the flathead with GM V8 plus multiple carbs and used to smoke 'em up the hill to Craven A corner,you could here him coming above the other cars.Have to find the programs to remember the capacity but I think it was over 6 litres.Keep on roddin'.