Register now to get rid of these ads!

Running Y blocks Lincoln engines ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercjoe, Sep 3, 2007.

1. mercjoe

mercjoe

You are rioght, besides its a cool rare engine. I already bought it..,
    Ill post pics as soon as I bring it home.
    Still.., Im not sure if its a 386.., nobody answered about the codes !!!

Thanks all
    D.

2. ECU usually means a 368 block casting so far as I am aware...I have only seen a couple of 368s, which had that call-out...haven't seen any other Lincoln Ys with ECU...but the rest of the number looks incomplete. I'm guessing that it is actually a 6015, which simply identifies the part as a block, like 6090 identifies a cylinder head....& E would normally represent a casting revision.

That's my best 1/2-ass guess. :D

3. turdytoo

turdytoo

4. turdytoo

turdytoo

Lloyd Bakan built.

5. The Lincoln Y has conventionally shaped/placed ports, rather than the stacked ports of the Ford/Mercury Y.

6. cornernfool

cornernfool

I've got a 332 Ford(Lincoln) truck motor thats marked ECT on the outside, but in the valley its marked ECU. Is that common and do you think its possible to punch it out to 4 inch? Thanks, Mike.

7. looz nutz

looz nutz

There was a tread here were big bad linc modified a Olsd intake manifold to fit his Lincoln motor. I have the thread I will post it for you tomorrow.

8. mercjoe

mercjoe

Mine reads "Turnpike ...." on just one valve cover ....
    I know It was taken from a 57 Turnpike cruiser , is it suposed to be exactly the same 368 on Lincoln cars ?

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The other side was covered by the aircleaner. I've seen some guys use 2 right side valve covers. It's the only year Mercury used this motor.

10. mercjoe

mercjoe

cool...., thanks Tommy

11. mercjoe

mercjoe

12. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

The engine above is a 368 that powered the "Mermaid" Mercury. The Lincoln Y's had conventional side by side ports while the Ford Y's had the stacked intake ports. The Lincoln Y's share the same bore center with the later FE engines (352, 390, 406, 427, etc.) of 4.63". The Ford Y's are 4.38" bore centers just like the SBF's. Seems to me that in this computerized day and age a stroker crank could be ground for the Y- blocks from the same forgings that are used for the later and more popular Ford engines. They are very similar in design anyway, since the Y- block era is where Ford started with the center main thrust bearing.

13. mercjoe

mercjoe

Thanks Henry, but I wonder what is ont that engines ports, carbs ?
    is it fuel injected ?!.

Thx
    D.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes it is fuel injected. Looks like an early Hilborn unit.

15. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

the oilpan interchanges? the LYB is a longer engine. correct me if i'm wrong.

16. mercjoe

mercjoe

Great info Zig zag, thanks a lot.

17. mercjoe

mercjoe

What the f.... !?!?! who's the owner of that ? !?! any specs ?

18. ocamocam

ocamocam

I got a truck bell housing with a t5 adaptor for sale ,also a 368 Harvey aluminum flywheel ...need a light car for this though,Cliff

19. Ya might go to http://ford-y-block.com/yblockpage.htm and to http://www.y-blocksforever.com/ Between these two sites there will be about everything you want to know about a Y-block. The forum on y-blocksforever is a little slow compared to the HAMB but there are die hard Y-blockers on there.

20. Southfork

Southfork

I guess I missed this thread the first time around. I'm glad it came up again though because I have been trying lately to ID a Lincoln Y-block engine that I have. I now know that if all else fails, I can pull a head and measure the bore and stroke. BTW, mine is, I believe, a truck engine because it has the Ram's horn exhaust manifolds. There is a casting number on the back of the block behind and below the driver's side head that has a 3-character alphabetical followed by 6015 ---which as somebody said stands for engine "block". The casting of the 3 alphabetical characters that precedes 6015 is hard to decipher because there is a scrape in the block lettering right there. the third character is the least damaged, and kind of looks like a "B". Any Lincoln gurus have any suggestions?

21. EAD 317 cu. in. V8 1952-54. Early Lincoln OHV engine.
    EBJ 341 cu. in. V8 1955. Early Lincoln OHV engine.
    ECU 368 cu. in. V8 1956-57. Early Lincoln OHV engine.
    EAD 317 cu. in. V8 1952-54. Early Lincoln OHV engine.
    EAD 317 cu. in. V8 1952-54. Early Lincoln OHV engine.
    EAM 317 cu. in. V8 1954 Ford HD truck.

From the Y-block page of Mummerts ..

22. 368 c.i. Lincoln
    In fact it was the largest displacement V8 available from anyone in Detroit when it came out.

except maybe the 1955 dual quad Packard 352 ci then in 1956 duad quad Packard 374 c.i.

love the Lincolns but lets get the facts right :D

23. mercjoe

mercjoe

Still looking for a multicarb intake ....

24. rustysleds

rustysleds

Can a person use a harmonic balancer from a 1957 lincoln engine on a 1954 317ci engine or are they different ? the reason I would like to do this is because I want to put on a 1957 water pump it will bolt right up but it has a longer neck on it so the belt pulley on the crank would need to be changed will this work?

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  25. vertible59

vertible59

Now you are cookin'. The '57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser was quite a ride in its day, and the 368 swapped into a '55 or '56 Ford made for a real sleeper. That cast aluminum Turnpike Cruiser valve cover badge is kinda rare in itself. You done good!:)

26. Merkonic

Merkonic

I am going to use a 53 317 with a truck bell housing and custom made adapter for a mid 50's Kaiser T86 3spd in a 33 Ford.I also have a 368 from a 57 Merc Turnpike Cruiser.The head casting# ECU-E.Have to move some junk to read the eng #.
    Yeah,these engines definetly fall in the "dare to be different category",Hard,but not impossible to get parts for,and as you can see from the replies theres alot of expertise on this list as to what interchanges with what.I just scored a nice rebuilt WCFB carb at Rhinebeck last week,the box said it was for a 57 Plymouth,fits the 317 &368 perfect.Also Victory header flanges makes a set of flanges for these,I got a set.

27. cobrabreeze

cobrabreeze
    from Renton, WA

Hi,
    I'm shopping for an engine. Do you stll have the 368? Great pic of a great president.
    Fred

28. George G

George G

Will you have any issues getting rebuild parts in Argentina?

29. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

http://[​IMG][ got mine cleaned up a bit ,running great[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    cobrabreeze likes this.
  30. mel430

mel430

Were you able to find some one to make a casting of your valve covers?