Register now to get rid of these ads!

Running Y blocks Lincoln engines ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercjoe, Sep 3, 2007.

1. mercjoe

mercjoe

Hey guys,

A friend of mine offered me a 57 Lincoln 368 he had hidden for $800.
    Havent dig much for info on this engines and wonder
    if it could be a good street engine.

A casting number on the engine reads ECU-015E.., is it
    really a 368 number ?

Anybody running one of this ? pictures ?

http://www.ford-y-block.com/lincoln.htm

Any help and info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Diego

2. mercjoe

mercjoe

3. there are guys are into the them here....just the right ones who can answer your question have seen this yet

hold on..be patient

4. mercjoe

mercjoe

Thanks 3window, I'll be patient

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I've got the hots to run one in my 56 Ford. I recently picked up this Edmunds 2 4 intake and carbs. Rebuild parts seem to be easy to find...EBAY if nothing else but hot rods parts are rare and expensive. I'm learning just like you.

Here is a good post that may be of help.

6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I love this pic. Barris built I believe.

Attached Files:

7. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Attached Files:

8. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

and Pat McGuire at Wilcap's offering....

http://www.wilcap.com/ford.html

Of course it would be cool if you could do the t- 5 swap with factory stuff. I'm adding this stuff if you end up stuck and can't find the originals. A phone call to Wilcap would be helpful I'm sure because Pat McGuire is one of the nicest and most sincere guys to deal with. Maybe he can help you find some stuff.

I hope some Lincoln Y guru's chime in. I'm not sure what the stumbling block would be in utilizing a Truck Y bell. There is a boneyard around here that had numerous late `50's early `60's trucks with the Lincoln style Y's in them. If you find out they'll work PM me and I'll try to get up there and see what I can get for you.

I say do the 368. That is one very powerful and unusual V8 for a hot rod. In fact it was the largest displacement V8 available from anyone in Detroit when it came out. Ford should have done a retrofit kit and crate motor program back then, the moonshiners would have loved them. Believe it or not Ford DID have a retrofit program that supplied kits with all the pieces needed to replace the 337 flatheads with the new truck OHV V8's in the heavier truck models.

Attached Files:

9. belair

belair

Don't know much, but 800 seems high to me, and I know that not all Ford Y-block parts will interchange.

10. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

11. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

i got to talkin to a guy who had a 317 Y? had a heck of a time finding gaskets for anything on the block. had to purchase a complete set every time for like $100. thats about all i know about em. the standard 292-312 seems to be the easier and cheaper way to go.

12. Royce B., who is into the Lincoln Y more than anyone else I know, used a Lincoln-to-late-flathead adapter, & then the common late-flathead-to-T-5 adapter, to get there. I think he used the Mustang T-5 which has a longer input shaft.

The Lincoln adapters were made by Offy & Cragar & pop up on eBay every once in a while...the flathead-T-5 adapters are still made, & I believe Speedway carries them.

There were a few other bells available to run later transmissions, but they are very expensive nowadays.

It is also possible to use a late Saginaw 3-speed or Sag 4-speed behind one, using the common truck bell & flywheel, which is a much cheaper option. Some minor hole mods & a bearing sleeve & you're good to go.

The later 302/332 truck intakes have the standard Holley four-barrel pattern on them. Most of the vintage cam grinders like Berry Cams, Chris Nielsen, etc. can set you up with valve gear. The '57-later distributors can be converted to electronic...or, use a Y block distributor with the Lincoln gear & run whatever you like.

Best Gasket makes individual pieces for the Lincoln Y, or complete sets.

Not the cheapest engine in the world to build...but, what first-gen OHV is (excluding the SBC...)?

13. mercjoe

mercjoe

Thanks for all the answers..., really helpfull. I think I'll make a $500 offer.
    I guess Ill go for it...., for what Homespun tells is not that hard to build it. Of course its more expensive.., my flathead was expensive..What the heck, I dont see any thrill on building a 350 SBC.

Ive got a later 4 saginaw already !! gotta get a bellhousing though.

If I make a deal Ill get the 368.., I also think $800 is way too much.

Thanks everyone
    Diego.

14. mercjoe

mercjoe

Egge carries pistons, rings, etc. Not racing stuff but good stuff though I'd get it for street use anyway.

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Misc gaskets were on ebay when I was doing mine. Wasnt a huge problem.

Basically nothing interchanges w/ Ford except I think oil pump, obviously carbs, and the distributor. Much easier to find an electronic components listed for a Y block than the Linc, but they drop in. Even if nothing else if your engine is pre 57 you can just use a more modern points style to get rid of the Loadomatic.

Later Y *truck app* have the intake you want, or, if yours is 57 Linc, it will have it as well. This is the modern Holley/Edelbrock configuration. Later truck motors whihc I believe are 54-63 or so are 302 and 332 (might be another one in there) The 2 mentioned are steel cranks I believe. I believe the 332 is an underbored 368, and the 302 is an entire different animal. Has been awhile since I went to the dark side (SBC) haha. So hard to remember all this stuff.

Anywho, the exhaust manifolds are completely different, people always think they will swap with their Ford counterparts. Most likely if the engine you are looking at has rams horns it was a truck motor...especially if it has the fan riser on it (which puts the fan right at intake level) People often just say they have a Linc 368 even though it isnt. I didnt know myself until I pulled it apart. Had it sold for quite some time, ended up refunding the money and relisting it.

As listed as well, the trans adapters from Wilcap. Kick ass way to go. Hope some of this babble helps and that at least 50% of it is accurate haha.

16. mercjoe

mercjoe

Thanks Union, but what do you think about building one of those ?
    Why did you have to refund the guy for the 368 ?

D.

17. cornernfool

cornernfool

Joe, if it needs rebuilding I have some NOS piston/ring sets along with bearings.

Don't know if your motor has a trans or not, but I'm currently building a fixture to relocate the alignment dowells on an FE bellhousing to mate to a Lincoln Y-block. I plan on running a top loader 4-speed, but if a guy wanted he could buy the mustang adapter and install a t-5 pretty effortlessly.

I also converted a 85 mustang gt stick distributer to fit the lincoln. The housing are the same length, so I machined the upper half of the lincoln shaft to accept the late electronics and installed it in the late housing. It now uses all duraspark components, blue box and coil.

I have a real cherry set of Lincoln Continental aluminum valve covers I'd love to use to repop some more if anyone knows someone doing casting.

Good luck and if you have any questions PM me, Mike.

18. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

19. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Here is a pic of my 341 lincoln with a T-4 adapted to a truck bell.[​IMG] the trans only needed a little work to fit,uncle scoob here on the hamb is making exaust flanges for these motors, got me pair super nice.

20. mercjoe

mercjoe

The one im looking to buy was automatic (the tranny is not there)...,
    what should I consider ?

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I guess it would be cool. I had a 56 Lincoln and bought the extra motor incase I wiped mine out. Other than that Im not totally into the vintage mill thing.

I had to refund the money as it turned out to be a 302, and he had his heart set on a 368. Same looks, just difference internally.

22. the lincoln engien is very powerfull engine for his time but its heavy to find speedparts ,as far i know oilpan,dist. and oil pump interchange with ford y blocks ,yesterday i mounted a petronix in the original dist (my engine is a 53) on the petronix box wqas labeled ford 54-56 it was a bolt on and it runs.

23. mercjoe

mercjoe

So you have a Lincoln Mill running on one of your cars....., how is it ?
    A casting number on the engine reads ECU-015E.., is it really a 368 ?

24. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

It's true that I've got header flanges for these engines 317 341 and 368 and also the 430 and 462 engines. Beyond that, there isn't much available for these things...but then again, they don't need much. They made way more power than what a flathead or other common rod engines make. Find some nice continental finned valve covers and you are good to go. It would be very easy to make a log manifold if you need multiple carbs.

25. mercjoe

mercjoe

Hi unclescooby, Just make the flanges ? what about the headers ?
    What you say is right, I'll get the engine.., thought there are not many reacing parts I wont be needing much more than a pair of headers, new intake and carb/s.

Thanks !!

26. nexxussian

nexxussian

I remember a thread about a guy making adapters (one off) to put a Chevy intake on a Y block. I thought I read about it here somewhere. FWIW the adapters in question were fitted to a blower manifold.

Hope that helps.

27. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

We just make the flanges (stubbed or unstubbed plus matching CNC cut gaskets). Headers are too specific in their applications. Zoomies are easy to make but otherwise we'd need the car to make headers for your application.

28. it is in my 53 lincoln and i think it has plenty of power , may like a 318 mopar block in a cvaliant or so

29. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

"It's true that I've got header flanges for these engines 317 341 and 368 and also the 430 and 462 engines. Beyond that, there isn't much available for these things...but then again, they don't need much."

A- MEN!!!! What I've been saying all along. A 368 Lincoln engine is already a hi- performance engine. A factory hot rod if you will. They already have the bottom end strength, the cubes, the premium valvetrain that must be bought and added on with some other "cheaper" designs. Guarunteed you're not going to push out a press in rocker stud on a 368 Lincoln. You're talking 300 hp from the factory with 400 # ft of torque stock. It'd be interesting to see if you could find a light piston forging with a modern ring pack, combined with some modern stainless valves and good valvesprings. Get the critical dimensions and talk to the tech people at various manufacturers and I'll bet you could score. As stated the Ford Y- block dizzys work with the Lincoln gear so that's pretty good. I'd love to toy with one of these if I could get my hands on one.

http://books.google.com/books?id=KD...Qr6n&sig=Kd10KWSnq9HPNE0tjpg25yXlXvI#PPA98,M1