Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Drags Smoky Wheelie and Spin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Marlett, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

The first of my pictures from the HAMB Drags just had to be...
    Did you notice the fuel sloshing out from the centrifugal force? And the bow for the crowd was a beautiful finish.

Attached Files:

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Great shots! What camera were you using, had to be clicking pretty fast.
    Thanks for sharing.
    GV

3. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Wicked Cool, Jim!

4. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Great pics man! Look at the bow in that frame when he came down!

DAYUM!

5. Anybody who does a sideways burnout wheelie donut is a bad somebich if you ask me. Freakin sweet.

6. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice shots. Thanks for posting..

7. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

The camera was a Canon 30D. I wasn't using the autowind (or whatever the digital equivalent might be). Each image was a separate push of the button. I can't believe I got them all off when I look at the videos. It sure happened fast! There is a little missing segment in the middle of the spin where I was getting ready to clear the guardrail cause it looked like it was coming my way, but about half way into the spin, I decided I wasn't going to have to run for it, so I started shooting again.

8. Ole don

Ole don

To be able to capture that on film is really super. Thanks for sharing.

9. Is that fuel coming outta the vent? Or did a line come off?

Thanks again Jim, fun saying hi to ya.

10. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Amen.

11. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

You're pics are always the best. Thanks for more great drag pics.

12. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

On a full resolution picture you can see two AN fittings on the top of the tank. The one on the far side is a 90º fitting attached to the fuel injection return line. The other is a 150º AN fitting with no line attached to it being used as a vent. This is clearly seen in pictures of the car made before the run that I haven't posted yet. Seeing fuel come out of a vent line on a mechanically fuel injected car is really not that unusual. I have seen it on cars going straight down the track, but with poorly designed vents. I believe, but have no actual proof, that the return line foams and vaporizes the fuel (usually alcohol) so much that it creates a positive pressure in the tank, rather than a vacuum, even though fuel is being taken out of it. I suspect it depends on how much is being used at any given moment vs. how much fuel is being vaporize when it returns to the tank.

So the short answer is yes, out of the tank vent.

13. Wow!

So what actually happened? Throttle stick?

Sam.

14. You meen lucky !

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

THIS:

[​IMG]

IS FUCKING AWESOME!

16. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Just came in from the garage and seen this thread title. And thought this could be me.
    Mr. Marlett- Great shots, I was still sittin in the car and you were showin me photos. I couldnt wait to see them. Great job.
    Tman- We fueled that bitch for a 1/8mile pass and shit didnt work out. That is a shitty vent that needs to be better but damn I work on so much stuff, simple important things sometimes get over looked. Anybody that visited our pits knows we are drag racers. Bust ass to get it done and have a good time doing it. But when it is seat time serious as hell.
    SamIyam- Quote "throttle stick". NO ,, I just matted that fucker and let out the twin disc lock up clutch as quick as I could and let her eat. This is my maiden voyage in this thing,(on a drag strip). Wasnt shure what was gonna happened and I found out. With some seat time things will improve. LOOKIN FOR BIG EMPTY PARKING LOT IN ST.LOUIS AREA TO DO TESTIN ON. As the only track that will let a period car like this run around here is 2 1/2 hours away. Momma always said practice makes perfect.
    lBB41- Quote " you mean lucky" Yeah a little bit.

17. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Closer inspection of this photos reveals...

A) You CLOSED YOUR EYES!!
    B) Some people never seen a classic digger get a bit squirrely.

Attached Files:

18. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

I'm sure you realize that a parking lot won't be nearly as sticky as a drag strip and you're about a gazillion times more likely to go wheels-up on the strip.

At least your vent is at the front of the tank. I swear I've seen them at the back and then the car owner just can't figure out why it pukes fuel on every run. I also suspect that nitro doesn't vaporize as easily as alcohol, although I don't have any experience with nitro. So when classic dragsters with period tanks built for nitro puke fuel when using alcohol, I suspect it wasn't a problem for the original. Besides, more nitro actually goes into the engine creating an environment that may actually result in a vacuum through the vent. I don't know. It's too late for thinking.

19. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Yeah.... that is why a split seccond later (next photo) it is landing with the wheels straight.

20. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Oh and to answer your point B. Now I realize your fuckin with me.

21. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Yes I do, but just figuring if it is a spinnig the tires problem it can be resolved easier on a surface that is slick everywhere. Other than a track that has a "groove".

22. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

lift already!! stayed in it way to long, especially on those tires. awsome pics of the action though. very, very impressive.

23. Rusty

Rusty

24. His eyes werent closed, look at the spec side video. The reason those wheels are going right? The car was going left, too bad yopu cant steer in the air:eek: :D KC was on total instinct there! landing wheels right is what put him into the donut.

25. Domn8r

Domn8r
    from Helena, MO

Nice shots thanks for sharing

26. Nice shots Jim.
    I was snapping like crazy before I realized my memory stick was full.
    Thanks for the great pics.

27. bigken

bigken

Killer shots, love the stop-action......
    Bri, hang in there, you'll get 'er ironed out.

28. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Tman- I believe you are correct sir. I straightened them out, BUT not quite enuff. They still were right a little. At least that explains the dougnut. Now need to find out why it went left while in the wheelie. I should have lifted a little as it was setteling down, would have helped alot. I have alot to learn. At least we have had something to talk about this week.

Attached Files:

29. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

FINALLY! i cant look at vid yet with this dialup so ive been out the loop....those pics fuckin rock....brian...you drove that thing like and animal! i was at the other end of the trck preparin to see ya come by when i seen the donutl...i was drunk enough to think.....whats that crazy fuckin missourian doin a donut for?" then i came to and realized it wasnt on purpose!!!:D dude,,, you bring that fucker to the RR next may and we can do the koolest lil town burnout in history!:cool:
    todd

30. I think if you would have stayed in it a little longer you could have pulled out of it on the second rotation!!!! Hell of a show. If you ever get it down Georgia way(twelve hours from St. Louie) I am friends with the local track owner and can almost guarantee a exhibition pass..... He is having a 50'th anniversary gathering and you are more than welcome to join!!!!