Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Build (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RClark, Aug 28, 2007.

1. RClark

RClark

It is finally time to start a build thread. I've been gathering parts all summer and I've gotten held up on a couple of items, but now that i got my frame from Eric it is time to begin.

Here is a little background on the build:
    I've been looking for a solid starting point for some time now. Two and a half years I think. Solid project cars are hard to come by in my part of the world. I ended up building a 'glass t-bucket that has since been sold. Then I picked up my '60 Belair here on the Hamb last year. Real cool car, but not exactly a project. It has become a daily driver for me.
    Then I found a '55 Belair on Christmas day. Bought it the next day. Started working on it, stripping it down, gathering parts, etc. My plans are to run it at Bonneville one day.
    I've always loved '55 's, but I really wanted a bad ass, low slung, A sedan. So when my dad called me about one he found in the local paper I was all over it. I figured it would be junk like everything else I find close to home but I drove the hour and a half just to be sure.
    Low and behold it wasn't junk. It was actually to finest example I'd had seen in a long time!

So it began.
    The '55 went on the back burner and I started a shopping list for the '28.
    Here are some pics when I picked it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RClark

RClark

Once I got it home and made some room for it in the shop I started cleaning it up a bit. First I tried ospho. It got a lot of the crustier surface rust off the interior of the body but it just wasn't quite cutting it. So, off to the striper it went for sandblasting and a coat of epoxy primer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. RClark

RClark

And some more after if got primed.
    [​IMG]

4. RClark

RClark

I had originally planned on running a small block with three dueces. I also ordered a frame back in April but it never got built. But the HAMB did come through. I just got a frame delivered Monday that was built by Eric (Riley Automotive). It looks like I got the first one of many. I also picked up a '59 348 w/ three dueces from another HAMBer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. RClark

RClark

And here is the frame.
    [​IMG]

6. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good--I'm over in Pensacola

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Is that one of Vaphead's frames ??? It looks a good start.

8. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Cool. I wasn't hip to Eric's frames but good to know for an upcoming build.
    Keep the progress and posts coming....it's looking real good...I can dig the 348 action.

-CC-

9. RClark

RClark

That is correct. That is the one that he had pictures of on another thread.

10. RClark

RClark

It's exactly what I was looking for. Perfect for what I'm building. And it was at my front door within two weeks of speaking to him.
    Yeah..... The 348 wasn't in the original plans but once I got the oppertunity it had to be.

Roger

11. RClark

RClark

Thanks for the compliments. You're the nearest HAMBer i've come across. Anything hot rod related going on in Pensacola?

12. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

besides my garage-the sat.night cruise at burger king

13. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

That shop looks vaguely familiar. Project is coming together nicely.

14. RClark

RClark

I got a lot more done today,but I forgot to take the camera with me. Here are some from last night though.
    Measuring how much room I have for chopping/channeling.
    [​IMG]
    Getting the floor marked for channeling.
    [​IMG]

15. pitman

pitman

You are going to have gobs of torque w/that motor! I'd suggest that you might try a 3.08 or 3.23 rear end ratio. It will not lack for guts:rolleyes:
    Nice looking frame too!

16. RClark

RClark

I picked up a '55- '64 rearend last week. It was cheap and the right size for what I needed. Got it home and found out it was a 3.36.
    Just about right.

17. Cruiser

Cruiser

RClark,

:cool: You have the makings of a real cool ride, '29's are great great body style. The 348 Chevy has always been a cool looking engine and very different. You have made some good choices. Good luck on the build................

Cruiser:cool:

18. RClark

RClark

Thanks for the kind words. I've been building this car in my head for a long time. Luckily all the parts have just fallen together at the right time. I couldn't have planned it any better.

19. My 348 has a 409 cam and roller rockers otherwise stock. With T-5 trans and 3.55 gears, opening up those outboard carbs makes it run like a raped ape. Great engine choice!

20. RClark

RClark

You wouldn't happen to have a spare oil pan or distributor that you want to sell do you? I'm not sure about my trans choice yet. I've got a Super T-10 that I may use unless I find something else soon.
    Have you got any pics of yours? I found an old thread of it but the pics where gone. And where did you get your lakesters?
    Roger

21. Sorry, no spare parts. I'm running an original dizzy (has the oiling tube!) with pertronix conversion. That tranny is a good choice. The T-5 is O.K. if you don't beat on it but I'd rather have something that could "take it" Headers are Sanderson, $750 with ceramic coating.

Attached Files:

22. RClark

RClark

Got some more done today. I got the floor cut out, raised four inches and reinstalled. Not completely but enough that I could get the frame under it and locate the rest of the floor.
    It's my first time chanelling a car and I've done it diferent than any I've seen so let me know what you think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Rudgeman

Rudgeman
    from New Jersey

Looks good man, I'm just about in the same spot and I was going to order a frame from eric and was wondering how things are working out? Where do you think the rear tires will sit in relation to the body?

24. kwiksilver

kwiksilver

Looks sweet! Your ESP is working on the sub floor. My idea exactly. Now I have an instruction post. Thanks

25. RClark

RClark

I haven't set up the rear suspension yet. I'm shooting for them to be right about the fender line on the body. I'll know next week.

26. RClark

RClark

I've never seen one done that way, but it made sense to me. I didn't really see any reason for a complete tubular sub frame like some of them I've seen.

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

cool project, can't wait to see more progress pics.

28. Great start for sure, You dont happen to have some more close up pics of the floor you are putting in do you? Thanks

29. RClark

RClark

I'll have more photos this weekend.

30. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER